Been a busy boy --- phase 2 .

flightliner

Reaction score
Just completed my new compost--- oops -- wormery:D yesterday.
The old one finally had to be cut up and bagged for firewood (what was left of it) due to excessive rot.
Recycled scaffold boards will do me proud over the coming years as will the worms when it gets re established with rotting vegetation.
The bottom front board comes away to accommodate removal of compost.
The whole thing sits on four concrete bases by metal rods fixed beneath at the four corners to minimise decay as much as possible .

Next task is to conjure up a mobile phone charger using an empty st Bruno tobacco tin .---- watch this space :wh

flightliner

Reaction score
What's that wall it's up against Mick - Don't bridge your DPC.................
It's my garden wall Jerry, about ten foot high n two and a half bricks thick with tapered /riven four foot long yorkstone coping atop, built around the seventeen sixties and has historically legitimate connections to Thomas Grey famous for his elergy. It's a grade two listed structure.
Ps-- its' not got a dpc .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i'd put a back on the contraption and pull it away from the wall then.

john step

Reaction score
Lovely can't beat home grown worms..............for price:D

puffer_

Reaction score
It's a bit more impressive than my wormery - a 50 litre tub with some holes drilled in it :D

Nice work, mate.

theartist

Reaction score
It's a bit more impressive than my wormery - a 50 litre tub with some holes drilled in it :D

Nice work, mate.

They are just as good mate, made one at my old house just from an old wheelie bin (don't tell Harrow Council, they need them for residential lets nowadays) for composting garden waste and veg and the amount of worms it housed was just bonkers.

puffer_

Reaction score
They are just as good mate, made one at my old house just from an old wheelie bin (don't tell Harrow Council, they need them for residential lets nowadays) for composting garden waste and veg and the amount of worms it housed was just bonkers.

:D

It does seem to do well, loving the permanent stock of fresh worms as well, not even bothered buying maggots for about a month!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I used to dig worms from a bit of waste ground nearby me Rob. It had an orange clay subsoil and the worms were orange, big too, 6/9 inches and fat. Whether they ingested the clay or it scoured their skin I do not know but they were an excellent bait. I was fishing a lot of commercials and had some good carp etc on them. Whether it was the size or colour I do not know but red/orange is a feature on most fish.
So I was wondering if in a wormery it was possible to introduce a food dye or into some moss or shredded paper when they scour themselves for a day or two for them to take on a colour. I like the idea of big red worms.

Last edited: