Rudd, a comeback?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Noticed that Rudd are cropping up more regularly in catch reports recently. This year I've caught two both over the half pound mark from a pool I fish in Wales where there have been no reported catches in around three years. I've also had a few from the Salwarpe this year yet none in the previous five years I've fished it. Has anyone else seen an increase in numbers of Rudd caught from locations where they were rare or never taken?

B

binka

Yes I agree.

I had a small one from the Trent a few weeks ago and a mate nobbled a good one from the same stretch on feeder and a 10mm halibut pellet, of all things.

I know of a couple of waters which have stocked them too and they're nice to see around again, the variation between the silver and golden Rudd is quite staggering but both are a very pretty fish imo.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Without doubt the highlight of my Summer has been buying a whip (whips actually) and discovering a water stuffed with nice Rudd. Roll on next Summer and my first two pound Rudd.

QcyRUti.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Are rudd making a comeback or is it the style of fishing thats more likely to tempt them making a comeback ? It seems to me that after many years of neglect the smaller species are getting a lot more attention and that is creating a few surprises.

Just a thought. I've had a few good rudd this year which have only turned up because of the way I've been fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the Rudd in the lake I fish gorge themselves on carp bait that gets piled in on a daily basis.

peterjg

Reaction score
What fantastic fish Rudd are. I have never caught a big rudd, I do envy S63. Next year I will have a go for them, great looking fish.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The small rudd I have caught are silver and the bigger ones 2lbish are bronze, are they the same species or some sort of sub species?
Those big bronzed rudd are the absolute dogs *******s, the Angelina Jollies of fish; actually I might even pass her by for a pool of them; well, maybe not but I would have to stop and think for a second or two.
Now, a commercial stuffed with them only, wouldn't that be something.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The small rudd I have caught are silver and the bigger ones 2lbish are bronze, are they the same species or some sort of sub species?
Those big bronzed rudd are the absolute dogs *******s, the Angelina Jollies of fish; actually I might even pass her by for a pool of them; well, maybe not but I would have to stop and think for a second or two.
Now, a commercial stuffed with them only, wouldn't that be something.

If you could travel to Stonar near Sandwich it's almost worth joining the CDAA for the Rudd in that lake alone. There is also another big pit near Cliffe with even bigger 3lb specimens, maybe a syndicate nowadays though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It has been years since I last caught a Rudd and even longer since I last caught a big Rudd.

I tend to agree with S-Kippy though inasmuch as it is the more popular type of fishing or the method that is responsible for more Rudd being caught.

I must make a point of targeting them more next season as they are a lovely fish . . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score

I believe that the golden rudd was originally bred as an ornamental pond fish but has since been introduced to some fisheries where it breeds with the common rudd.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has been years since I last caught a Rudd and even longer since I last caught a big Rudd.

I tend to agree with S-Kippy though inasmuch as it is the more popular type of fishing or the method that is responsible for more Rudd being caught.

I must make a point of targeting them more next season as they are a lovely fish . . . .

They compensate nicely for a lack of Crucians in my area.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you could travel to Stonar near Sandwich it's almost worth joining the CDAA for the Rudd in that lake alone. There is also another big pit near Cliffe with even bigger 3lb specimens, maybe a syndicate nowadays though.

I used to live near Sandwich and I know Stonar lake although I never fished it. I have seen the pics you have done on the HDYGO thread and looks a very good venue and rudd are indeed a lovely fish. I have always enjoyed catching them. i have caught some very good rudd at Ham St on the royal military canal, probably too far for you and its only a summer worth fishing place but could give you a day out one summer.
There were a lot of gravel pits around Canterbury, who or what they belong to I don't know but a recce on a ordinance map and a bit of delving and investigating might be worth your while, I have seen some of these from the road and expect some large rudd could be in them and other stuff as well. There was a lake called griffen lake near Chillham which I believe belongs to a club now but that was good and a lot of old gravel pits between Chillham and Canterbury

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I believe that the golden rudd was originally bred as an ornamental pond fish but has since been introduced to some fisheries where it breeds with the common rudd.
I have never been sure, I always thought it was just the colour they took on as they got older and bigger. I suspect the ones I have caught because they are sometimes very dark as being golden rudd hybrids as you suggest, I never knew they were a specific species, thinking it was just a term used.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've generally found golden rudd to be more coppery than a big well coloured true rudd. They look more similar in colour to golden orfe. They also tend to have quite silvery bellies and sometimes a few dark spots and flecks in the more coloured patches, particularly across the back.
Pic clicky.
Pic clicky 2

I'd suggest that the fish in s63s pic is a true rudd, just a magnificently coloured one. In my experience, fish with such vivid colouration invariably come from clear stillwaters.

As for rudd making a comeback, I doubt it. They've always been about, but an awful lot of folks pay them very little attention. There are some absolute beauties in the likes of Horseshoe and Linear, but barely anyone bothers to target them.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Golden rudd, normal rudd and the other type, yellow-fin rudd (very rare), are all just varieties of ONE species - rudd. When ordinary rudd breed perhaps one in a thousand is a golden rudd but select out the golden rudd to breed and within a few generations you'll get mostly golden rudd.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another from the same lake, smaller and younger, still some colour to come.

OQd25ee.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
Grayling are lovely fish, & wild Brown Trout can be awesome in their colours but I think a big Golden Rudd with blood red fins has to be one of the most spectacular sights in British freshwater.

A very underrated fish in my opinion. Its always been in the Roach's sort of shadow but I recon looks wise it knocks the spots of them.

As for a comeback..I dont know. What I have noticed down the years is that certain waters go through periods of having them then there will be a lull again. Elstow was a good example.

"Make hay while the sun shines" ...a very appropriate phrase with regards to Rudd I would say.