Braid breaking strain

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Slight confusion here, 5kg b/s equates to 11lbs in my book, so what does the 6lb line class refer to?

CBRhuWp.jpg

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Having a guess

Breaking strain in Europe is based on linear strength without a knot where as breaking strain for the American market is calculated with a knot. As a result the same product in the same diameter is sold with a lower breaking strain in the US than Europe.

I would guess that 5kg is the European breaking strain where as the IGFA use American breaking strain.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since a bit of reading my theory is, the 6lb is a reference to what Sufix think a mono bs would be for the same diameter.

Philip

Reaction score
As S63 said I belive this is Sufix's (note - Sufix's) opinion on what an equivalent diameter mono would break at.

Interestingly just to make it even more confusing I see they also put a PE rating on the spool...someone will correct me but this I belive links back to a very old numbering system that was originally used for rating lines made from silk.

Well done Sufix. I dont think you could make the question of "how strong is this spool of line I am buying" more confusing if you tried !!!!! :D