How and What do you record about your catches?

cockneybob

Reaction score
I like the idea does any one have or knows where to get a ready made data base that can be put into a computer to keep a record of the days fishing including adding photos

tomino2112

Reaction score
I like the idea does any one have or knows where to get a ready made data base that can be put into a computer to keep a record of the days fishing including adding photos

There are so many of those, are you not using one because you didnt find any or because the ones you found didnt satisfy your needs?

peterjg

Reaction score
I have kept fishing diaries/journals since the 70s. Yes, they are a pain to write up but when looking back over them they remind me of successes and of the many cock-ups along the way!

Reaction score
I just take a few pics and commit to memory I have stated writing a blog but that is only when I have a good trip etc will Deffiantly write it more next year when I start my fly fishing campaign on my river.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There are so many of those, are you not using one because you didnt find any or because the ones you found didnt satisfy your needs?

Why its maybe best to start your own if you cannot find one, then you can add whatever detail you want specifically to suit your needs. Excel is still good, you can add pictures to it. Text boxes to do more elaborate write ups. You can hide grid lines, add any pictures you want etc to make it more aesthetic. I didn't do that but could have done.
I don't know if its the best way but it is worth thinking about.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Taking pic's was the only form of record i've ever done but funny enough the computer was stolen so I lost the biggest part of 'em. I wasn't too concerned about the pictures of fish but there where other pictures of things lost like a kingfisher on my rods etc and loosing them did p!$$ me off :mad:.
Even now I just can't be bothered keeping records, if I had to do that then my angling would become a chore or job. A few pic's will do ok for me, if I loose 'em then I can always take some more. The main thing is the memory which if it's worthwhile remembering then it should stay embedded in the grey matter anyhow.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I am not one for recording everything in fine detail and analysing data about my fishing, but I do like documenting memories, usually photographically. Over the years I have taken thousands of photographs on all sorts of subjects, mainly for publication. Formerly this was all on film and for the past decade or so, digitally.

When I took up fishing, three years ago, I decided to document my journey into the world of angling on a blog. I write as a personal diary of what I have been up to and to record stuff I may want to refer back to, such as recipes. It is like an electronic diary, but it has the advantage that others can read it as well if they wish. I can also share it with others if there is something relevant to help reply to a question or if I am talking about something I have done, I can write an abridged version in a post and refer to the blog for anyone who wants to read more.

As far as backup is concerned, we have our own local server that backs everything up automatically as well as dedicated network drives that are used to back up and store working files on. Over and above that virtual servers and cloud services back up everything again. With the blog, that is all on top of Google's Blogger server storage.

Our 'over the top' facility is a consequence of working from home and relying on digital files and communication almost entirely these days. For anyone else, who does not need that amount of file handling, memory is so cheap these days that memory sticks and external solid state hard drives are the way to go.

Ralph.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
If you asked me what my PB was for any species, I'd be able to tell you from memory. In a few cases I've also got a photo (though mostly not!)

However, as others have mentioned.... I do remember sessions I've had in certain swims, many years later, in good detail. Funnily enough, not so much the bad sessions!

I was bought a fishing journal once for Christmas, it has an entry in it for the session I had on New Year's day and nothing else!

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I started out recording most sessions on an iPhone app, along with weather, Grid Ref, pressure, all the usual stuff. It also stored photos when I could be bothered to take them. Then the app stopped working when I upgraded my phones OS and all was lost.

I tried to be ****** off about it but couldn't muster the required levels of disgruntledness. I have no idea what any of my PBs are save for a few, but I'm hazy about exact weights even on those.

I've decided I don't care enough about any of it to be bothered anymore. As long as I've enjoyed the day then that'll do. And if I haven't enjoyed it I'll forget it soon enough.

iain t

Reaction score
I only note PB fish with a picture, where, basic weather details, time and date. Apart from that, i keep no more records of every catch.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think its a wasted opportunity for us anglers not to make some sort of record and record as much as we can, we spend a lot of time fishing, Its not a chore as long as you don't make it one. I spend about 15 mins per session on this including noting it down at home and I collect a fair bit of information. Its important, too easily dismissed as a waste of time and you can never go back, only in memory and you're only going to remember bits of it, the good bits, a lot of good information is lost for ever that could have been easily had.
I can detect population changes, weather patterns, temperature changes, compare patterns from months of each year or yearly, rivers and venues that are declining or not and a lot more. All at the press of a button and a few simple formulas on excel. And I can assure you it makes an interesting dimension to fishing and something to play with on a wet winters day if nothing else. You need a bit of patience to build up a record but you have the whole of your life! I regret I never did this from when I first started fishing, how much more fascinating it would have been.
I have not seen any Apps or other applications but to me excel is a natural for this kind of thing; you can tailor it to suit yourself anyway you want and its free; whats to lose.

We only live once and we are the natural first hand monitors of our waters and environment.
Use it well.

Last edited:

carpinbob

Reaction score
I use just a note book and record what fish caught , weight , what bait used , method used .
That's when I actually catch something.