Is the magic still there?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The magic is still there for me, always has been. All I need to do to activate it is to go fishing. I do have the fault of naming my fish, but only the ones I lose. I am not very original, they all have the same name, It begins with B*****, and ends with, D. Pete.

I like your style :cool: :D.

B

binka

I think there are three kinds of magic...

The nostalgia driven magic which we all remember, the new magic which just happens on the day and the magic which we, one way or another, make happen.

All of them are very much still there for me, even more than ever in certain circumstances and it's probably why I'm as happy fishing for gudgeon as I am barbel, pike or zander.

On the last of those three kinds of magic, the magic that we make happen, I'm not just talking about changing things around to bring about a bite or two.

One thing that I have relatively recently found to be quite a magical pleasure is that of catching fish on one of your own, hand crafted floats and it just pushes you into a never ending process of making another for that next day out on a different pond, lake or river where the requirements are likely to be completely different.

Having that flexibility to create exactly what you want (I deliberately used the word 'want' instead of 'need') as opposed to buying the nearest thing to it, is a very satisfying feeling and given that the mass produced floats of years ago tended to be far more colourful and characterful affairs it's a nice link back which is incorporated into my present day fishing.

I appreciate it's not for everyone but it suits me down to the ground :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One sort of magic is that of just being there, relaxing back in your chair, total peace and quiet, nature going on around you, the warmth of the sun on your face etc. Its all that peripheral stuff that goes with fishing that induces a nice feeling of well being.
I think I miss that more than the fish when I haven't been for some time.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
The magic part for me in fishing is the unknown. One lake I am fishing at the moment I feel as far bigger pike than have been caught (29lb), but just where are they. Every time I feel the pull on the lure I think is this going to be the one. It may sound strange but I hope in a way that I never catch it.

rayner

Reaction score
A wonderful thought,until your having a pleasant day's roach fishing and a bivvie bound carp angler plonks in the next peg and spods a bucket full of bait in,it has happened to me several times,worst of it is I wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's day...fishing today can almost be open warfare,so glad there aren't enough carp to interest these sort of muppets on the rivers I fish in the winter.:)

In all my years of fishing the same thing happened once, very recently in fact in the next peg.
I had to ask what was happening, chrissh explained to me what was going on. I'd never seen anything like it. On a commercial to boot, and yes killed my swim. If he'd have walked around the corner a few pegs he could have fed by hand. I just thought pilchard and ignored his antics.

puffer_

Reaction score
The magic part for me in fishing is the unknown. One lake I am fishing at the moment I feel as far bigger pike than have been caught (29lb), but just where are they. Every time I feel the pull on the lure I think is this going to be the one. It may sound strange but I hope in a way that I never catch it.

I agree, and that's largely why I love canals and rivers; there's always a surprise to be had.

mikench

Reaction score
Never caught a gudgeon before today and I was thrilled when I did! There followed about a dozen until the rain really started to fall. They are a beautiful little fish and clearly had eyes bigger than their stomachs !:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
Never caught a gudgeon before today and I was thrilled when I did! There followed about a dozen until the rain really started to fall. They are a beautiful little fish and clearly had eyes bigger than their stomachs !:rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of Gudgeon, when I was a kid and we used to fish for Minnows in the stream we would see these "enourmous" fish in amougst the minnows which where of course Gudgeon and we used to try and steer our maggots past the minnow hordes to catch the monsters below.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I mainly fish the Lea Navigation, it's 26 miles long and it goes from inner London (Bow) to Hertford, so you never know what's coming along.

And that's the way I like it, it's under fished because it's difficult and your never going to bag up.

But its ideal for specimen type fishing which requires a bit of effort and its not to every ones taste.

Some where along its length is a 5lb Perch and that's why I fish it, although I live miles away from the Lea now, it keeps calling me back !!

Bob

robcourt82

Reaction score
If the magic has gone for you then I feel sorry for you, when it goes for me it will be quickly followed by my cremation!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If the magic has gone for you then I feel sorry for you, when it goes for me it will be quickly followed by my cremation!
Why waste it! I'm donating my body to angling, someone can hang me from a tree over their swim and when the maggots start to drop out, they've got a free ground baiting regime for a week or two and I owe it to the fish.

Offer it at your favorite commercial next time, they might give you a free day and think of the savings in funeral costs and what better epitaph to hang round your skeleton, Here swings old Rob, angler to the end and the beyond.

My imagination knows no bounds.

Last edited:

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lol I have already discussed many similar options with my now ex missus but apparently they're all illegal! I really couldn't give 2 hoots what they do with my body when its of no use to me... I'm more worried they will sell my gear for what I said I paid for it!

Reaction score

I don't know how old you are Rob,but as you age,things may just change,last week,after a particularly sh#te time at work and looking forward to going fishing I ended back home before noon,the reason,I found myself nodding off on my chair whilst trying for barbel and thought it is more comfortable at home...sometimes the choice of method and target species has to coincide with being on the bank to provide that magic,my mistake was duly noted.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Lol I have already discussed many similar options with my now ex missus but apparently they're all illegal! I really couldn't give 2 hoots what they do with my body when its of no use to me... I'm more worried they will sell my gear for what I said I paid for it!

I know what you mean Rob, I have a different problem. a brother who is always nicking my gear so I'm leaving it all to him. But I'm going to sabotage all of it it before I do; weaken the rods, nicks in the line, blunt the hooks etc. Well worth the price, I will go a happy man knowing the fish he will lose, leave a spoke in his magic.
Nah only joking but the amount of stuff of mine I find hidden in his shed when I visit and he just laughs when I find it, he thinks its hilarious but I will have him one day.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Why waste it! I'm donating my body to angling, someone can hang me from a tree over their swim and when the maggots start to drop out, they've got a free ground baiting regime for a week or two and I owe it to the fish.

Offer it at your favorite commercial next time, they might give you a free day and think of the savings in funeral costs and what better epitaph to hang round your skeleton, Here swings old Rob, angler to the end and the beyond.

My imagination knows no bounds.

Dont be ridiculous Mark, surely it would be far easier to use your ashes as a groundbait base ?

Joking aside I did actually think this - that when the time comes I wouldnt mind being scattered in a nice river somewhere.

...I'll ask them to do it upstream of an angler ...may as well give someone a good days fishing at the same time.:D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Dont be ridiculous Mark, surely it would be far easier to use your ashes as a groundbait base ?

Joking aside I did actually think this - that when the time comes I wouldnt mind being scattered in a nice river somewhere.

...I'll ask them to do it upstream of an angler ...may as well give someone a good days fishing at the same time.:D
There's all sorts of permutations Phillip, actually the tree idea came from an old fishing buddy, he always used to tell me that, made me laugh but you have to have a certain sense of humor. Be nice to be scattered on a river, we scattered an old friend in the sea last year, a naval man and there was something right about it so for an avid angler, I reckon it would be fitting. The magic of fishing, there's more to it:)

Last edited:

robcourt82

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Whitty, sometimes real life does get in the way and ruin a days fishing and sometimes (rarely) I don't even really want to go but most of the time it really is like magic for me. As I get older I appreciate my time on the bank more and more and if I am ever unable to fish then I hope I can still sit and watch someone else fish!

john step

Reaction score
WE actually have an angler or two scattered or ashes buried at our club lake.
Its owned by anglers so safe in perpetuity.
Good as anywhere.