Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Discarded plastic - again!

We all have a responsibility of care towards other creatures on this planet, and although most anglers care, a lot just don't care enough about the consequences of discarding plastic waste!

But its not not just a few bad anglers is it?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/480676...anadian-river/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Discarded plastic - again!

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    But its not not just a few bad anglers is it?
    No its everybody that buts anything packed in plastic me included but the difference is some don't just discard it out of site out of mind.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    No its everybody that buts anything packed in plastic me included but the difference is some don't just discard it out of site out of mind.
    Out of sight out of mind perhaps Graham. Some I'd argue have to mind to care!!

We all go on about plastic waste but how do you dispose of plastic in an environmentally friendly way.
    Lagura how much of packaging you use is environmentally friendly. All those little plastic bottles must end up somewhere even if disposed of correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    We all go on about plastic waste but how do you dispose of plastic in an environmentally friendly way.
    Lagura how much of packaging you use is environmentally friendly. All those little plastic bottles must end up somewhere even if disposed of correctly.
    Recycling of plastics is big business but it needs to firstly set aside correctly for that to happen and that's the problem lots don't do it preferring to just discard it.

Recycling of plastics is big business but it needs to firstly set aside correctly for that to happen and that's the problem lots don't do it preferring to just discard it.
    There is one way .

Put a deposit refundable on return of empty bottle but make the deposit worthwhile ie not 5p but maybe 10 times that .

I am no fan of plastic at all hate the stuff but for the fact that it has wevelled its way into our lives whilst a lot of it is easy to replace with paper and glass other stuff wil take a lot more work but it is a goal that woild be nice to see plastic much reduced .

PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

This is a survey/petition about plastic bottles, included in it is a question about refunds, how much they should be etc and a lot more. Its quite a good survey-takes 2 or 3 mins...

Plastic bottle deposit survey

It is conducted by 38 degrees.
    Last edited by markg; 08-11-2017 at 10:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maggot_dangler View Post
    There is one way .

Put a deposit refundable on return of empty bottle but make the deposit worthwhile ie not 5p but maybe 10 times that .

I am no fan of plastic at all hate the stuff but for the fact that it has wevelled its way into our lives whilst a lot of it is easy to replace with paper and glass other stuff wil take a lot more work but it is a goal that woild be nice to see plastic much reduced .

PG ...
    Yep 50p on a bottle would see kids collecting them up to return them for the 50p as I did with pop bottles when I was a kid, they were worth 2d

Yep 50p on a bottle would see kids collecting them up to return them for the 50p as I did with pop bottles when I was a kid, they were worth 2d
    Yep likewise you did not leave a Masons or Corona bottle down else i had it away and up the shop well worth it at times . Brought enough rocks to give you tooth rot for months at times with the proceedes .

PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

Well something needs to be done to reduce the huge amount of plastic waste. I'd say the responsibility lies with both the manufacturer and the end consumer in reducing the amount that goes to landfill. 5 million tons are consumed in the UK alone and only 24% gets recycled. Recycling only goes so far as a lot of what we consume is too expensive to recycle, especially composite materials.
    China may have part of the answer, in that businesses sell their waste to waste traders (usually to self employed street urchins eking a living from rubbish), who then sell it on to manufacturers in exchange for a yuan or two. If we did that as we once did with glass bottle deposits, we can certainly recycle more, but as it is plastic has little value once its used by the consumer. But I think the future lies in biodegradable's which would suit composites in-particular as they would then enable separation into usable materials.
    Ironically one of the most environmentally friendly plastic material is now much rarer these days... except in use for wrapping bunches of flowers, sweets and toffee apples - cellophane.

The other aspect is perception of value from a consumers point of view, exploited by the manufacturers - posh packaging!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast