Return to manufacturer’s settings…

B

binka

What’s your default angling setting?

I’m just pondering this because, with little time to plan or a will to go through the motions of working through all the available options, I’ve decided that I’m just going to sit behind a float at some point over the weekend and if it goes under a few times it will be a bonus and I will get my fix from it either way.

A coincidence that it’s what I started out doing or just the easy option?

I’m going for neither and opting for the in built setting that first drew me to fish but I appreciate it’s not the same for everyone so what is your default, target-less angling setting in times when you just want to get out and keep everything simple?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't do just one thing to the exclusion of all others. I've tried just that but I get bored and apathetic when I do. I like mixing things up to keep things interesting. However, my default is set by the type of fishing that's freely, and cheaply, available very locally. Essentially, that means float fishing for grayling, trout and dace on my local rivers and anything that comes along on small non-commie stillwaters.

mikench

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Steve and at the moment any fishing is fine by me. if I can get out tomorrow the float beckons with a new rod to me and the Abu .:)

theartist

Reaction score
Ha ha I like default settings sums up my fishing perfectly, try catching them on float and if that don't work try harder, maybe freeline now and then just for the sheer fun of it but it's still a moving bait principle. Whatever comes along is the target quarry and if nothing comes along then it's time to move swim.

Dunno about you guys but whenever I try something new I'm rubbish at it, old dog and new tricks and all that.

bracket

Reaction score
When I want a stress free, no hassle, simple and easy session I do what I can do blindfold. Which means I get out the fourteen foot rod a stick float and bait apron, get down to the river (preferably the Trent) and catch me some roach. The size is immaterial, quantity paramount. Pete.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
The default certainly isn't purposely sat behind rods looking glum carping in hope, nor is it fishing for snotties!
Obviously season/venue dictates of course. Knowing the target needn't necessarily be species specific but more; anything that swims under the umbrella of 'silvers' using sticks and wagglers and my 45 year old Diawa Harrier closed faced 125M... no back wind!
Happy days :)

rich66

Reaction score
1/2 a pint of reds, size 18 hook and an inset waggler & I'll take anything that comes along. It's such a joy to catch silvers I sit there chuckling to myself
That's my default fishing, in fact I'm almost anxious when I've not got any maggots.
I'm having a sweetcorn, pellets and meat day tomorrow hopefully I'll get something.

terry m

Reaction score
Watching a float as a 12 year old is what drew me to fishing originally.

Not sure I have a default setting as I may choose to roam with lures, float fish in the margins, trot the Avon or sit behind a battery of rods. It's all fishing, I love it, and I love the way I can unwind and chill out.

But, what evokes those same feelings of yesteryear is easy. Find a winter slack on the Avon or Stour and fish a deadbait lift method under an unweighted deadbait pencil float. Wait for that float to vibrate a little, lift and then either chug across the surface or slide into the depths, and yes, I am that 12 year old kid once more.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Fishing the river near my home within walking distance..
Stick float ,pint of casters, Dace and Grayling and a pint on the way home :thumbs:
Perfect day.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I do like investigating different styles of fishing and when I first realised there were so many ways to fish I got a bit bogged down with a full van load of gear and being spoilt for choice. In fact, I spent a whole day switching from one technique to another without catching any significant amount of fish. It was then I realised I had a default and that default was one float rod and a small selection of hook bait that included maggots.

I tried out my 'default setting' and had the best day I had had since I started fishing. I suddenly realised fishing was about fishing, not the gear. You can read more about that day HERE if you are interested.

Since then, I have tried to limit the amount of gear I take with me. My fishing has been so much more productive and, more importantly, more enjoyable ever since.

Ralph.

flightliner

Reaction score
I can be sat behind a pair of rods hoping for big pike, zander , perch, tench, bream, roach barbel whatever depending on the seasons. Sometimes, but markedly less with float gear but between it all there are days when there's a lull in activity or in time available , even weather conditions that dictate a change.
It's at times such as these that that I simply go back to the Trent for a day with the stick or waggler for the now very neglected roach that are back in abundance or some local stillwater doing pretty much the same thing.

rayner

Reaction score
Never thought of a default setting, it still seems a bit strange even thinking of one.
If I have got one it's returning to how I fished when I first started. IE light lines small hooks and silver fish.
As I've said before I only ever fish commercials and the light line approach works very well, fish normally see far bigger hooks and tug rope lines on commercials so a more considered approach gets plenty of bites.
Far more than I got as a lad, I guess the heavy stocking with a bit of experience account for that.
It's a shame that the dirty Ide stick their noses in.

dicky123

Reaction score
Bit like Sam, I'm a bit of an all rounder. Sadly the days of bagging a nice net of roach, perch, bream are long gone on many places I fish now.

My greatest love is fishing a waggler for roach, still water, or rivers. That would be my default.

john step

Reaction score
Not a long drive to start with. Then a long rod with a pole float over deepish water where anything can happen along to my bait.

Philip

Reaction score
My default setting is without a doubt a single rod, loaf of bread and minimum tackle and go for a rove on a river.

Every new swim you come to bring a new sense of anticipation and hope.

Reaction score
It used to be going on a stretch of the Ouse above Bedford (several),find a tree and fish for chub on the waggler with maggot,today due to population levels of larger fish being low,it's not so enjoyable,also the weed in the river means there is hardly a trottable swim until at least November, this time of year is slightly depressing angling wise,lake fishing is slowing and it's slightly early for our rivers...:(