Winter chub query

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Went for a strol down local river and noticed alot of the chub looking hiding spots like overhanging trees bushes or deep holes are on the other bank which is around 30ft min away on backwater bit.

Question if roving and baiting a few swims how do you get bait like liki bread , hemp small pellets over there?

But if go on the main part of river it's fairly wide is it best to fish near side in slack water or try to get over by overhanging trees etc

Also if there it hardly no flow on the wider section of river do i just fish where there is cover for them or in main part of the river .

Sorry for the questions my chub fishing is a bit limited . But have caught them on slack water on the Severn in past but not on smaller or low flow rivers
Cheers

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
The beauty of roving is being able to try out all the spots that look good and finding out where the fish are. Best way of learning about a water and the most satisfying

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The beauty of roving is being able to try out all the spots that look good and finding out where the fish are. Best way of learning about a water and the most satisfying
That's the idea dave . But one thing puzles me about baiting how to get it across to far bank or am I thinking to fish too far and should find swim with overhead cover and slower water on near side bank ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

davebhoy

Reaction score
If a catapult won’t get it there you could just use a feeder instead of a lead. I’m not sure how helpful baiting up an area under a tree is anyway, in my limited experience if they’re there and hungry they’ll take a well-positioned tasty big bait.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If a catapult won’t get it there you could just use a feeder instead of a lead. I’m not sure how helpful baiting up an area under a tree is anyway, in my limited experience if they’re there and hungry they’ll take a well-positioned tasty big bait.
Was not thinking direct under a tree but upstream of it . I was thinking a mini spod but thinking a feeder would get onto the deck .

laguna

Reaction score
30ft away to the far bank? That distance calls for a ball of groundbait made up with bread/cheese paste and hemp etc. that doesn't break up mid air as you chuck it across. I wouldn't be looking to fish the far bank after a big splash though, not where chub are concerned. I'd walk and pre-bait some likely looking swims then return to fish after at least 1/2 hour to an hour afterwards. You can mark exactly where you've put bait with sticks laid on the ground pointing to features, so you know exactly where to cast - which would be a good way upstream if trotting and well past and holding back, and a good bit below if ledgering. In slack water you could aim for roughl where you put the bait in.
The only sure way I know to get baits thrown in intact at distance is with PONDPOND, though you could try make up a stiff paste ball on the bank if you can manage it. As long as it breaks down that is.

Good luck.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Think il have a go with a mesh feeder initially and see how I get on

jasonbean1

Reaction score
30ft to the far bank is not very far away...10 mteres which you should be able to catapult any bait across to.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
30ft to the far bank is not very far away...10 mteres which you should be able to catapult any bait across to.
Perhaps not the hemp unless mix with something to act as groubdbait . But where on main river section it's at least double that . It's a pretty featureless section as the environment agency has removed trees and bushes in last 10 years

jasonbean1

Reaction score
this time of year far bank fishing is best done with a maggot feeder and build the swim up by actually sitting there and casting regularly,

associatedmatt

Reaction score
this time of year far bank fishing is best done with a maggot feeder and build the swim up by actually sitting there and casting regularly,
Only maggot feeders I got are inline free running ones , would you still use a long tail ?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I would go with a short hook length around 10" and possibly shorter if you miss bites

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have found a free-lined lump of cheddar about a sq inch with a well loaded up fixed spool reel will cast a long way; I have done 50-70 yds maybe. Cast to the far bank just up stream of the trees and pay out line as soon as it hits the water and it might just trundle along under the trees and the chub; and they love a lump of cheddar. And a few lumps could be chucked under the tress just to get a bit of interest going pre-cast, shouldn't be difficult to chuck them that far but I wouldn't bother too much, if the chub are there and hungry, they will snap up your single hook bait soon enough.
Just one thing, if you feel the line tightening don't strike right away, pay out a bit of slack and give it 10 secs and then strike' otherwise you might just be pulling it out of their lips.
Depending on the flow and snags etc you could eventually let the cheese ark across the river to the near bank and search out quite a bit of river this way. I don't know because I don't know what your fishing but I might be tempted to try this if it look feasible and it suits roving, no feeder to fill or anything, just wander and chuck at will apart from re baiting when necessary. And no bait boxes, bags of ground-bait etc to carry, just 2 or 3 packs of supermarket cheddar.in the pocket and a knife.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks a great idea only good in main river thames if flowing as it not a fast flowing river

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Presumably wading is out of the question? This swim is effectively out of range from both banks in the current conditions but a bit of a paddle opens up all the bankside overhangs and the chub that live their!

20171020_140427.jpg

Catapult is my default feed method but there again I rarely groundbait for chub on my local rivers. That, maybe in conjunction with a maggot feeder, would be my next option. The "infamous" Black Cap with insanely short hooklength would be my choice:

Ian-_Welch-_Chub_Feeder_Rig_5.jpg

Then occasionally there are some situations on my local rivers where I take a pole and cupping kit along, probably maximum of 12mts/13mtrs, and use it purely for accurate loose feeding.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Presumably wading is out of the question? This swim is effectively out of range from both banks in the current conditions but a bit of a paddle opens up all the bankside overhangs and the chub that live their!

20171020_140427.jpg

Catapult is my default feed method but there again I rarely groundbait for chub on my local rivers. That, maybe in conjunction with a maggot feeder, would be my next option. The "infamous" Black Cap with insanely short hooklength would be my choice:

Ian-_Welch-_Chub_Feeder_Rig_5.jpg

Then occasionally there are some situations on my local rivers where I take a pole and cupping kit along, probably maximum of 12mts/13mtrs, and use it purely for accurate loose feeding.
What's the purpose of the plug in the feeder ?

Wading is against club rules and boats but if not a member can go with a canoe but fishibg from banks is then classed as poaching !

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
What's the purpose of the plug in the feeder ?

Wading is against club rules and boats but if not a member can go with a canoe but fishibg from banks is then classed as poaching !

This general method has been around for many years and is designed to counter/take advantage of chub picking up the feeder. A phenomenon well known down on the Dorset Stour and many other venues. A few commercial versions are available, on the rare occasion I might use one, I'll strap on a Korum Grub Feeder :)

korum.jpg

The aim is to consistently and accurately introduce maggot feed that will induce the chub to feed competitively and in the process loose any wariness. Highly effective in the right hands and will often have them picking up the feeder &/or taking it on the drop. Not for the faint hearted!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
This general method has been around for many years and is designed to counter/take advantage of chub picking up the feeder. A phenomenon well known down on the Dorset Stour and many other venues. A few commercial versions are available, on the rare occasion I might use one, I'll strap on a Korum Grub Feeder :)

korum.jpg

The aim is to consistently and accurately introduce maggot feed that will induce the chub to feed competitively and in the process loose any wariness. Highly effective in the right hands and will often have them picking up the feeder &/or taking it on the drop. Not for the faint hearted!
Yes I see now. The korum feeders is what I have .

May I ask why not for faint hearted ?