Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is the magic still there?

My wife says so !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    Exactly I will never understand some anglers obsession with how others fish, I do what I want what others do is of no interest to me other than seeing the results of their efforts or trying a method I have seen another angler using that I think I may enjoy.
    I feel exactly the same, folk should be left to fish as they please.
    How can grumbling about how other anglers fish be any help to the moaners. Instead of sniping we should just accept they may fish in a different fashion, we may all be kicking in the same direction then.
    Grumbling smacks of jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    I feel exactly the same, folk should be left to fish as they please.
    How can grumbling about how other anglers fish be any help to the moaners. Instead of sniping we should just accept they may fish in a different fashion, we may all be kicking in the same direction then.
    Grumbling smacks of jealousy.
    Erudite indeed. Live and let live.

Blog Entries

A wonderful thought,until your having a pleasant day's roach fishing and a bivvie bound carp angler plonks in the next peg and spods a bucket full of bait in,it has happened to me several times,worst of it is I wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's day...fishing today can almost be open warfare,so glad there aren't enough carp to interest these sort of muppets on the rivers I fish in the winter.

I hear what you're saying, and to some extent I feel similar about commercials (each to their own though). Not in a big way though, and I love fishing no matter what.

I have always preferred rivers and canals as they still give me that element of surprise (for better or for worse!), but then I was brought up fishing them, canals in particular, so I'm probably biased.

I'm not a big fan of commercials when they're busy and very open, with all the spods flying about and bite alarms going off, but that's probably just me getting older and even more antisocial

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    A wonderful thought,until your having a pleasant day's roach fishing and a bivvie bound carp angler plonks in the next peg and spods a bucket full of bait in,it has happened to me several times,worst of it is I wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's day...fishing today can almost be open warfare,so glad there aren't enough carp to interest these sort of muppets on the rivers I fish in the winter.
    aka 'Mallet Man' who may end up walking funny with a mallet shoved where the sun don't shine one of these days...

As most of my fishing is from stretches of rivers, backwaters and streams where, apart from my fishing buddy, have seen only two other anglers in the last two years and none this season there's plenty of magic...........
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post

I have said it before there are 2 types of anglers where carp are concerned, there are those that fish for carp and then there are carp anglers.

I have had anglers settle in above me and start trotting a float into my swim, why do they insist on striking in front of me at the end of each and every trot?
    It didn't spoil my fishing but boy did it get on my nerves
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well.
    My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in. I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.
    But does it really matter when many are just playing the numbers game where only size matters?

Redmire was already drained and netted years ago, despite which they never did find that monster that everyone from Hilton to Hutchinson saw.

I recon angling magic & mystery stills exists on every ones doorstep if they are willing to look for it. Its not just about the known Carp lake with the known Carp in it. How about the Perch potential in that canal down the road ? …or the Eel potential in the old village duck pond that no one ever fishes ? …or the Dace potential in that little stream everyone walks by on their way to the main river ? …or the Roach potential in the known carp lake as everyone is focused on the Carp ?

Mystery and magic still in abundance I would say !

The magic is still there for me, always has been. All I need to do to activate it is to go fishing. I do have the fault of naming my fish, but only the ones I lose. I am not very original, they all have the same name, It begins with B*****, and ends with, D. Pete.
    Casternets

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast