Head torch recommends

john step

Reaction score
Flight, the one I recommended in the post has a red light for baiting and doesn't spoil night sight.

Mike, the red light is good for collecting lobs without warning them.

Skippy. If I pack up in the dark I need to have a look around with a torch to make sure I have left nothing and I certainly need to find my way back along the Trent without falling in. Pitch black up here away from the chuffin M25:D

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry John !:rolleyes:

An Essex Girl enters a sex shop and asks for a vibrator. The man says "Choose from our range on the wall." She says "I"ll take the red one." The man replies "That"s a fire extinguisher."

seth49

Reaction score
When Aldi sell there fishing tackle, there’s usually some caps with built in lights there,

The batteries are the round flat ones , which you can pick up in the pound shops.
So cheap enough.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Skippy. If I pack up in the dark I need to have a look around with a torch to make sure I have left nothing and I certainly need to find my way back along the Trent without falling in. Pitch black up here away from the chuffin M25:D

Quite. I've no problem with that at all, John. What I take issue with is the goons that have them on permanently shining all over the place and in everybodies eyes. Its just not necessary as well as being bloody bad manners......and don't get me started on carpers lamping the island they are trying to cast to. These are the same types that cannot leave a bait in the water longer than 5 minutes, cannot sit still, are constantly fiddling with their alarms ( that are set on max volume) and shout at their mates who are 10 feet away.

Back on topic.....I've tried several caps with Leds in...the Panthervision one is by far the best IMO. Not cheap bought from them but I picked mine up in Homebase of all places at half the price with 4 batteries included. It's exactly the same cap. One of the best tenners ive ever spent.

john step

Reaction score
Quite. I've no problem with that at all, John. What I take issue with is the goons that have them on permanently shining all over the place and in everybodies eyes. Its just not necessary as well as being bloody bad manners.

Wow! Fortunately I must lead a sheltered life up here and don't see this kind of behaviour. It may be that I only fish club lakes and remote river stretches.

I don't think I could frequent places where that sort of things happen.

naxian62

Reaction score
Lovin' the banter on this thread,
Must give a mention to the Black Diamond headtorch I've had for a coupla years now. Quality bit o' kit.

shane99

Reaction score
Like others I need to check I haven't left anything behind, but I do use the red whenever possible for close work.

The bad one

Reaction score
Went shopping yesterday with the wife……long story…..we did a tour of the pound shops. That aren’t pound shops any more, more like, we sell some stuff for a pound, but most is over a pound now. Gotcha!

Anyway on this around a pound adventure, we went into B&Ms. Defo not a pound shop, but cheapo job and they had Eveready head lamps in, which states on the packet Exclusive to B&MS at £3 99 so I bought one.
Now I have according to my wife, a bit of an obsession with torches. Of course this notion is rubbish, a man need torches as many as he can have. It’s normal, it’s what we do, a torch of differing strengths for each and every job we do. They, women, don’t knit with just one pair of needles do they? No the have needle bags full all over the house, so yes “normal” for a man to have a torch for every job….RIGHT!
The head torch is the new generation of LED lighting, that’s the ones that appear with a squire yellow element with a central white dot when not turned on. Described as COB technology, whatever that means? This HT has the same type, but it’s an inch long yellow strip LED and is rated at 3 watt illumination. Bright but not to bright! I have others HT, 3, rated at 10 watt and they are bright and will illuminate objects very clearly at 100+ yards away.

The new HT has 3 settings, full beam half, beam and flashing but no red light. I had a play with it last night when it went dark and it’s very good and would suit those who don’t like really bright directional HT lights. It has a more wide angle short range illumination. And at the price a really good buy indeed!

Might just be going back for a couple more for those different torches for different jobs :D:D:D

The bad one

Reaction score
Just checked what COB technology is and it stands for Chip on a Board. And it would appear the other way round to what I described Yellow dot on white background not white dot on a yellow background.
Linky thing what is COB LED chips on board

mikench

Reaction score
You are right about torches Phil! :) I have several Cree models bought from China at little cost which are brilliant. I have several in the house, just in case, a couple in each car, just in case and one in the pocket of every outdoor coat I wear , just in case!:rolleyes:

My maglites are now too heavy and not as good but potentially useful as a cosh, just in case!;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reckon you merit a nickname Mike, are you old enough to remember this chap?

41Pqe6C.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I certainly am John which is why I cannot remember him!:rolleyes: Was he called Torchy?

I also have one of those 10,000 candlelight hobbies which is brilliant for picking out owls in the trees at night !

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I certainly am John which is why I cannot remember him!:rolleyes: Was he called Torchy?

I also have one of those 10,000 candlelight hobbies which is brilliant for picking out owls in the trees at night !

You're right, Torchy the Battery Boy. Surprised it didn't frighten the living daylights out of us as young children, looks like the forerunner to Chucky!

mikench

Reaction score
It does ! There is a laughing clown in Blackpool pleasure beach which frightened me to death as a kid. I am still not keen but I can say the same about Blackpool!;)

Artie

Reaction score
Its Petzl for me they are brillant,(forgive the pun) had mine four years & bought my Grandson one a couple of years ago, no issues, cost depends on features so its a matter of deciding levels & options of luminosty, a red light can sometimes be usefull.