Pike runs ..............How long?

The bad one

Reaction score
What do members consider a reasonable/unreasonable time before you pull into a pike run?
10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 seconds plus

steve2

Reaction score
As soon as it runs count to 10 if you must don't wait for the fish to swallow the bait.

thecrow

Reaction score
How long? as long as it takes to pick the rod up and strike, there should never be any waiting or counting its dangerous for the fish, its bad enough having unavoidable deep hooking without encouraging it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say as fast as you can get to the rod and pick it up. If the bait is small enough the pike will just suck it in and swallow it in one go just as a chub would swallow a bunch of maggots!

B

binka

Immediately for me, I gap my trebles very short and tend to position them towards the middle of the bait where I envisage they will be occupying the centre of the mouth as the bait is slumped across it, before the bait is turned.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
if im ledgering a deadbait i mount a bait on snaptackle tail and middle and as soon as theres movement i tighten down if there is a strong pull ill give a short sharp strike there n then , float fishing a deadbait i strike as quick as i can, float fishing a livebait ill count to 10 slowly as i tighten up to the float then strike as a rule takes are a grab n move off kinda thing IMO, sink n draw/twitching a deadbait i generally just lift the the rod and lean into the fish with a little jerk near the top of the lift as it is usually a fast hard attacking strike from the fish with this method, very seldom get a deep hookup with these strike methods , i also flatten the 2 exposed barbs on bigger hooks to just about micro barbs(more a bump than a barb really) for easier unhooking and less damage to the fish even if deep hooked

terry m

Reaction score
How long? as long as it takes to pick the rod up and strike, there should never be any waiting or counting its dangerous for the fish, its bad enough having unavoidable deep hooking without encouraging it.

Spot on. The days of waiting for the run to stop and the fish turn the bait in its mouth blah blah are long gone. It's crazy to think that we used to do that back in the 70's.

As Crow says, pick up the rod and strike immediately. If you miss it, it is very likely a small jack.

john step

Reaction score
I think this post was in itself a FISHING EXERCISE??
Well done for bringing the subject up at the start of the traditional pike time of year.

jimlad

Reaction score
There are various mindsets to this question. I tend to hit a fish pretty quickly. If you miss it, chances are it was a jack anyway and not got he bait in its mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'll hit it straight away and, like others, believe most missed fish are jacks.....if a decent pike's got the bait in it's mouth an immediate strike will probably connect far more often than not.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I think this post was in itself a FISHING EXERCISE??
Well done for bringing the subject up at the start of the traditional pike time of year.
Indeed it is Terry oops John and when I've had my supper I'll put something up a link, for you all to watch.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Right guys watch this YouTube Video YouTube at 6 mins 10 sec he shows you the bait, sprat, and hooking set up, a single VB double hook. At 9 mins 55 secs he tells the audience a pike lifted his bait he then doesn't strike into the fish until 10 mins 37 secs.

That's 42 seconds he waits before he strikes at the fish. The fish he shows you he's unhooking in the vid is smaller with different markings and isn't the same fish he holds up for the camera, which is much larger. Now I wounder why he uses a different fish and shot for unhooking?

It saddens me to have to say this guy is a member of my club (for now) and is fishing a club length on the Ribble and posting videos to all anglers across the world of his disrespectful way of fishing. :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

tomino2112

Reaction score
I have zero experience comparing to others here, but I would say as a rule of thumb if you are in direct contact with your end tackle (float, touch ledgerring, spinning) wait for 2-4s before striking, if you are not in direct contact strike immediately (it will take you couple of seconds to execute the strike)

Thats just from my experience observing fish behavior in clear waters. It seems they tend to make a little nibble first before full-on attack.

Now that being said whenever you feel vicious bite strike immediately, often fish is lurking out of sight and then accelerates very quickly and basically swallows the whole thing.

I didnt see many pike/perch spit out offering like carp would do for example, it seems that when they decide to attack they are not backing out.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just another wannabe film star making money from hits on youtube.
Leaving a pike run so long is bad but also to hold fish up to the camera for an eternity while talking bullshine is beyond belief....any decent club would revoke his membership asap!

thecrow

Reaction score
Right guys watch this YouTube Video YouTube at 6 mins 10 sec he shows you the bait, sprat, and hooking set up, a single VB double hook. At 9 mins 55 secs he tells the audience a pike lifted his bait he then doesn't strike into the fish until 10 mins 37 secs.

That's 42 seconds he waits before he strikes at the fish. The fish he shows you he's unhooking in the vid is smaller with different markings and isn't the same fish he holds up for the camera, which is much larger. Now I wounder why he uses a different fish and shot for unhooking?

It saddens me to have to say this guy is a member of my club (for now) and is fishing a club length on the Ribble and posting videos to all anglers across the world of his disrespectful way of fishing. :mad::mad::mad:

The worrying thing about this is that inexperienced pikers will see the video and think that his antics are normal actions for pike fishing.

thecrow

Reaction score
Phil I hadn't watched the video before making my first post taking your word for what was on it, having now watched it I have come to the conclusion that this bloke is an ar$h0!e and more interested in himself than whatever he catches, great piece of angling leaving that chub in the net on the bank while he satisfies his over inflated ego in front of the camera, imo he needs hauling up before the club committee and reprimanded in the strongest terms or better for the fish banned but that would just move the problem elsewhere.

puffer_

Reaction score
As soon as I can get my hand on the rod.

I'd certainly rather not have to be poking around any deeper than I need to when unhooking, both for my benefit and the pike.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
If the trace is hanging out of the pike's ar5e when you land it you have probably left it a bit too long......:)

john step

Reaction score
I take the term strike as a generic term and understand it has to be called something.
However as as an extension to this post I would say that the action I find best is actually a tightening down and sweep back to keep contact.

Its my belief that the hooks penetrate when the pike feels this tightening and opens up to let go, allowing the hooks to move in to a previously tight gripped jaw.

I write this to put right any thought of striking as you would perhaps in other types of fishing to someone starting out piking.

Does this ring true with others or do some disagree?