I. D

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Why's that Jason?

Happened today on a canal match, out the 3 lines I was fishing the the inside and middle lines slowly died with the last few fish being mainly ruffe.

Seems they're the ones that mop up after the rest of them

theartist

Reaction score
Happened today on a canal match, out the 3 lines I was fishing the the inside and middle lines slowly died with the last few fish being mainly ruffe.

Seems they're the ones that mop up after the rest of them

Righto maybe there the least aggressive in shoal feeding, i'll look out for that next trip up the canal

simon-jack

Reaction score
Are these all Roach?
f6b0697ea9b511a8cc292bcaae2cd4fe.jpg
44c25440acf47a3c3d54f9bb676c63e8.jpg
b1809c073d5acce00060351f28ee3d4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The top one is a roach bream hybrid, the middle a chublet and the bottom a roach. Roach have orange eyes not yellow..

sam vimes

Reaction score
Top and bottom are roach, but there could be a dash of bream in the top one (anal fin looks suspiciously long). The classic red eyes and fins are not always very distinct with roach, especially small ones.
The middle pic looks to be a chublet. However, without seeing whether the fins (especially the dorsal) are concave or convex, it may be a dace. Small chub and dace can be a little difficult to distinguish without a look at the spread fins.

simon-jack

Reaction score
Thank you all. You’re like my fish encyclopaedia lol.
I look at fish pictures to try and identify first but it’s tricky when they aren’t always exactly coloured right or if they’re hybrids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

puffer_

Reaction score
I used to see loads of ruffe and loads of gudgeon on the canal I fish, but since returning to fishing I'm yet to see one, although admittedly the spot I fish seems to have become a big predator spot.

Are they less common these days in general, or is it likely just the spot I fish in, with it holding plenty of zander, some pike, and large perch?

I used to curse when I caught another ruffe, but I'd actually quite like to see one again! :D