Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Braid breaking strain

Slight confusion here, 5kg b/s equates to 11lbs in my book, so what does the 6lb line class refer to?

Last edited by s63; 30-09-2017 at 19:23.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Braid breaking strain

Not a clue but is it to do with the IGFA line class records?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

3. Default Re: Braid breaking strain

Having a guess

Breaking strain in Europe is based on linear strength without a knot where as breaking strain for the American market is calculated with a knot. As a result the same product in the same diameter is sold with a lower breaking strain in the US than Europe.

I would guess that 5kg is the European breaking strain where as the IGFA use American breaking strain.

Since a bit of reading my theory is, the 6lb is a reference to what Sufix think a mono bs would be for the same diameter.

As S63 said I belive this is Sufix's (note - Sufix's) opinion on what an equivalent diameter mono would break at.

Interestingly just to make it even more confusing I see they also put a PE rating on the spool...someone will correct me but this I belive links back to a very old numbering system that was originally used for rating lines made from silk.

Well done Sufix. I dont think you could make the question of "how strong is this spool of line I am buying" more confusing if you tried !!!!!