Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Is the magic still there?

Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well.
    My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in. I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.
    But does it really matter when many are just playing the numbers game where only size matters?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is the magic still there?

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    where only size matters

Many have done that for a long time since angling became a pass time rather than a way of providing food for the family, many years ago I was one. The numbers game is something that has gone on for as long as I can remember so its nothing new, is it any different to a float angler counting how many fish they have caught?

I don't like the naming of fish or the habit of others when seeing a known fish caught saying oh that was out whenever at such and such weight, at that moment the fish is something personal to the angler.

Rivers are far less likely to have named fish in them and the only stretch I can think of off hand was where the traveller lived, interesting that those that gazumped the club that held the rights all drifted away after the big girls were gone.

Redmire is now a commercial it bears no resemblance to the days of Walker or even Yates and Hutchinson but even during the days when they fished it fish had names were recognised and weights known. Right from the beginning number and size of fish were known as it was stocked with carp.

Anglers that fish for larger fish have always known that the fish they were after were of a size they wanted to catch in a particular water or why fish it?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Is the magic being removed from fishing? It seems that most waters can give you a list of what size the fish are in the water be they rivers or ponds. What they are called, when they were last caught, how much they have gained or lost in weight. This isn’t just for carp but other fish as well. My own club is about to net a water just to find out what is in.?
    Not for me. I fish one water where the stocking history is pretty well documented. It still throws up surprises. Known fish disappear for years on end. Small stocked fish vanish for years only to reappear at significant sizes. Fish that were presumed dead miraculously reappear.

When it comes to rivers, not enough people are actually fishing most of them to really know. Yes, you have known big fish on certain stretches, but that's about it. There are miles and miles of river that are barely fished. It may be the case that there's nothing particularly earth shattering in many of them, but there's always a chance.

I have read that Redmire might be drained and restocked removing for once and for all the magic of that water.?
    Sadly, from what I've heard, draining and restocking may be inevitable if it is to continue as a fishery. If they don't, it may just end up a fishless pool with a nice backstory.

But does it really matter when many are just playing the numbers game where only size matters?
    Size has always mattered to some, and it always will. Some grow into that mindset, others never do. Some pass through it as a phase of their angling lives. Each to their own. I won't lose sleep over what another person's angling philosophy might be.

The magic is still there for me, every trip is an adventure and a journey into the unknown. Wouldn't swap it for anything

Blog Entries

I've never felt the need to name a fish. I've had a tank with both tropical and marine fishes, never named those either.
    To call fishing magic doesn't equate for me either.
    I do get excited every time I'm out and regardless of the result the excitement hasn't left me yet. Whatever it's called it's still strong.

Half the fun of going is will you catch, or what will you catch.?
    Then watching for bites and the wonder of what you have on the hook.
    Or not,if you miss it, what was it.?
    Places that specify one type of fish or named ones have their place for those
    who want to fish that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floatfish View Post
    those
    who want to fish that way
    Exactly I will never understand some anglers obsession with how others fish, I do what I want what others do is of no interest to me other than seeing the results of their efforts or trying a method I have seen another angler using that I think I may enjoy.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    .... every trip is an adventure and a journey into the unknown.
    For me too....courtesy of the M25.

I think rivers change over time, I started fishing a river some years ago with an old lag who was going back to this river after a very long lay off..He made me walk a mile to a overhanging tree bit where he remembered some good carp hung out. We fished it for years and never did see a carp, they must have found somewhere else. The odd thing is he passed away and a few months later I was fishing it and spotted a large carp right close in the bank; probably him! But I never did catch one there. Rivers are always a bit of unknown quantity to me and I prefer that.
    I fished one commercial occasionally that has an impressive list on a board but it always seem to be full of carp and not much else, is it always genuine! But I like the anglers tales, they keep me going although I never match the stories. I cannot think of one occasion where I have caught whats supposed to be in a water!
    Last edited by markg; 18-10-2017 at 14:01.

Blog Entries

To my mind I go fishing to get away from the maddening crowds and the world of numbers, statistics and records et al.

I am equally as happy trotting a float down a river swim as I am sat behind a battery of bite alarms or sat holding onto 14½m of long pole, or indeed a 2½m line to hand whip catching bleak . . . . .

It is the occasion for me these days that is the most important and not necessarily the results.

So, for me, the Magic is most definitely still there, but these days the lines from Mark 14-28 spring readily to mind . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast