Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE fishing?

Default FREE fishing?

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows of anybfree areas to fish around the Nottinghamshire area, or East Midlands? I know Victoria Embankment on the Trent is free, but is there anywhere else? Something off the beaten track?

Cheers

Blog Entries

Default Re: FREE fishing?

Time to get the OS maps and your bike out its amazing what can be hiding behind hedgerows that you have driven past countless times.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

My problem is, what is free and what isn't... I see all these videos on YouTube of people going to random places. But how do you know that you don't require a ticket?

Blog Entries

Like I said OS map and finding out who owns what, the only way to do that if you want somewhere out of the way is to put the groundwork in, looking at maps, finding who's land its on, is anyone already fishing it and then talking to the landowner trying to get permission to fish that's if there are fish in whatever you are asking about anyone that has gone through all this isn't going to tell anyone else about it, its all down to doing the research.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

The day ticket canal near me is always free because no one ever comes along to collect the money. Been fishing it for free for years and never seen anyone buy a ticket. Your local canals might be the same.

The search for free waters... I had often read about how an angler politely approached a landowner and was granted exclusive access to an unfished gem. So when I lived in East Lancs, and regularly passed a gorgeous little lake, over the county border near Skipton, I decided to try. I'd never seen a soul by or near the water, by the way. I smartened myself up, put on a jacket and tie, walked up to the farmhouse door, knocked and explained my mission to the bloke who came out, stressing my harmless intentions, angling credentials, and hope to be allowed to visit infrequently. “Nah” he said, already closing the door, “We keep it for us own use.”

Good luck!

So as not to be entirely negative, I'll PM you where you can catch a free Soar barbel, if you're prepared to bring gardening tools.

[QUOTE=nottskev;1437510]The search for free waters... I had often read about how an angler politely approached a landowner and was granted exclusive access to an unfished gem. So when I lived in East Lancs, and regularly passed a gorgeous little lake, over the county border near Skipton, I decided to try. I'd never seen a soul by or near the water, by the way. I smartened myself up, put on a jacket and tie, walked up to the farmhouse door, knocked and explained my mission to the bloke who came out, stressing my harmless intentions, angling credentials, and hope to be allowed to visit infrequently. “Nah” he said, already closing the door, “We keep it for us own use.”

Happened that once me and my mate fished a small free stretch of river and decided to try our luck over through the gate of the next field. A farmer came over and told us it was his land and we were not allowed. So we apologized, explained that we were responsible anglers etc and had a bit of a chat with him. He said tell you what, I have never known whats in there so you can fish it, just you two mind as long as you let me know what you catch. About two miles of stream/river to our selves.
    Same happened on another stretch of farm land, the farmer came up one day and was a bit angry but it was mainly because kids had left litter a few times before that so he didn't want anglers on his land. I was very apologetic and explained I was a responsible angler who would never do that ect etc and had a nice chat with him. he relented and gave me permission. I fished that for about 20 years now and I nice few roach among other things.
    I suppose its luck of the draw.
    I fished a another stretch of farm land for years, never met the farmer in person although he passes in his buggy now and then but he never says anything. I only learned this was free fishing through searching and asking. Actually it was a local angler who put me onto it so they do tell sometimes, no one ever fishes it hardly, often its just me on about 1/4 mile of fishing and its fair fishing.
    The thing is no one puts up a sign saying "free fishing", I have never seen one in all my life. So you have to ask, search, push your luck a bit sometimes.
    So that's my advice to nottskev, don't give up, keep asking, searching and looking and you will meet lots of dead ends but you only have to get lucky once or twice and you could be set up for years; worth the effort.
    Last edited by markg; 01-10-2017 at 11:21.

Have tried the approach the landowner many times over the years and never been successful with this approach. In the past I have had many days free fishing on other waters where I didn’t know who the owner was and also been turned off a few.

[quote=markg;1437525]
    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    So that's my advice to nottskev, don't give up, keep asking, searching and looking and you will meet lots of dead ends but you only have to get lucky once or twice and you could be set up for years; worth the effort.
    Thanks Mark. But what makes you assume I gave up? Just a little story to show that landowners have not always read the script for that "A polite approach to the owner often pays dividends..." encounter. Probably funnier if you could see the half-open door and hear those blunt Yorkshire tones.

You win some, you lose some, of course. And I did send the OP chapter and verse on some free barbel swims, which no-one told me about...

Glad to hear they've a more open approach round your way!

[quote=nottskev;1437531]
    Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post

Thanks Mark. But what makes you assume I gave up? Just a little story to show that landowners have not always read the script for that "A polite approach to the owner often pays dividends..." encounter. Probably funnier if you could see the half-open door and hear those blunt Yorkshire tones.

You win some, you lose some, of course. And I did send the OP chapter and verse on some free barbel swims, which no-one told me about...

Glad to hear they've a more open approach round your way!
    I can understand that Nottskev, a bit of luck of the draw, I have probably just been lucky, right place, right time and all that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast