The things that stop you (me!) fishing

fishplate42

Reaction score
From where I live in London there are not many venues locally to fish. Our small local river is only just about fishable, and although better than nothing, it is limited. The next best thing is a small commercial about half an hour's drive away. But this is lacking in the necessary facilities and has some rules that don't suit me.

All this means that if I am going to another commercial, I need to leave early just to clear the traffic, as we live just inside the South Circular road. I am the first to admit that I am not keen of fishing in the rain or traipsing through the mud.

36660469674_7c02e561b4_c.jpg

After a spell of beautifully dry weather, perfect for me, where work had prevented me from going fishing, I had made up my mind to go today. Last night it started to rain it was pouring down. Okay, perhaps it will clear, was my thoughts. I decided to wait a while and see how the night developed before making a decision. By now it was past midnight, and if I was going to go, I needed to get some sleep. I can make do with four hours if needed. I had virtually decided that all this was getting too much and thought I would see what the weather was like in the morning.

If that were it, I would probably be out fishing right now instead of writing this, but at about 03.30 I was woken by all the windows in the front of the house resonating in tune with what sounded like a slow running diesel engine.

The gasboard are digging up the road and have narrowed the entrance to the road opposite meaning it's hard to emerge into our road. Stuck across the street wedge between the barriers, a telegraph pole and a parked car is a long rigid refrigerated lorry, slowly shunting back and forth attempting to get around the corner.

As I was wondering if I can help in any way, the driver had apparently given up and proceded to demolish the barriers and cones to make the turn. To my amazement, he stopped (in the pouring rain) and re-erected the entire barrier system.

That was it. I had managed to get a couple of hours sleep, and now I was wide awake with no chance of getting back to sleep. With less than an hour to go until I would have to get up anyway, yet again I abandoned all thought of getting out early to go fishing.

I give up :(

Well, for now anyway ;)

What stops you from going fishing? Maybe I should just get on with it and go come rain or shine; I don't mind fishing in the rain, it is the setting up and putting away in bad weather that I hate. Being a 100% townie, I also have an aversion to mud!

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Strong wind tends to put me off. If it's chucking it down, as I'm due to depart, I tend to think twice. Once I'm set up and fishing, rain doesn't bother me. The thing most likely to stop me going is an overly high river level.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will fish in any weather conditions excluding a really high wind . . . . .

Bing single, free and over 21 there is little that actually stops me going fishing; if and when I want to . . . .

I live opposite to the Hampshire Avon and have many decent swims reasonably close to my home, so I'll often go in the knowledge that it is but a short drive home if the conditions are really against me

When I lived in surrey there as always a lot of the Royal Parks that you van fish for want of sending off for a licence.

theartist

Reaction score
Work usually stops me although I'd agree with all the negatives about the wind, not fun fishing in a gale and there are times when the fishing is amazing but you ask yourself am I enjoying this as you get battered.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After a murky start its turned out to be a very warm and sunny day down Canterbury way,spent a very pleasant few hours on the river trying my hand at lure fishing for the first time.

Not sure where you look for weather forecasts Ralph but today they got it spot on

The alternative is to take up stamp collecting, an all weather pastime.

bracket

Reaction score
The only things likely to stop me would be a coma or The Grim Reaper. Pete.

fishplate42

Reaction score
After a murky start its turned out to be a very warm and sunny day down Canterbury way,spent a very pleasant few hours on the river trying my hand at lure fishing for the first time.

Not sure where you look for weather forecasts Ralph but today they got it spot on

The alternative is to take up stamp collecting, an all weather pastime.

Yes, the weather was good here too. It was not because it was raining hard here last night I was keeping an eye on it until late. If it had not been for the lorry waking me up in the middle of the night, I would not be typing this. I just needed more sleep and missed the 'hole' in the traffic. If I leave here after 06:00 in the morning, it can take hours to get anywhere, and I miss that early morning fish - makes the day not worth the effort for me. I will do a lot more fishing when we eventually move. There is nowhere close enough to here, to make a short session practical, except for our local river, but apart from the fact that it has hardly any fish in it, I am not even sure I should be fishing that anyway.

I am now stuffed for tomorrow as my mate needs a hand tomorrow instead of the pre-arranged Monday.

Ralph :(

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From where I live in London there are not many venues locally to fish. Our small local river is only just about fishable, and although better than nothing, it is limited. The next best thing is a small commercial about half an hour's drive away. But this is lacking in the necessary facilities and has some rules that don't suit me.

All this means that if I am going to another commercial, I need to leave early just to clear the traffic, as we live just inside the South Circular road. I am the first to admit that I am not keen of fishing in the rain or traipsing through the mud.

36660469674_7c02e561b4_c.jpg

After a spell of beautifully dry weather, perfect for me, where work had prevented me from going fishing, I had made up my mind to go today. Last night it started to rain it was pouring down. Okay, perhaps it will clear, was my thoughts. I decided to wait a while and see how the night developed before making a decision. By now it was past midnight, and if I was going to go, I needed to get some sleep. I can make do with four hours if needed. I had virtually decided that all this was getting too much and thought I would see what the weather was like in the morning.

