Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oh No! Fosters sold

Very sad to hear that mate,the people who used to work there would be gutted,I had a Harrison Torrix made there not long before it was bought out and though I can't remember the rod builders name,he was extraordinarily helpful and obviously very knowledgeable,something that fills you with confidence when buying something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I can't remember the rod builders name
    Bob "The Rod" Davies.

Blog Entries

For many anglers Fosters was the ultimate tackle shop that combined the positives of a huge stock with a personal service that made you feel like you were the only customer in the store.

The lads in the store helped me out on several ocassions with repairs and locating poles and whips that were not generally available elsewhere.

From reading some of the comments above it seems that the personal touch, for which they were so well known, has all but disappeared . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I ordered a rod holdall from Fosters which proved to be out of stock. When they asked if I'd prefer a refund or another item, I half-seriously asked for a more expensive alternative - which they sent me! I appreciate that's not a viable habit, but as a one-off, it made me think what a great shop.

An AD opened near here. I dropped in hoping to have a look at some interesting float rods and see what's available these days. I checked out the rod racks, but I had to ask where the float rods were. A young assistant, who seemed baffled what I was after, pointed to the few pellet waggler rods lurking in the big commercial feeder rod section.

By contrast, the shop had a huge stock of convenience items: ready-made rigs, hooklengths and pole rigs etc all over-packaged on their plasticated cards. Getting ready for a future where anglers can't tie a knot or make up a rig?

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Getting ready for a future where anglers can't tie a knot or make up a rig?
    It's here already!

Blog Entries

They bought Chapman's from Glasgow so it wont be long before they buy the whole lot. And they are looking at opening even more shops. I wonder who is next on their hit list to buy out?

There's been no hint of Angling Direct in my neck of the woods. My nearest is about a good motorway hour away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    There's been no hint of Angling Direct in my neck of the woods. My nearest is about a good motorway hour away.
    They are looking at another 10 new stores at least. Wont be in Cumbria not enough trade to make it worthwhile.

9. Default Re: Oh No! Fosters sold

I moved away from Preston shortly after Ted Carters was bought, I never bought anything from the new Angling direct but I did go in on what felt like pretty much the last day of Ted Carters to pick up the last Ted Carter Summer Barbel rod that ever left the door and even then Angling Direct staff were in tearing out the individual feel of the shop and making it into was was appearing to be a much more generic shop.

Fast forward to yesterday and I’m now back in Staffordshire and finding myself in need of some terminal tackle quickly, I popped into angling direct near Hanley and found it very hard to get any help. Of the 6 staff visible, 4 were behind the counter though only one was serving, three were chatting and appeared to be showing each other things on their phones. The remaining two staff were apparently doing everything in their power to stay away from customers on the shop floor and were actively avoiding eye contact.

When I finally got a staff member to talk to me it seemed like a chore to talk to me about pellets and he couldn’t get away quickly enough. I then had to queue for far too long for the one young lad serving to get through the customers, when I did get to him he at least tried to make some attempt at very brief small talk.

I have to say that my experience of Tackle Direct is pretty negative and I will be supporting smaller organisations. I am very confident that Tackle Direct is never in a month of Sunday’s going to preserve the integrity of any organisation they steamroller and any owner who genuinely thinks that they will is naieve or in denial to say the least.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised they don't buy out a tackle shop in the Christchurch/Ringwood area,big trade areas,lots of anglers per day,or so it seems... I wouldn't wish it on the area,I rarely go in a tackle shop when I'm down there,carrying preferred spares with me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234