Is the magic still there?

steve2

Reaction score
Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well.
My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in. I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.
But does it really matter when many are just playing the numbers game where only size matters?

thecrow

Reaction score
where only size matters

Many have done that for a long time since angling became a pass time rather than a way of providing food for the family, many years ago I was one. The numbers game is something that has gone on for as long as I can remember so its nothing new, is it any different to a float angler counting how many fish they have caught?

I don't like the naming of fish or the habit of others when seeing a known fish caught saying oh that was out whenever at such and such weight, at that moment the fish is something personal to the angler.

Rivers are far less likely to have named fish in them and the only stretch I can think of off hand was where the traveller lived, interesting that those that gazumped the club that held the rights all drifted away after the big girls were gone.

Redmire is now a commercial it bears no resemblance to the days of Walker or even Yates and Hutchinson but even during the days when they fished it fish had names were recognised and weights known. Right from the beginning number and size of fish were known as it was stocked with carp.

Anglers that fish for larger fish have always known that the fish they were after were of a size they wanted to catch in a particular water or why fish it?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well. My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in.?

Not for me. I fish one water where the stocking history is pretty well documented. It still throws up surprises. Known fish disappear for years on end. Small stocked fish vanish for years only to reappear at significant sizes. Fish that were presumed dead miraculously reappear.

When it comes to rivers, not enough people are actually fishing most of them to really know. Yes, you have known big fish on certain stretches, but that's about it. There are miles and miles of river that are barely fished. It may be the case that there's nothing particularly earth shattering in many of them, but there's always a chance.

I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.?

Sadly, from what I've heard, draining and restocking may be inevitable if it is to continue as a fishery. If they don't, it may just end up a fishless pool with a nice backstory.

But does it really matter when many are just playing the numbers game where only size matters?

Size has always mattered to some, and it always will. Some grow into that mindset, others never do. Some pass through it as a phase of their angling lives. Each to their own. I won't lose sleep over what another person's angling philosophy might be.

theartist

Reaction score
The magic is still there for me, every trip is an adventure and a journey into the unknown. Wouldn't swap it for anything

rayner

Reaction score
I've never felt the need to name a fish. I've had a tank with both tropical and marine fishes, never named those either.
To call fishing magic doesn't equate for me either.
I do get excited every time I'm out and regardless of the result the excitement hasn't left me yet. Whatever it's called it's still strong.

floatfish

Reaction score
Half the fun of going is will you catch, or what will you catch.?
Then watching for bites and the wonder of what you have on the hook.
Or not,if you miss it, what was it.?
Places that specify one type of fish or named ones have their place for those
who want to fish that way.

thecrow

Reaction score
those
who want to fish that way

Exactly I will never understand some anglers obsession with how others fish, I do what I want what others do is of no interest to me other than seeing the results of their efforts or trying a method I have seen another angler using that I think I may enjoy.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think rivers change over time, I started fishing a river some years ago with an old lag who was going back to this river after a very long lay off..He made me walk a mile to a overhanging tree bit where he remembered some good carp hung out. We fished it for years and never did see a carp, they must have found somewhere else. The odd thing is he passed away and a few months later I was fishing it and spotted a large carp right close in the bank; probably him! But I never did catch one there. Rivers are always a bit of unknown quantity to me and I prefer that.
I fished one commercial occasionally that has an impressive list on a board but it always seem to be full of carp and not much else, is it always genuine! But I like the anglers tales, they keep me going although I never match the stories. I cannot think of one occasion where I have caught whats supposed to be in a water!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To my mind I go fishing to get away from the maddening crowds and the world of numbers, statistics and records et al.

I am equally as happy trotting a float down a river swim as I am sat behind a battery of bite alarms or sat holding onto 14½m of long pole, or indeed a 2½m line to hand whip catching bleak . . . . .

It is the occasion for me these days that is the most important and not necessarily the results.

So, for me, the Magic is most definitely still there, but these days the lines from Mark 14-28 spring readily to mind . . . .

;)

rayner

Reaction score
Exactly I will never understand some anglers obsession with how others fish, I do what I want what others do is of no interest to me other than seeing the results of their efforts or trying a method I have seen another angler using that I think I may enjoy.

I feel exactly the same, folk should be left to fish as they please.
How can grumbling about how other anglers fish be any help to the moaners. Instead of sniping we should just accept they may fish in a different fashion, we may all be kicking in the same direction then.
Grumbling smacks of jealousy.

terry m

Reaction score
I feel exactly the same, folk should be left to fish as they please.
How can grumbling about how other anglers fish be any help to the moaners. Instead of sniping we should just accept they may fish in a different fashion, we may all be kicking in the same direction then.
Grumbling smacks of jealousy.

Erudite indeed. Live and let live.

Reaction score
A wonderful thought,until your having a pleasant day's roach fishing and a bivvie bound carp angler plonks in the next peg and spods a bucket full of bait in,it has happened to me several times,worst of it is I wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's day...fishing today can almost be open warfare,so glad there aren't enough carp to interest these sort of muppets on the rivers I fish in the winter.:)

puffer_

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, and to some extent I feel similar about commercials (each to their own though). Not in a big way though, and I love fishing no matter what.

I have always preferred rivers and canals as they still give me that element of surprise (for better or for worse!), but then I was brought up fishing them, canals in particular, so I'm probably biased.

I'm not a big fan of commercials when they're busy and very open, with all the spods flying about and bite alarms going off, but that's probably just me getting older and even more antisocial :p

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A wonderful thought,until your having a pleasant day's roach fishing and a bivvie bound carp angler plonks in the next peg and spods a bucket full of bait in,it has happened to me several times,worst of it is I wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's day...fishing today can almost be open warfare,so glad there aren't enough carp to interest these sort of muppets on the rivers I fish in the winter.:)

aka 'Mallet Man' who may end up walking funny with a mallet shoved where the sun don't shine one of these days...

barbelboi

Reaction score
As most of my fishing is from stretches of rivers, backwaters and streams where, apart from my fishing buddy, have seen only two other anglers in the last two years and none this season there's plenty of magic...........

thecrow

Reaction score

I have said it before there are 2 types of anglers where carp are concerned, there are those that fish for carp and then there are carp anglers.

I have had anglers settle in above me and start trotting a float into my swim, why do they insist on striking in front of me at the end of each and every trot?
It didn't spoil my fishing but boy did it get on my nerves :)

Philip

Reaction score
Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well.
My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in. I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.

Redmire was already drained and netted years ago, despite which they never did find that monster that everyone from Hilton to Hutchinson saw.

I recon angling magic & mystery stills exists on every ones doorstep if they are willing to look for it. Its not just about the known Carp lake with the known Carp in it. How about the Perch potential in that canal down the road ? …or the Eel potential in the old village duck pond that no one ever fishes ? …or the Dace potential in that little stream everyone walks by on their way to the main river ? …or the Roach potential in the known carp lake as everyone is focused on the Carp ?

Mystery and magic still in abundance I would say !

bracket

Reaction score
The magic is still there for me, always has been. All I need to do to activate it is to go fishing. I do have the fault of naming my fish, but only the ones I lose. I am not very original, they all have the same name, It begins with B*****, and ends with, D. Pete.