Just for fun

Reaction score
Just for fun
What species have you never caught and would like to catch or have not caught for a long time and would like to again?
Mine would be a minnow sounds stupid really but out of all the species I have caught over the years I've never caught one and would be chuffed if I got one and ticked it off the list next would be a grayling.

rich66

Reaction score
A Ruffe I've only ever caught one, then I've still a few others to tick off barbel, grayling, trout, salmon, but a Ruffe would make me a happy chap

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I once caught a bullhead from the dane many years ago and my
son caught a stone loach from commercial in Yorkshire,
a species I don't want to catch again is motherless minnows,
The Macclesfield canal around Congleton is full of them, once in your swim
you cant get rid of them,i fed a pint of pinkies away from where I was fishing to feed them off, didn't work, it is no good trying to make a weight with them in a match either, they are like a 100 to the lb so to speak,
Christian, if you want minnows go on any of the free stretches of the Ribble around the A59 area, Walton-le Dale for example

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mine would be a minnow sounds stupid really but out of all the species I have caught over the years I've never caught one and would be chuffed if I got one and ticked it off the list next would be a grayling.

I'd have thought that your closest decent sized river would be the Ribble. If you go to the mid to upper reaches of that river, fish a single maggot on an 18 hook and you'll soon be wishing you'd never see a minnow again. If you manage to get through the minnows, you should be able to find a grayling or two as well.

Philip

Reaction score
Stone loach. I know I caught them in nets as a kid but I cant actually recall catching one on a line and hook.

bracket

Reaction score
In my time I have taken every common coarse fish going, plus a few game fish as well. One species that I used to catch prolifically in the Midlands, but not down here in Dorset would be the eel. A slack handful of them would make my day. Pete.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never caught a Barbel.....one day.

Haven't caught a gudgeon since childhood days.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Philip,this was a new commercial near Northallerton, hadn't been open long,
in fact the carp were still shoaled up around the 3 or 4 pegs where they were introduced into the water,along with the silvers that went in a few gudgeon and stone loach ended up going in at the same time,
it was caught using 6 sections of pole,zim 3 elastic (I think) 1.5lb main line
to 1lb hooklength,size 22 and single pinkie,
we were fishing on the other side from the "carp" pegs, the carp were only
around 1-2lb each, this was around 25 years ago,
the river dane where I caught the bullhead,also had lamprey in there,

rayner

Reaction score
Don't know about what I would like to catch more like what I wouldn't.
Carp
F1s
Ide
Three species I could easily do without.

tomino2112

Reaction score
I have caught only one Tench and to this day I think it was the prettiest fish I have ever caught. It might be hard to believe but they are my favorite fish (even though I caught only one...) and would love to catch more. Unfortunately didn't have much time this summer and always when I get ready for them I end up catching everything else but..

iain t

Reaction score
A Stickleback. Used to catch loads when i was a kid in small pools and streams but 45 years later they have all seemed to have disappeared.

john step

Reaction score
A burbot. I could claim a new British record. I could write a book called HOW I CAUGHT THE RECORD BURBOT. I could sell the story to the Press and be mysterious where I caught it - stinging nettles, wire fence and canoeists as a feint.:D

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Mine would be a minnow .....

Hi kid,
Surprised you've not had any minnows out of the Yarrow or Dougie. :eek:
Wigan&DAA's stretch of the Ribble - lower car-park pegs - might be worth a try for you & the young'un for minnows - just don't fish too deep near the bank or you'll end up being bootlaced! - "Dad - Help - It's a Snake!!:eek:" :D:D

edsurf

Reaction score
Just for fun
What species have you never caught and would like to catch or have not caught for a long time and would like to again?
I had about twenty of the bloody things yesterday, trotting for roach

Reaction score
Hi kid,
Surprised you've not had any minnows out of the Yarrow or Dougie. :eek:
Wigan&DAA's stretch of the Ribble - lower car-park pegs - might be worth a try for you & the young'un for minnows - just don't fish too deep near the bank or you'll end up being bootlaced! - "Dad - Help - It's a Snake!!:eek:" :D:D

Not actually fished the Douglas yet but never seen one in the yarrow I've only had perch trout dace chub and peanut has has roach and I've seen bullheads in the rocks but would love a minnow and gudgeon out of there