Impulse Buys

nottskev

Reaction score
I usually buy stuff sensibly – like good-condition, second-hand, tried and tested rods and reels. But I do give in to random irresistible bargains now and again. I spotted a brand new tip section for a Tri-Cast 18' float rod on Ebay. I looked up the model: rrp nearly £400. The Buy It Now price was £15, so I bought it. I don't have the rod, but you never know, the tip might inspire me. Or it might be a fit for one of my long rods. Or I might make something out of it – a brook or canal float rod. A tip section for fishing pole-feeder. At that price....

What have you bought, on the grounds that you can't refuse at that price, and it might come in handy?

mikench

Reaction score
Kev you surprise me! Mind you if the rod comes up for sale minus the tip section at a bargain price, you will be in clover !:)

I have bought loads of things at " bargain prices" but most non fishing related! I did buy not so long ago a Tricast John Allerton 13 ft float rod at a bargain price . It is for trotting but can be used for any type of float fishing! I hope it comes in handy!;)

I am really pleased with my new Abu 507 bought new at less than half price and use it all the time! I am waiting for a bargain Normark !:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kev you surprise me! Mind you if the rod comes up for sale minus the tip section at a bargain price, you will be in clover !:)

I have bought loads of things at " bargain prices" but most non fishing related! I did buy not so long ago a Tricast John Allerton 13 ft float rod at a bargain price . It is for trotting but can be used for any type of float fishing! I hope it comes in handy!;)

I am really pleased with my new Abu 507 bought new at less than half price and use it all the time! I am waiting for a bargain Normark !:rolleyes:

What model was the Allerton rod you got Mike?
I keep looking for you a mint normark but they seem to be very thin on the ground at the moment,i'll keep looking though ;).

thecrow

Reaction score
Mostly bits that I don't need but are cheap and from china, my lad asked me on Wednesday if I had any starlights I told him no and ordered some of e bay, yesterday after I had ordered them I found 60 (12 packets of 5) hanging on the wall where I keep my stuff so that's something I needn't have purchased but did because I never looked properly, still if we get a power cut they could come in handy :D

nottskev

Reaction score

What was the Johnny Cash song? One Piece at a Time.....

The John Allerton rods are super by all accounts - I have a couple from the Tri-Cast Finesse range, the models before.

mikench

Reaction score
What model was the Allerton rod you got Mike?
I keep looking for you a mint normark but they seem to be very thin on the ground at the moment,i'll keep looking though ;).

It's a 13' match rod 3-15 g casting weight!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a 13' match rod 3-15 g casting weight!

Oh right, but what model is is Mike, is it a modern rod or an older version? I'm not really familiar with tri cast rods only that i'm not very keen on the allerton match waggler I bought :eek:mg:.

mikench

Reaction score
It is the older version ! It says Special 16 on the reel seat and the rod is dark grey with purple whippings Sam!

flightliner

Reaction score
Mike, a friend picked up a Normark Titan 2000 the other day for a little under £40.
It needed two damaged runners replacing.
A no brainer !

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I keep trying to buy a shimano diaflash pole >>
but some bloke called Kev from Notts beats me to it,
I am also looking for a Daiwa harrier system whip,
My impulse buy was a Preston Innovations Absolute Compact seatbox
about 18 months ago, I don't think PI looked in a dictionary to see what the word compact means, it was like a mini oil rig, I sold it a few months ago and bought a 2nd hand ASI box,

Reaction score
I'm sure I've posted this on another thread somewhere but....I get an impulse that says I want an item,but then debate it with myself to a week,month,whatever...then I buy the bloody thing:)

rayner

Reaction score
I won't admit to any impulse buys, perhaps things get replaced a little before may be they should.
In a little over two weeks I've purchased a new reel, new bib and brace a new landing net pole and net. None of which I couldn't manage without.
It's appears to happen every year on a more regular basis as I get older.
A three week lay off with a few health issues sparked my latest spending episode. I think now my urge has been curbed for a while.
The only trouble being, my wife has to compete with either jewellery or shoes.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have done the odd impulse buy.
It's easy to get carried away and for me usually regret it in the end.
These days I am more carefully and think it though it for some time first.

mikench

Reaction score
I won't admit to any impulse buys, perhaps things get replaced a little before may be they should.
In a little over two weeks I've purchased a new reel, new bib and brace a new landing net pole and net. None of which I couldn't manage without.
It's appears to happen every year on a more regular basis as I get older.
A three week lay off with a few health issues sparked my latest spending episode. I think now my urge has been curbed for a while.
The only trouble being, my wife has to compete with either jewellery or shoes.

What about your new Browning pole Rayner, you forget to mention that!;) I hope you like it! We are not here long and this life ain't no dress rehearsal so buy what you want and enjoy it while you can!:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've only ever made two impulse purchases to be honest, one was a second hand lawn mower and the other a mail order Russian bride . . . . .

Neither went much worth a damn . . . . . . .

:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
The thing is, I still feel like a regular angler despite not being able to fish so often...which translates into impulse buys from boot sales or junk shops and the very occasional new purchase, adding to the hoard in the front bedroom.

The new purchases are spot-on, but the used -usually sh!t cheap - buys bought on impulse...there must be a dozen rods "waiting for the right situation." It may be time for a bit of consolidation, in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, they all get the occasional fondle - a bit like Gollum and his preciousss!

mikench

Reaction score
Good to see you posting Rob!:) You appear to have a far superior range of car boots and charity shops at least as far as fishing tackle is concerned!:)

If you see any decent Normark rods think of me and buy! ;) You will not regret it!:rolleyes:

Did I say I was delusional ?:D