Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mushroom picking banned

Mushroom picking ban in New Forest: http://londonwhere.com/walking/mushr...-in-new-forest

Soon enough we will be banned picking our noses...

Don't get me wrong I understand that some people are upset because someone is "abusing" forests, keeping fish and what not, but it just feels like soon enough we will be afraid to even go to forest only not to brake one of the millions of rules there are.

It really bugs me that you pretty much cannot have proper outdoor/wilderness experience in the UK anymore. I want to go out into forest with my son, pick some mushrooms, catch some fish, camp, cook our catches in campsite etc. I cannot think of one country that restricts "free living" more than the UK

Default Re: Mushroom picking banned

Living on the edge of the forest I can honestly say I have never seen any one picking mushrooms from the forest. Only myself and for a totally different purpose.

I agree, and in terms of my own fishing, I avoid over-proscriptive commercials in favour of places that trust anglers' discretion and common sense.

I've read that the mushroom ban arises from commercial pickers flouting the rules by pretending to forage for a small personal amount. If that's true, faced with this, and other, examples of the "entrepreneurial spirit", beloved of some, it's hard to see what the authorities can do to prevent over-exploitation. I'm happy, like you, to enjoy the outdoors, but some people are only out to make money from it.

Quote Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
    Living on the edge of the forest I can honestly say I have never seen any one picking mushrooms from the forest. Only myself and for a totally different purpose.
    Back home (Czech Republic) mushroom picking is very popular. Especially in the area where I live there are many forest and every autumn you see floods of grandmas, families, well pretty much everyone going to the forests and picking. Everyone is happy, no one is complaining.

So my wife (not Czech) came to like it so much during her stay there that she was super excited to go mushrooming over here, and now she came with this... It seems that every time we try and enjoy something here, yet another rule come in place that means we have to watch our back not to pi$$ someone off - because of course we we are caught doing something people dont agree with, as foreigners, everyone makes big deal out of it...

Sorry just a rant because we were literally planning weekend trip just to that place for that reason...

We have had a similar ban locally. From a few people picking the odd mushroom or 2 it became a sort of industrial scale collection, and like the New Forest, it was on heath-land, which is pretty easily damaged with people tramping all over the heather etc. The area is an SSSI and due to the impact of the pickers, it was banned. Shame really, but understandable.

I have seen loads of wild mushrooms near some of my venues but have never picked any as I could not be 100% certain they were edible ! I even have a little book too! Blewits and Agarics look the same to me!

Quote Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
    .....I have never seen any one picking mushrooms from the forest. Only myself and for a totally different purpose.
    Mushrooms on toast for the Mother in law I take it.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    ...it's hard to see what the authorities can do to prevent over-exploitation.
    I'm with you on the sentiment but not on the particular instance...

Mushrooms are not the plant but simply the fruiting body of the mycelium fungus underlying it and distributed through the soil or other medium. Picking mushrooms does nothing to damage the parent, in the same way that picking apples does not damage the tree. It is rather difficult to see how you can "over-exploit" the free bounty of nature in this particular instance ?.

Must confess, I understood that the ban was because of the environmental impact of the pickers hoofing about all over the shop, as Hugh suggests above.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I wonder if we were allowed a bit more freedom in the UK whether the issues/problems would go away ? I know you can hardly compare the UK to a Greek island but on Keffalonia you could park wherever you like for free, fish anywhere you like [except in Argostoli harbour where there are turtles] and pretty well do whatever you like as long as it didn't upset anybody else. Judging by the look of some of the motorcycles/cars on the road its clear the Greeks have no concept of anything like an MOT....or if they do nobody enforces it.

Goodness knows what visitors to the UK think of our myriad rules and restrictions. I know there are always those who will exploit a bit of freedom but all these rules/restrictions are beginning to get terribly tedious. On one of my club waters bivvies, bedchairs and the cooking of food on the bank is banned. There are reasons why which I can understand to a degree but it does seem rather petty.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 02-10-2017 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    I'm with you on the sentiment but not on the particular instance...

Mushrooms are not the plant but simply the fruiting body of the mycelium fungus underlying it and distributed through the soil or other medium. Picking mushrooms does nothing to damage the parent, in the same way that picking apples does not damage the tree. It is rather difficult to see how you can "over-exploit" the free bounty of nature in this particular instance ?.

Must confess, I understood that the ban was because of the environmental impact of the pickers hoofing about all over the shop, as Hugh suggests above.
    Fair point. I did google the current "picking " controversies, before posting, including the much-ref'd Swiss study which concluded that harvesting makes no difference. Nonetheless, there are concerns, amongst them that trampling the ground etc may be damaging, and codes of practice have been put out by conscientious pickers, sensible or not I'm not qualified to say. I should have put my point more carefully; "exploitation" referred to picking to sell rather than eat. I'd feel similar if I found all the local blackberries were being stripped and sold to restaurants. A case of me feeling liberal towards personal use and more restrictive towards business use. I was in Lithuania last summer, and the family mushrooming trips to the forest were a treat. But they have lots of forest and relatively few people......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast