Mushroom picking banned

davebhoy

Reaction score
I just came back from Zakynthos on Sunday :) Same situation as in Keffalonia.

I was on holiday in Greece this summer as well and although I don’t think the mainland where I was is nearly as relaxed as the islands I did enjoy the more relaxed attitudes people had to rules and regulations, and authority

The downside of course was is that people are relaxed about following the rules on paying taxes so the economy is a basket case that’s being bailed out by the EU. The young people I talked to were in general not happy and resented the foreign tourists with money. That was my experience anyway. Shame as it’s a lovely place with nice people

nottskev

Reaction score
I was on holiday in Greece this summer as well and although I don’t think the mainland where I was is nearly as relaxed as the islands I did enjoy the more relaxed attitudes people had to rules and regulations, and authority

The downside of course was is that people are relaxed about following the rules on paying taxes so the economy is a basket case that’s being bailed out by the EU. The young people I talked to were in general not happy and resented the foreign tourists with money. That was my experience anyway. Shame as it’s a lovely place with nice people

I've noticed that when visiting Greece, too.

Contrasting the lack of "rules" in a relatively undeveloped place to those in the SE of the UK is, I think, rather a case of apples and oranges.

We had a great holiday a while back on Kefalonia, at Skala, the most south-east tip of the island. And although life can look pleasantly anarchic on the surface to us, they are certainly not laissez-faire, do-as-you please when it comes, for example, to protecting the local turtle nesting beaches.

It's made quite clear what you can and can't do in the breeding season, and rightly so.

edsurf

Reaction score
Mushroom picking ban in New Forest: Wild mushroom picking in New Forest, by London Where.

Soon enough we will be banned picking our noses...

Don't get me wrong I understand that some people are upset because someone is "abusing" forests, keeping fish and what not, but it just feels like soon enough we will be afraid to even go to forest only not to brake one of the millions of rules there are.

It really bugs me that you pretty much cannot have proper outdoor/wilderness experience in the UK anymore. I want to go out into forest with my son, pick some mushrooms, catch some fish, camp, cook our catches in campsite etc. I cannot think of one country that restricts "free living" more than the UK

New Forest Mushrooms are magic, or so I am told.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I've noticed that when visiting Greece, too.

Contrasting the lack of "rules" in a relatively undeveloped place to those in the SE of the UK is, I think, rather a case of apples and oranges.

We had a great holiday a while back on Kefalonia, at Skala, the most south-east tip of the island. And although life can look pleasantly anarchic on the surface to us, they are certainly not laissez-faire, do-as-you please when it comes, for example, to protecting the local turtle nesting beaches.

It's made quite clear what you can and can't do in the breeding season, and rightly so.

No, you're right, I didn't get the impression they didn't follow the rules or think about what had to be done when it came to looking after their beautiful country (aside from seeming to be happy to poo pretty much anywhere)

And my impression is from being there for two weeks, not time enough to make a real judgement.

B

binka

New Forest Mushrooms are magic, or so I am told.

I hope they don't ban the magic ones around here, I'm not sure what I would do for a quick fix if they did.

I suppose I could always go back to licking frogs...

:D

flightliner

Reaction score
I hope they don't ban the magic ones around here, I'm not sure what I would do for a quick fix if they did.

I suppose I could always go back to licking frogs...

:D[/QUOTE
No need Steve, loads growing on the Peak District side of Sheffield, you can usually see where at weekends, loads of teenagers peering at the ground while at shuffling forward at a slow pace !

Philip

Reaction score
I thought this may be of interest (there are many more)
New Forest Wild and Exotic Mushrooms - Welcome / Forays

LOL ! ...and I was taking the preverbial pee in my earlier post & well what do you know...its actually reality. Mushroom forays ..

Costs : full day (including , morning seminar , lunch and an afternoon foray) £59 each , half day (afternoon foray only) £30

I have to ask...whens the maure scaping seminar scheduled ?