Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rudd, a comeback?

Noticed that Rudd are cropping up more regularly in catch reports recently. This year I've caught two both over the half pound mark from a pool I fish in Wales where there have been no reported catches in around three years. I've also had a few from the Salwarpe this year yet none in the previous five years I've fished it. Has anyone else seen an increase in numbers of Rudd caught from locations where they were rare or never taken?
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

binka Guest

Default Re: Rudd, a comeback?

Yes I agree.

I had a small one from the Trent a few weeks ago and a mate nobbled a good one from the same stretch on feeder and a 10mm halibut pellet, of all things.

I know of a couple of waters which have stocked them too and they're nice to see around again, the variation between the silver and golden Rudd is quite staggering but both are a very pretty fish imo.

Without doubt the highlight of my Summer has been buying a whip (whips actually) and discovering a water stuffed with nice Rudd. Roll on next Summer and my first two pound Rudd.

There is a good head of decent Rudd in my local canal Very Good Size as well .

PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Are rudd making a comeback or is it the style of fishing thats more likely to tempt them making a comeback ? It seems to me that after many years of neglect the smaller species are getting a lot more attention and that is creating a few surprises.

Just a thought. I've had a few good rudd this year which have only turned up because of the way I've been fishing.

I think the Rudd in the lake I fish gorge themselves on carp bait that gets piled in on a daily basis.

What fantastic fish Rudd are. I have never caught a big rudd, I do envy S63. Next year I will have a go for them, great looking fish.

The small rudd I have caught are silver and the bigger ones 2lbish are bronze, are they the same species or some sort of sub species?
    Those big bronzed rudd are the absolute dogs *******s, the Angelina Jollies of fish; actually I might even pass her by for a pool of them; well, maybe not but I would have to stop and think for a second or two.
    Now, a commercial stuffed with them only, wouldn't that be something.
    Last edited by markg; 05-11-2017 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    The small rudd I have caught are silver and the bigger ones 2lbish are bronze, are they the same species or some sort of sub species?
    Those big bronzed rudd are the absolute dogs *******s, the Angelina Jollies of fish; actually I might even pass her by for a pool of them; well, maybe not but I would have to stop and think for a second or two.
    Now, a commercial stuffed with them only, wouldn't that be something.
    If you could travel to Stonar near Sandwich it's almost worth joining the CDAA for the Rudd in that lake alone. There is also another big pit near Cliffe with even bigger 3lb specimens, maybe a syndicate nowadays though.

Blog Entries

It has been years since I last caught a Rudd and even longer since I last caught a big Rudd.

I tend to agree with S-Kippy though inasmuch as it is the more popular type of fishing or the method that is responsible for more Rudd being caught.

I must make a point of targeting them more next season as they are a lovely fish . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast