Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Is that it or do you carry on regardless?

The clocks have gone back, we've had a few frosty mornings, it's getting colder.
    Do you hang up your fishing boots and wait until spring or do you fish on through the winter months?

Personally I love winter fishing, especially the last two months of the river season.

Default Re: Is that it or do you carry on regardless?

Carry on, but I don't do bad weather and I pick the species for the conditions.
    I certainly no longer beat my head against a wall fishing for a species that I possible "may" get a bite if I sit there long enough, life is too short (especially for the over 60s!).

If I think I shall be battling the elements and miserable out there I don't go, but a nice winter's day, frosty and bright or mild and cloudy there is usually some species that can provide reliable sport.

Blog Entries

So long as there's no ice I will pick my days regarding wind and rain I'll be out.
    It's the only time I like to use punch, so much that it's the only bait I take.
    The only other thing to prevent me would be health.

The use of other baits makes it easy to over feed, I reckon properly prepared punch feed can be fed all day and not over feed the fish, it sort of disintegrates in water.
    Commercial roach don't see fine white bread often, they can't resist.

i plan to carry on regardless save for really horrible wet and windy days which are not much fun. I am not too keen on ice fishing either!!!
    Last edited by mikench; 30-10-2017 at 09:52.

The season is just beginning proper!

Thankfully, we have yet to have a frost here this season (and the clocks don’t affect me one way or another) although the temperature has dropped a bit (8/9C degrees at night forecast for this week) in the last few days. I do enjoy my winter fishing although if, after a reasonably mild spell, you are hit by a hard frost I wouldn’t bother until the cold conditions have carried on for a few days. Then I’d be after the chub and dace first and a bit later the roach, perch and pike.

Bearing in mind that I often fish the smaller rivers, streams and back waters (which will react more rapidly to the sudden change in conditions) I would be more confident of getting a bite in the lower reach of a bigger river than the upper reaches where a sudden fall in water temperature could be the kiss of death.

If the conditions become harsh where the rivers are subject to snow/frost melt (probably deoxygenated and carrying a load of ‘sh1te’) I’d try one of the deeper pits. However, when the weather starts quickly becoming milder the smaller rivers are the place I’d be most confident of getting a bite. One thing I would stick to though is finding the fish in rivers that I know.

PS I do usually take a break for the couple of weeks either side of Christmas, whatever the weather, as we tend to do a lot of entertaining/being entertained during this period.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post

The use of other baits makes it easy to over feed, I reckon properly prepared punch feed can be fed all day and not over feed the fish, it sort of disintegrates in water.
    Commercial roach don't see fine white bread often, they can't resist.
    Any tips for the groundbait preparation? I use bread punch quite a bit, but a bit haphazard with my groundbait, do you use fresh bread through a liquidiser and use on the day or do you dry it after and use it from dried crumbs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    Any tips for the groundbait preparation? I use bread punch quite a bit, but a bit haphazard with my groundbait, do you use fresh bread through a liquidiser and use on the day or do you dry it after and use it from dried crumbs?
    Freshest bread for the hook.
    I buy the cheapest oldest bread on the shelf, generally a toaster loaf.
    I then keep it a few days before putting it in the liquidiser. After I crumb it I freeze, then in the liquidiser whilst still frozen.
    Doing it this way I get a finer crumb than just one blitz, a fine crumb is easy to feed every cast without over feeding.
    I add a bit of water to hold the crumb together.If fishing deeper than 3 feet I use gravel to get the feed down. I only use a grape size ball of feed to start then top up every cast with a smaller nugget.
    In my freezer I keep several bags, I then just top it up as I get down it.

I just carry on, it has got to be done! In winter I do pay more attention to the weather forecasts and air and water temperatures. If the water temperature is above 42F I carry on roach fishing and if it's below I fish for either pike, chub, dace or grayling.

If there is snow I think it is wiser to stay indoors because of the roads. What I really don't like is winter night fishing in the rain - then I chicken out and watch TV!

I certainly don't pack up, but, where and when to go needs a lot more thought,as I'm sure any fellow anglers nursing a few health issues will agree.

I used to find the winter sport much better than in summer, when my local rivers were the Dee, the Dane and the Weaver; the fish shoaled up and we knew where to find them. Nowadays my local river is quite prolific in summer but a mysteriously fish-free desert through winter. Still, there are plenty of other winter options, so I shouldn't complain – I read a post a few weeks back, from Ralph, I think, describing how his choices within a half-hour drive were a borderline-fishable small river and a commercial. That sounds tough!

For me, it's a case of studying the weather and the levels, feeding in calculations of wind direction and length of walk,and going for something that seems viable and not too uncomfortable, eg

Chub and grayling (crispy weather) medium-size river
    Roach in marinas or lock cuttings (mild weather/rivers up and coloured)
    Bream, roach and perch in deep lake (sheltered from cold winds; fishes reliably, even with low temperatures)
    Anything that swims (canal on mild, calm days)
    etc etc.

If all inspiration fails, in unappetising weather, I might go and fish 2pm - 4pm on a medium-size river where a peg 10 yards from the car might get you a bite or two from a chub. At least it avoids that feeling of having chickened out and wasted the day.

Even so, I can guarantee I'll end up in the wrong place more than a few times!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast