Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Pike runs ..............How long?

What do members consider a reasonable/unreasonable time before you pull into a pike run?
    10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 seconds plus

Default Re: Pike runs ..............How long?

As soon as it runs count to 10 if you must don't wait for the fish to swallow the bait.

Blog Entries

How long? as long as it takes to pick the rod up and strike, there should never be any waiting or counting its dangerous for the fish, its bad enough having unavoidable deep hooking without encouraging it.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

I say as fast as you can get to the rod and pick it up. If the bait is small enough the pike will just suck it in and swallow it in one go just as a chub would swallow a bunch of maggots!

binka Guest

Immediately for me, I gap my trebles very short and tend to position them towards the middle of the bait where I envisage they will be occupying the centre of the mouth as the bait is slumped across it, before the bait is turned.

if im ledgering a deadbait i mount a bait on snaptackle tail and middle and as soon as theres movement i tighten down if there is a strong pull ill give a short sharp strike there n then , float fishing a deadbait i strike as quick as i can, float fishing a livebait ill count to 10 slowly as i tighten up to the float then strike as a rule takes are a grab n move off kinda thing IMO, sink n draw/twitching a deadbait i generally just lift the the rod and lean into the fish with a little jerk near the top of the lift as it is usually a fast hard attacking strike from the fish with this method, very seldom get a deep hookup with these strike methods , i also flatten the 2 exposed barbs on bigger hooks to just about micro barbs(more a bump than a barb really) for easier unhooking and less damage to the fish even if deep hooked
    bananabread beer is better than sliced pan

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    How long? as long as it takes to pick the rod up and strike, there should never be any waiting or counting its dangerous for the fish, its bad enough having unavoidable deep hooking without encouraging it.
    Spot on. The days of waiting for the run to stop and the fish turn the bait in its mouth blah blah are long gone. It's crazy to think that we used to do that back in the 70's.

As Crow says, pick up the rod and strike immediately. If you miss it, it is very likely a small jack.

I think this post was in itself a FISHING EXERCISE??
    Well done for bringing the subject up at the start of the traditional pike time of year.

There are various mindsets to this question. I tend to hit a fish pretty quickly. If you miss it, chances are it was a jack anyway and not got he bait in its mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please visit my blog at www.jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

I'll hit it straight away and, like others, believe most missed fish are jacks.....if a decent pike's got the bait in it's mouth an immediate strike will probably connect far more often than not.
    Last edited by barbelboi; 09-10-2017 at 21:53. Reason: typo
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast