Discarded plastic - again!

laguna

Reaction score
We all have a responsibility of care towards other creatures on this planet, and although most anglers care, a lot just don't care enough about the consequences of discarding plastic waste!

But its not not just a few bad anglers is it?

nintchdbpict000363764361.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/48067...-ring-after-getting-snared-in-canadian-river/

steve2

Reaction score
We all go on about plastic waste but how do you dispose of plastic in an environmentally friendly way.
Lagura how much of packaging you use is environmentally friendly. All those little plastic bottles must end up somewhere even if disposed of correctly.

thecrow

Reaction score
We all go on about plastic waste but how do you dispose of plastic in an environmentally friendly way.
Lagura how much of packaging you use is environmentally friendly. All those little plastic bottles must end up somewhere even if disposed of correctly.

Recycling of plastics is big business but it needs to firstly set aside correctly for that to happen and that's the problem lots don't do it preferring to just discard it.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Recycling of plastics is big business but it needs to firstly set aside correctly for that to happen and that's the problem lots don't do it preferring to just discard it.

There is one way .

Put a deposit refundable on return of empty bottle but make the deposit worthwhile ie not 5p but maybe 10 times that .

I am no fan of plastic at all hate the stuff but for the fact that it has wevelled its way into our lives whilst a lot of it is easy to replace with paper and glass other stuff wil take a lot more work but it is a goal that woild be nice to see plastic much reduced .

PG ...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This is a survey/petition about plastic bottles, included in it is a question about refunds, how much they should be etc and a lot more. Its quite a good survey-takes 2 or 3 mins...

Plastic bottle deposit survey

It is conducted by 38 degrees.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
There is one way .

Put a deposit refundable on return of empty bottle but make the deposit worthwhile ie not 5p but maybe 10 times that .

I am no fan of plastic at all hate the stuff but for the fact that it has wevelled its way into our lives whilst a lot of it is easy to replace with paper and glass other stuff wil take a lot more work but it is a goal that woild be nice to see plastic much reduced .

PG ...

Yep 50p on a bottle would see kids collecting them up to return them for the 50p as I did with pop bottles when I was a kid, they were worth 2d :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yep 50p on a bottle would see kids collecting them up to return them for the 50p as I did with pop bottles when I was a kid, they were worth 2d :)

Yep likewise you did not leave a Masons or Corona bottle down else i had it away and up the shop well worth it at times . Brought enough rocks to give you tooth rot for months at times with the proceedes .

PG ...

laguna

Reaction score
Well something needs to be done to reduce the huge amount of plastic waste. I'd say the responsibility lies with both the manufacturer and the end consumer in reducing the amount that goes to landfill. 5 million tons are consumed in the UK alone and only 24% gets recycled. Recycling only goes so far as a lot of what we consume is too expensive to recycle, especially composite materials.
China may have part of the answer, in that businesses sell their waste to waste traders (usually to self employed street urchins eking a living from rubbish), who then sell it on to manufacturers in exchange for a yuan or two. If we did that as we once did with glass bottle deposits, we can certainly recycle more, but as it is plastic has little value once its used by the consumer. But I think the future lies in biodegradable's which would suit composites in-particular as they would then enable separation into usable materials.
Ironically one of the most environmentally friendly plastic material is now much rarer these days... except in use for wrapping bunches of flowers, sweets and toffee apples - cellophane.

The other aspect is perception of value from a consumers point of view, exploited by the manufacturers - posh packaging!

tonya

Reaction score
What annoys me even more is when the packaging on a product is labelled "not yet recyclable" . Why the F not!!

browndog

Reaction score
Surely all packaging should be made of a certain percentage of recycled material.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
While not wishing to diminish any of the content above it should be noted that the 10 worst rivers responsible for the vast majority of plastic in our oceans are all in, China, India, Vietnam, Cambodia and former Burma countries.
By comparison these rivers allegedly account for close to 80% of the problem.

It follows, logically, that whatever the West can do will not affect the total much at all.

That is not to say we should do nothing but simply recognise where the problem originates from.

laguna

Reaction score
From man to river to sea, our seas have become a plastic graveyard. About 90% of rubbish is plastic. The highest concentration of plastics can be found in the North Atlantic garbage patch, which receives most of its content from the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Europe. Remember the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 plane search? There it was discovered huge swirls of plastic seen floating on the surface in the southern hemisphere along with what turned out to be discarded fishing equipment, cargo container parts an entangled plastic shopping bags. Around New Zealand and Australia its become a huge rubbish dump plus accumulating unseen plastic waste at the bottom of the ocean. Its not restricted to the southern hemisphere; most oceans have 'Garbage Patch zones'. The Pacific and Atlantic Oceans have two patches each, north and south. The Indian Ocean's garbage patch is centered roughly halfway between Africa and Australia.

I mentioned the idea of biodegradable's above in my original post, but what might also prove beneficial to our seas are plastics that decompose in the presence of salt? I'm sure this is not an original idea, but at least we know where most of it ends up - so for the sake of our planet, we should at least start thinking along such lines.

Hell, there might even be some money to be made of the clean-up...