If that were it, I would probably be out fishing right now instead of writing this, but at about 03.30 I was woken by all the windows in the front of the house resonating in tune with what sounded like a slow running diesel engine.

The gasboard are digging up the road and have narrowed the entrance to the road opposite meaning it's hard to emerge into our road. Stuck across the street wedge between the barriers, a telegraph pole and a parked car is a long rigid refrigerated lorry, slowly shunting back and forth attempting to get around the corner.

As I was wondering if I can help in any way, the driver had apparently given up and proceded to demolish the barriers and cones to make the turn. To my amazement, he stopped (in the pouring rain) and re-erected the entire barrier system.

That was it. I had managed to get a couple of hours sleep, and now I was wide awake with no chance of getting back to sleep. With less than an hour to go until I would have to get up anyway, yet again I abandoned all thought of getting out early to go fishing.

I give up :(

Well, for now anyway ;)

What stops you from going fishing? Maybe I should just get on with it and go come rain or shine; I don't mind fishing in the rain, it is the setting up and putting away in bad weather that I hate. Being a 100% townie, I also have an aversion to mud!

Ralph.

Ok, you're a townie that hates mud (not the best hate to have for an angler). So fish to your tastes, a nice long lie in, leave after the rush about 10am and head for the docklands, must be less than an hour that time of day. Can only think there'ssome drop shot heaven around there amongst the suits!

iain t

Reaction score
The only real things that stop me fishing are strong gale winds, the flu or hospital appointments. The last one i can usually work around by going before or after the appointment

mikench

Reaction score
Torrential rain before setting off and an adverse forecast will usually put me off:(

I hate wind so unless I can have it behind me I tend to just feeder fish. The combination of the two is intolerable!;)

When I do go despite the weather I usually enjoy it. The trouble with life is that "events" interfere with most pleasurable pursuits with work bring the worst culprit!:rolleyes:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Ok, you're a townie that hates mud (not the best hate to have for an angler). So fish to your tastes, a nice long lie in, leave after the rush about 10am and head for the docklands, must be less than an hour that time of day. Can only think there'ssome drop shot heaven around there amongst the suits!

I didn't say I hat mud, I said I have an aversion to mud! ;)

If I want to go urban fishing in the docks, yes I can do that, and I do. If I want to fish the Regent's Canal, I will go early to avoid the boat traffic. Today I was aiming to fish a 'natural' pond that is in a hollow. With heavy rain overnight I knew the ground would have been soft so I wanted to get there at first light and if it was too muddy (for my liking) I would go and fish elsewhere.

This plan was derailed by the lorry getting stuck in the roadworks outside our house at 03:30 this morning.

Ralph :(

Keith M

Reaction score
The thought of setting up in freezing cold and persistent rain usually gets me staying in bed these days, because I don't get a lot of joy from trudging to a swim soaked through and shivering on a cold winters day; although if the rain starts after I've got settled under my wavelock brollie and I'm fairly warm and dry then I'm happy as Larry.

Another thing that will keep me at home is; if violent thunder and lightning storms are forecast during the day; even though one of my most productive Carp sessions; when every Carp in the lake seemed to be climbing up my line; happened during a violent thunder and lightning storm back in the days of glass fibre and cane rods; but I'm a lot older and wiser today and holding a carbon fibre lightening conductor (rod) in my hands could likely be the last thing that I did :)

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Just the obligations of marriage and family. Being retired I imagined every day would be available to fish. Not so it seems. Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.

mikench

Reaction score
That's disgraceful John!:) I hope it is not a reflection of what retirement is like!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Setting up in the rain is one of the worst scenarios,rain together with a strong wind usually has me staying at home.If these conditions turn up once I am fishing then so be it although I then agree with the late Fred J - 'I'll be glad when I've had enough of this'

Philip

Reaction score
Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.

Your yanking my chain John right ? Twice a week ON AVERAGE this year !

I'm lucky if I manage twice a month and then its for a snatched hour or two.

I shouldnt complain as to be honest I have loads of free time...Midnight to 7am is usually free but unfortunatly pesky sleep tends to get in the way..:D

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Just the obligations of marriage and family. Being retired I imagined every day would be available to fish. Not so it seems. Looking at my diary I have only managed a miserable twice a week average so far this year.

I know how you feel John, its once a week if I am lucky,
there is that much getting in the way of going I wonder how I managed to find
time to go to work, When I retired I thought great out most days.

john step

Reaction score
I know how you feel John, its once a week if I am lucky,
there is that much getting in the way of going I wonder how I managed to find
time to go to work, When I retired I thought great out most days.

Yes in previous years I felt hard done by if I was out less than 4 complete days a week with a couple of weeks off for holidays!!
After getting my current obligations out of the way I shall endeavour to be more considerate to the tackle trade.:D