Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ground bait recipes

I have loads of different gb's in small amounts left over and plan to mix some together!

Are there any tried and tested formulae? . For example I have lots of liquidised bread both white and brown plus dead maggots in the freezer. Should I combine them .

I have some method mixes so plan to add pellets to this or vice versa!

I plan to float fish tomorrow with punch on the hook for roach and lob for perch

2. Default Re: Ground bait recipes

I don't understand. Are you asking for groundbait recipes or what to add to your groundbait?

Personally I use breadcrump as a binder in as low a quantity as possible, I think other things are better nutrionally and/or more attractive to fish.

I fish with a couple of French fellas and they're streets ahead of the average UK angler when it comes to groundbait, they taylor make each groundbait to the target species and water type. They place a massive emphasis on groundbait.

Default Re: Ground bait recipes

I have the remnants of several types of gb! Each on its own is not enough for even a few hours fishing. I wondered what other people did in these circumstances . I use crumb on its own usually!

Par example would you mix Ringers method mix with senses bloodworm?

To build my depleting GB stock i mix it with Chichen feed. The same as you can buy from Pets at home. I buy the same stuff in 25kg bags but from an animal feed store.

Blog Entries

Are these ground baits that have been previously mixed?

Personally I am no lover of home made ground baits at all preferring to use continental mixes. the main reason for this is that home made mixes tend to consist of a very high quantity of "feed" ingredients whereas a continental mix has feed, attractants, colourings, binding agents and stimulators.

I think many forget that the reason we use ground bait is to "attract" fish and not to over feed them . . . . .

Using commercial mixes if I have any left overs in small quantities then it goes in the bin as I found out years ago that the active ingredients once wetted and stored seem to fail to be as active the second time around.

Just my thoughts and I know there will be others claiming that home made are every it of good as commercial mixes . . . . personally though I would far prefer to use Expo or Gris Gardons in lieu of large quantities of whizzed-up Vitalin mixed with bread crumb.

The only time I use bread crumb, white or brown, is to bulk out a continental mix when needing to knock-up 5 or 6 kilos for a big match like the old Danish or Scandinavian Masters . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Yes all proprietary brands. I was only referring to mixing them up and whether anybody had a particular preference! I will create a little melange for next time out and see what happens as it seems a waste to throw the remains away. The remains, for the avoidance of doubt, are not what I have left over at the end of a session but what is left in the original bag!

For all I know Sensas red lake and Super crush green may be the piscatorial equivalent of bangers and mash!

I rarely mix up full bags but quite often use 2 or 3 different baits in a mix. Pleasure fishing if I had enough different bits and bobs I'd happily throw them together providing I thought they would compliment each other.
    Recently I have started to use a fair bit of brown crumb in my non carp mixes, i think it adds a good food value, is good value and let's be honest, there's not many fish that don't like a bit of bread.

8. Default Re: Ground bait recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Just my thoughts and I know there will be others claiming that home made are every it of good as commercial mixes . . . . personally though I would far prefer to use Expo or Gris Gardons in lieu of large quantities of whizzed-up Vitalin mixed with bread crumb.
    It's easy enough to make a homemade continental style groundbait mix and yes there alot more effective than whizzed-up vitalin.

3 parts brown crumb,
    3 parts grilled ground hemp,
    2 parts grilled ground peanuts,
    1 part coriander,
    and 1 part PV1

Is a nice river roach groundbait and not too expensive or difficult to make.
    Last edited by stillwater blue; 27-10-2017 at 14:32.

Blog Entries

I am exactly the same as Peter Jacobs in that I buy branded products.
    I've had my time trying to save a few quid regarding baits, Tried Vitalin and layers mash even blitzed dog biscuits. I've gone down the drying bread and grinding it.
    I've now come to the conclusion that top quality bait is far more effective.

Manufacturers of Ground baits put in a lot of research to get the best possible product.
    It's simple if a groundbait is not up to another companies standard it won't sell. They are all trying to better each other.
    With regard to left over GB if it's dry I save it, once mixed I use it all.

I would never add any ground hemp to groundbait without soaking it over night. Ground/crushed hemp is very active, if I'm using GB it's to keep fish on bottom where my hook bait is. Crushed hemp rises in the water taking fish with it if it's not soaked.
    Last edited by rayner; 28-10-2017 at 10:22.

There's only one way to find out! Bangers and mash or cold kippers and custard!

Roach can be finikity and Perch have different dietary requirements but Chub, Barbel and Carp, they'd probably wolf down the cold kippers and custard if they were human.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on. After all the commercial mixes were only stumbled upon by trial and error (field testing).

Stu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast