Pike runs ..............How long?

The bad one

Reaction score
I take the term strike as a generic term and understand it has to be called something.
However as as an extension to this post I would say that the action I find best is actually a tightening down and sweep back to keep contact.

Its my belief that the hooks penetrate when the pike feels this tightening and opens up to let go, allowing the hooks to move in to a previously tight gripped jaw.

I write this to put right any thought of striking as you would perhaps in other types of fishing to someone starting out piking.

Does this ring true with others or do some disagree?
Yes it does John I described it to a mate who told me about the video, "pull into the fish."
But Piker Biker strikes into the fish in the vid. :eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
I take the term strike as a generic term and understand it has to be called something.
However as as an extension to this post I would say that the action I find best is actually a tightening down and sweep back to keep contact.

Its my belief that the hooks penetrate when the pike feels this tightening and opens up to let go, allowing the hooks to move in to a previously tight gripped jaw.

I write this to put right any thought of striking as you would perhaps in other types of fishing to someone starting out piking.

Does this ring true with others or do some disagree?

Agree entirely John, I used to strike runs until I read somewhere (cant remember where but may have been in a book by Jim Gibbinson) that he and a mate of his pulled into fish as you describe. and were more successful using this method.

When I fished at range for pike years ago I was using mono and any take had to be tightened down to and "reeled in" fast to set the hooks, I reckon the hooks weren't set most of the time until the fish got closer and it was just the pressure involved that kept me attached to the fish.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
One factor that hasn't been mentioned is distance from cover. In open water, both angler and pike would have to be awfully unlucky for the bait to be cast into the pike's open mouth; it approaches, takes hold of the bait, and clears off home. You have, of course, no idea of the approach, but the take should shake the float about a bit, warning you to wind down as soon as it moves off.
In or right by cover, the pike already is at home, and will just sneak up and sip the bait in, and you have to reach for the rod at the first sign of resurrection of your deadbait , and wind down sharpish at the next twitch, if not sooner.
Watching pike gently inhale frogs at spawning time is deeply disturbing, not least because I like frogs; if you consider how much less hurried they are when approaching a long-dead smelt, it's a wonder they're not all deep-hooked. Patience is definitely no virtue when connecting with pike in the weeds.

naxian62

Reaction score
I see that vid has been taken down. By the user, no less. Musta got wind of this thread. Ah!

The bad one

Reaction score
I see that vid has been taken down. By the user, no less. Musta got wind of this thread. Ah!
Indeed he has. Well the bad practices are no longer being viewed by the newcomers to pike fishing now it's gone. Guess by highlighting it we just may have saved a few pike across the world.

dicky123

Reaction score
If the set up is correct, it should be instant and as soon as the pike picks up the bait. Always prepare for the biggest fish your likely to catch, not the smallest.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
It is undoubtedly a contoversial subject. I use traces that I make myself, comprising one single hook and one treble. When deadbaiting with alarms, I strike instantly. When float fishing, I count to three. Haven't had a deep-hooked pike when float fishing using the three count method, but have missed plenty of bites - still, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it any longer.