Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default The things that stop you (me!) fishing

From where I live in London there are not many venues locally to fish. Our small local river is only just about fishable, and although better than nothing, it is limited. The next best thing is a small commercial about half an hour's drive away. But this is lacking in the necessary facilities and has some rules that don't suit me.

All this means that if I am going to another commercial, I need to leave early just to clear the traffic, as we live just inside the South Circular road. I am the first to admit that I am not keen of fishing in the rain or traipsing through the mud.

After a spell of beautifully dry weather, perfect for me, where work had prevented me from going fishing, I had made up my mind to go today. Last night it started to rain it was pouring down. Okay, perhaps it will clear, was my thoughts. I decided to wait a while and see how the night developed before making a decision. By now it was past midnight, and if I was going to go, I needed to get some sleep. I can make do with four hours if needed. I had virtually decided that all this was getting too much and thought I would see what the weather was like in the morning.

If that were it, I would probably be out fishing right now instead of writing this, but at about 03.30 I was woken by all the windows in the front of the house resonating in tune with what sounded like a slow running diesel engine.

The gasboard are digging up the road and have narrowed the entrance to the road opposite meaning it's hard to emerge into our road. Stuck across the street wedge between the barriers, a telegraph pole and a parked car is a long rigid refrigerated lorry, slowly shunting back and forth attempting to get around the corner.

As I was wondering if I can help in any way, the driver had apparently given up and proceded to demolish the barriers and cones to make the turn. To my amazement, he stopped (in the pouring rain) and re-erected the entire barrier system.

That was it. I had managed to get a couple of hours sleep, and now I was wide awake with no chance of getting back to sleep. With less than an hour to go until I would have to get up anyway, yet again I abandoned all thought of getting out early to go fishing.

I give up

Well, for now anyway

What stops you from going fishing? Maybe I should just get on with it and go come rain or shine; I don't mind fishing in the rain, it is the setting up and putting away in bad weather that I hate. Being a 100% townie, I also have an aversion to mud!

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Default Re: The things that stop you (me!) fishing

Strong wind tends to put me off. If it's chucking it down, as I'm due to depart, I tend to think twice. Once I'm set up and fishing, rain doesn't bother me. The thing most likely to stop me going is an overly high river level.

Blog Entries

I will fish in any weather conditions excluding a really high wind . . . . .

Bing single, free and over 21 there is little that actually stops me going fishing; if and when I want to . . . .

I live opposite to the Hampshire Avon and have many decent swims reasonably close to my home, so I'll often go in the knowledge that it is but a short drive home if the conditions are really against me

When I lived in surrey there as always a lot of the Royal Parks that you van fish for want of sending off for a licence.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Work usually stops me although I'd agree with all the negatives about the wind, not fun fishing in a gale and there are times when the fishing is amazing but you ask yourself am I enjoying this as you get battered.

After a murky start its turned out to be a very warm and sunny day down Canterbury way,spent a very pleasant few hours on the river trying my hand at lure fishing for the first time.

Not sure where you look for weather forecasts Ralph but today they got it spot on

The alternative is to take up stamp collecting, an all weather pastime.

The only things likely to stop me would be a coma or The Grim Reaper. Pete.
    Casternets

The thing that stops me going more apart from the weather is me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    After a murky start its turned out to be a very warm and sunny day down Canterbury way,spent a very pleasant few hours on the river trying my hand at lure fishing for the first time.

Not sure where you look for weather forecasts Ralph but today they got it spot on

The alternative is to take up stamp collecting, an all weather pastime.
    Yes, the weather was good here too. It was not because it was raining hard here last night I was keeping an eye on it until late. If it had not been for the lorry waking me up in the middle of the night, I would not be typing this. I just needed more sleep and missed the 'hole' in the traffic. If I leave here after 06:00 in the morning, it can take hours to get anywhere, and I miss that early morning fish - makes the day not worth the effort for me. I will do a lot more fishing when we eventually move. There is nowhere close enough to here, to make a short session practical, except for our local river, but apart from the fact that it has hardly any fish in it, I am not even sure I should be fishing that anyway.

I am now stuffed for tomorrow as my mate needs a hand tomorrow instead of the pre-arranged Monday.

Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    The thing that stops me going more apart from the weather is me.
    That's the crux of it really. If you want to do something badly enough..............

Quote Originally Posted by fishplate42 View Post
    From where I live in London there are not many venues locally to fish. Our small local river is only just about fishable, and although better than nothing, it is limited. The next best thing is a small commercial about half an hour's drive away. But this is lacking in the necessary facilities and has some rules that don't suit me.

All this means that if I am going to another commercial, I need to leave early just to clear the traffic, as we live just inside the South Circular road. I am the first to admit that I am not keen of fishing in the rain or traipsing through the mud.

After a spell of beautifully dry weather, perfect for me, where work had prevented me from going fishing, I had made up my mind to go today. Last night it started to rain it was pouring down. Okay, perhaps it will clear, was my thoughts. I decided to wait a while and see how the night developed before making a decision. By now it was past midnight, and if I was going to go, I needed to get some sleep. I can make do with four hours if needed. I had virtually decided that all this was getting too much and thought I would see what the weather was like in the morning.

If that were it, I would probably be out fishing right now instead of writing this, but at about 03.30 I was woken by all the windows in the front of the house resonating in tune with what sounded like a slow running diesel engine.

The gasboard are digging up the road and have narrowed the entrance to the road opposite meaning it's hard to emerge into our road. Stuck across the street wedge between the barriers, a telegraph pole and a parked car is a long rigid refrigerated lorry, slowly shunting back and forth attempting to get around the corner.

As I was wondering if I can help in any way, the driver had apparently given up and proceded to demolish the barriers and cones to make the turn. To my amazement, he stopped (in the pouring rain) and re-erected the entire barrier system.

That was it. I had managed to get a couple of hours sleep, and now I was wide awake with no chance of getting back to sleep. With less than an hour to go until I would have to get up anyway, yet again I abandoned all thought of getting out early to go fishing.

I give up

Well, for now anyway

What stops you from going fishing? Maybe I should just get on with it and go come rain or shine; I don't mind fishing in the rain, it is the setting up and putting away in bad weather that I hate. Being a 100% townie, I also have an aversion to mud!

Ralph.
    Ok, you're a townie that hates mud (not the best hate to have for an angler). So fish to your tastes, a nice long lie in, leave after the rush about 10am and head for the docklands, must be less than an hour that time of day. Can only think there'ssome drop shot heaven around there amongst the suits!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast