Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up agaisnt it

Default Up agaisnt it

Been struggling of late. Not even a knock on my local river in carefully prebaited swims. I would have expected at least a Bream but absolutely nothing has been troubling my baits.

Whilst sitting there wondering what was going on my attention wandered to the far bank and then it dawned on me that perhaps the problem has been staring me in the face all along. Not a great picture as it was with the mobile phone as it was getting dark but I counted over 100 Cormorants coming in to roost in the trees and with the amount still flying about I could probably double that easily.

It cant be good. ...can it ?

Default Re: Up agaisnt it

Permit, shotgun, rifle spring to mind and not necessary in that order!

One hundred cormorants? not even Alfred could imagine such a scene.

Blog Entries

What river is it, got to be loads of fish in it to sustain so many comorants????

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    What river is it, got to be loads of fish in it to sustain so many comorants????
    Its the Seine, always had them but not in these numbers.

Worst of all this was one of my favourite Roach stretches. I dont think I'll even bother this winter.

That's crazy !! Not sure if you know about this site for recording predators
    Fishery Predation Survey Project

That's a roost, it doesn't mean they'll be feeding under it. There's a massive roost on a lake island not far from me and the water is a hard water but it's stuffed with fish including hoards of tiny rudd to 3lb +.

I think Rutland water has the largest population of cormorants in europe and yet it's crammed full of fish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    That's crazy !! Not sure if you know about this site for recording predators
    Fishery Predation Survey Project

Rich its on the Seine
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    That's a roost, it doesn't mean they'll be feeding under it. There's a massive roost on a lake island not far from me and the water is a hard water but it's stuffed with fish including hoards of tiny rudd to 3lb +.

I think Rutland water has the largest population of cormorants in europe and yet it's crammed full of fish.
    Well I hope your right Ian..the fishings been really slow, not even seeing many fish showing or topping which is quite unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Well I hope your right Ian..the fishings been really slow, not even seeing many fish showing or topping which is quite unusual.
    Sounds a little odd, maybe they're migrating downstream, they do round these parts at this time of year. All except the barbel and chub that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast