Oh No! Fosters sold

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope not John as Whitstable is lovely including the oysters. We had thought of moving there to be nearer our daughters but I doubt that will happen!:(

Would be marvellous if you did Mike, we could go whip fishing together.:)

bracket

Reaction score
I had a bad turn when I read the title of this post, until I realised it wasn't about the Brewers. Pete.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My thoughts turned to Doctor Foster.:eek:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
as we here in the land of eternal wind n rain dont have the ADs or FRs or such like i cant make comment , but in another tread i started/posted here i did visit FOB last november and my couple of hrs there was fantastic!!! great staff, nothing a problem, no question unanswered and all with a smile :), i do hope the staff i delt with/spoke to will be kept on, im visiting brum again in 5weeks and will take a visit to FOB/AD to see the changes, if any!!! as to my opinion on the loss of an independent local shop, as said in other posts, its the way of the world, sad as it my be, its happening everywhere, and as much as we the plebs dont like it , we aint going to stop the relentless march of big business, be it fishing tackle, pharma, beer, coffee etc etc,

Fosters_Fishing

Reaction score
It has been very difficult to find the correct words to use for this press release, as we have been very fortunate to have some fantastic staff working for the company over the past 39 years, during which time we all have forged some great friendships, and as such helped to create the fantastic family feel we have here at Fosters.
We would really like to thank everyone who has helped to make the business a success, customers, suppliers and staff alike, and are confident that this great business will go from strength to strength now under its new owners. Fosters was established in 1978 by Richard Foster, and has evolved over the years to become one of the major fishing retail stores in the country. Richard has decided to continue to work within the business on a part time basis, his passion is still to help support and drive the business forwards, whilst Gill and Mark have both decided that, after many years of hard work to keep the business forging forwards, they will look to retire after a short handover period.
We are delighted that in Angling Direct Plc we have found a buyer who really appreciates the staff, and business, and understands how to operate it properly going forwards. It was very important that we found the correct buyers, and in Angling Direct we see the best possible future for both the business, and more importantly the staff. Having reviewed other possible options, Angling Direct represented by far the safest and most secure for all concerned.
We would like to wish the Angling Direct Fosters, the very best for the future, and we look forward to popping in now and then to keep in touch with everyone, and we are sure that the family culture which we have within the business will continue under the new owners.
Kind Regards,
Gill, Mark & Richard Foster

fishplate42

Reaction score
Gill, Mark & Richard Foster,

Thank you for taking the time to post here. I wish you all the very best in the future. Let's hope your optimism for the future of the business is correct.

Ralph.

terry m

Reaction score
I am sad to hear this. I regularly spend time in or around Birmingham and usually drop in. I have always been impressed by the stock levels and the knowledge of the staff.

But I guess this is business, as others have said big boys swallow less big boys! Note it is Angling Direct PLC. PLC is important, it means that dividends for the shareholders will be high priority which is not always the case with smaller family run businesses who have the luxury of taking a medium or long term view.

And, in fairness if I were a shareholder in AD I would be looking for reasonable returns here.

Good to see the Fosters team posting here. I hope their positivity is well founded.

8ndy85

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread now but just came across it. I have started fishing again after a 4-5 year break and popped down to fosters for a few things. I had heard it had been sold but was told it would be the same old fosters with the same friendly knowledgeable staff. Well after popping in on Wednesday I can honestly say angling direct have killed it. The staff are rude (one was in his phone swearing at someone) the guy operating the till was moaning because a guy was returning something and he clearly couldn’t be bothered. I can honestly say I won’t be going there again! Such a shame as it used to be brilliant.

Reaction score
Very sad to hear that mate,the people who used to work there would be gutted,I had a Harrison Torrix made there not long before it was bought out and though I can't remember the rod builders name,he was extraordinarily helpful and obviously very knowledgeable,something that fills you with confidence when buying something like that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For many anglers Fosters was the ultimate tackle shop that combined the positives of a huge stock with a personal service that made you feel like you were the only customer in the store.

The lads in the store helped me out on several ocassions with repairs and locating poles and whips that were not generally available elsewhere.

From reading some of the comments above it seems that the personal touch, for which they were so well known, has all but disappeared . . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
I ordered a rod holdall from Fosters which proved to be out of stock. When they asked if I'd prefer a refund or another item, I half-seriously asked for a more expensive alternative - which they sent me! I appreciate that's not a viable habit, but as a one-off, it made me think what a great shop.

An AD opened near here. I dropped in hoping to have a look at some interesting float rods and see what's available these days. I checked out the rod racks, but I had to ask where the float rods were. A young assistant, who seemed baffled what I was after, pointed to the few pellet waggler rods lurking in the big commercial feeder rod section.

By contrast, the shop had a huge stock of convenience items: ready-made rigs, hooklengths and pole rigs etc all over-packaged on their plasticated cards. Getting ready for a future where anglers can't tie a knot or make up a rig?

Specihunter

Reaction score
They bought Chapman's from Glasgow so it wont be long before they buy the whole lot. And they are looking at opening even more shops. I wonder who is next on their hit list to buy out?

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's been no hint of Angling Direct in my neck of the woods. My nearest is about a good motorway hour away.

Specihunter

Reaction score
There's been no hint of Angling Direct in my neck of the woods. My nearest is about a good motorway hour away.
They are looking at another 10 new stores at least. Wont be in Cumbria not enough trade to make it worthwhile.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I moved away from Preston shortly after Ted Carters was bought, I never bought anything from the new Angling direct but I did go in on what felt like pretty much the last day of Ted Carters to pick up the last Ted Carter Summer Barbel rod that ever left the door and even then Angling Direct staff were in tearing out the individual feel of the shop and making it into was was appearing to be a much more generic shop.

Fast forward to yesterday and I’m now back in Staffordshire and finding myself in need of some terminal tackle quickly, I popped into angling direct near Hanley and found it very hard to get any help. Of the 6 staff visible, 4 were behind the counter though only one was serving, three were chatting and appeared to be showing each other things on their phones. The remaining two staff were apparently doing everything in their power to stay away from customers on the shop floor and were actively avoiding eye contact.

When I finally got a staff member to talk to me it seemed like a chore to talk to me about pellets and he couldn’t get away quickly enough. I then had to queue for far too long for the one young lad serving to get through the customers, when I did get to him he at least tried to make some attempt at very brief small talk.

I have to say that my experience of Tackle Direct is pretty negative and I will be supporting smaller organisations. I am very confident that Tackle Direct is never in a month of Sunday’s going to preserve the integrity of any organisation they steamroller and any owner who genuinely thinks that they will is naieve or in denial to say the least.

Reaction score
I'm surprised they don't buy out a tackle shop in the Christchurch/Ringwood area,big trade areas,lots of anglers per day,or so it seems... I wouldn't wish it on the area,I rarely go in a tackle shop when I'm down there,carrying preferred spares with me.