Bloody guy fawkes

steve2

Reaction score
and all enjoyment unless it can be controlled by the state, which it very nearly is.

peterjg

Reaction score
I forgot to put cane rods, roach poles, horses and horse riders and horse boxes on my list, and yes I'm with Skippy, I'll also include double handled reels.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, the annual "they should bloody ban them" thread . . . . .

While I appreciate that some might have pets with a soft disposition I have to say that Firework Night is a time honoured celebration and one that I support and we always have a family bonfire party.

We have had the firework party more or less every year and I always inform my neighbours in advance, and in over 50 years we have never had so much as a burned finger . . . . .

As for the noise, well, I live on the edge of Salisbury plain where the Army hold all of their war games, so if you don't like loud staccato bangs and attack helicopters overhead, don't come and live here . . . . . .

The village are having the community show tonight and my local pub' are putting on a special menu so I'll be getting down there to watch, and we have out party tomorrow.

The current Laws are more than adequate in my opinion so maybe they need to be policed better before we consider changing them?

Fireworks: the law - GOV.UK

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, and there I was thinking I was the only left on here that enjoys fireworks. We have a combined hen party, stag party, fireworks party tonight.

nottskev

Reaction score
Fireworks don't do much for me, but I keep the cats in and don't object to any celebrations over a few days.

But round here there seems to be an alternative "tradition", and there will be people setting off fireworks - and they're no squibs, these days - randomly, for the next several weeks. Usually late at night, when their own little party is over.

I don't think you condemn yourself as a fun-killing puritan to find that a bit anti-social.

rayner

Reaction score
November the 5th is my daughters birthday, when she was younger we always had all the family round and there were always more fireworks than we could cope with.
That tradition stopped when she started her University degree.
Since then the noise of the overpowering explosion got more than a little grating after we got our dog, he died a couple of year ago and since then fireworks have become just a few nights of load but bearable nights.
I'm just pleased the cost of fireworks is no longer an issue for me, other gifts cost far more now. Better than the money going up in smoke.

ken more

Reaction score
So many "damp squibs" or maybe "squids" being a fishing forum:)

mikench

Reaction score
I will be off shortly to our local Round Table organised bonfire and firework display! It's a laugh and those Catholics were not the innocent victims depicted on the BBC production!;) It was very good by the way. I love bonfire night and will be having black peas, Parkin and jacket spuds tomorrow !

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fireworks would be OK if a) they banned airbombs, B) kept them to 5th November 6 to 9pm only. Absolutely no need for them last night, tonight or New Year's Eve which we English never used to celebrate with fireworks until the year 2000 which the idiots thought was the new millennium (that was 2001 as the second millennium was celebrated in 1001!).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's just started hammering down as a lot of extra loud fireworks are being set off by some knob heads....hopefully the rain will spoil their plans!

nottskev

Reaction score
= those Catholics were not the innocent victims depicted on the BBC production!;)

Hi Mike. Persecution of the estimated 40,000 Catholics of the day ( about 1% of the population) banned from practising their religion was certainly a fact. The fictional Lady Dorothy Dibdale in the drama was based on a lady from York - Margaret Cltherow- executed by crushing under Elizabeth 1 ( oo er madam) in 1586. From 1585 on, a Catholic priest, and anyone hosting one, stood to be executed. The drama did convey something of the moral complexity of the time- Catesby witnesses atrocities carried out by the catholic Spanish state against its own population, and the use of torture by the English gov't raises some issues.

Enjoy your bonfire and tight lines!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
And a bloody super moon!... what a night to be out fishing:eek:mg:

gordond

Reaction score
5th November celebrates the last time an honest man entered the houses of parliament... or an attack on parlimentary democracy as outrageous as the recent great repeal bill.. . depending on your point of view.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Kev! I accept what you say and my point was that those persecuted in one location/ period frequently are the persecutors in another ! Why do we really celebrate Guy Fawkes? I haven't seen a penny for the guy appeal for years and years. I raised many a penny as a kid to buy bangers and Roman candles but then the term political correctness had not been invented!

Black peas with vinegar ce soir ! One has to keep up traditions!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why do we really celebrate Guy Fawkes?

Technically, it's the foiling of the gunpowder plot, and the saving of the King, that is celebrated rather than Guy Fawkes. Guy Fawkes simply became the focus because he was the conspirator that was actually caught red handed in the vaults of the House of Lords. The burning of an effigy of Fawkes gives a reasonable clue to it hardly being a celebration of the man himself. Fawkes wasn't even the ringleader of the plot though, that was Robert Catesby. Observance of the celebration was actually enshrined in law until it was repealed in 1859. Essentially, it was a state sponsored celebration of King James I being saved from an attempt on his life, with added dollops of anti-Catholic propaganda thrown in.

terry m

Reaction score
Ah, the annual "they should bloody ban them" thread . . . . .

While I appreciate that some might have pets with a soft disposition I have to say that Firework Night is a time honoured celebration and one that I support and we always have a family bonfire party.

We have had the firework party more or less every year and I always inform my neighbours in advance, and in over 50 years we have never had so much as a burned finger . . . . .

As for the noise, well, I live on the edge of Salisbury plain where the Army hold all of their war games, so if you don't like loud staccato bangs and attack helicopters overhead, don't come and live here . . . . . .

The village are having the community show tonight and my local pub' are putting on a special menu so I'll be getting down there to watch, and we have out party tomorrow.

The current Laws are more than adequate in my opinion so maybe they need to be policed better before we consider changing them?

Fireworks: the law - GOV.UK

Peter, I see that a display at the Antrobus Arms in your part of the world went awry yesterday and made the national news.

I hope nobody was seriously hurt.