No telescopic rods

steve2

Reaction score
There are some really stupid rules on some waters private or club what surprises me is that many club members never ever question why they are in place. I started a big club forum row when others also wanted to know why a certain rule that restricted lure fishing was in place. Basically the carp anglers didn’t want lure anglers disturbing what they saw as their fishing.

As far as telescopic rod rules go any rods can be used for poaching and are.

Anglers are already judged by their fishing tackle try fishing a carp lake and not have matching setups you are classed as a noddy or worse.

john step

Reaction score
Strewth, I am really worried now, I use a telescopic rod; I didn't realize it was stereotyping me into the oik class, a thiever of fishes, a poor angler, a no good nerdowell and an illegal immigrant. Judging a man by his rod, whatever next!

I too have tele rods for holiday use. Its a shame but the fishery obviously feels it has to do something about a problem.
It may or may not be the way to deal with a perceived problem but no none can deny there have been problems, well documented problems.

I got my first ever dislike this post from another poster for stating that we all know who its aimed at.

Shame that its always others who suffer for the sins of a few. But I re state what I said.
We know who its probably aimed at. POACHERS.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I too have tele rods for holiday use. Its a shame but the fishery obviously feels it has to do something about a problem.
It may or may not be the way to deal with a perceived problem but no none can deny there have been problems, well documented problems.

I got my first ever dislike this post from another poster for stating that we all know who its aimed at.

Shame that its always others who suffer for the sins of a few. But I re state what I said.
We know who its probably aimed at. POACHERS.

I wasn't joining in the anti immigrant thing John, just found it slightly amusing all the things carrying a telescopic rod might imply. I will carry on using mine, I wouldn't want to fish the kind of place that bans them anyway.

And apart from anything else, last month I caught up with a story about a immigrant family from Africa which two friends of mine, brothers; helped get settled about 10 years ago in Glasgow of all places; a mother and two children, the father had already been killed. The two children are both now at university and speak with Glasgow accents, one is training to be a sports coach and the other a doctor. They would have all been dead by now if my friends had not helped them. Nothing related to illegal fishing I know and I hope not too political but just saying there is always the other side of the coin and I love the story; triumph over adversity...

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
As I have posted before there are different types of poacher, this rule is obviously aimed at one type but one has to wonder why the fishery felt the need to have such a rule, could it have been through experiences with the type of poacher the rule is aimed at? I cannot believe that it is a rule that was just randomly thought up for no reason.

Maybe if this country wasn't so massively PC and afraid of upsetting someone owners of fisheries would be allowed to decide who can and cannot fish their waters themselves and not have to resort to this type of rule to try to keep a certain group off their waters!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I have posted before there are different types of poacher, this rule is obviously aimed at one type but one has to wonder why the fishery felt the need to have such a rule, could it have been through experiences with the type of poacher the rule is aimed at? I cannot believe that it is a rule that was just randomly thought up for no reason.

Maybe if this country wasn't so massively PC and afraid of upsetting someone owners of fisheries would be allowed to decide who can and cannot fish their waters themselves and not have to resort to this type of rule to try to keep a certain group off their waters!

One of my local day ticket waters isn't afraid of the PC brigade, they have posted rules onsite in several different languages, all Eastern European as it happens.

Hasnt stopped the poaching though.:(

thecrow

Reaction score
One of my local day ticket waters isn't afraid of the PC brigade, they have posted rules onsite in several different languages, all Eastern European as it happens.

Hasnt stopped the poaching though.:(

I believe that signs such as the ones you mention were available from the Angling Trust although I am not sure, It is illegal to ban certain minorities as a whole from a fishery due to all the PC rubbish spouted in this country.

Iirc there was a fishery owner in Warwickshire that was fed up of his fish going missing who erected a sign banning all eastern Europeans from his waters, after complaints of racism he was investigated by the police although I don't think any charges were brought. Its this type of PC claptrap that annoys me, he owned the water yet was not allowed to decide who he would allow onto the water, maybe the rule about telescopic rods is an attempt to get round this even though it could affect some of those that use them that are not part of the group the rule is possibly aimed at.

Its just another case of the law affecting those that use telescopic rods and practice catch and return, maybe this from Mr Bumble applies :)

"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass — a idiot.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although I've not named the fishery I'd like to make it clear the signs I referred to were just general rules, nothing to do with the banning of anybody.

Like I say, poachers will poach unless there is a decent enough lawful deterrent to make them think twice.

I cannot see the banning of a telescopic rod would have any effect at all, just turn up with a 7ft two section rod!

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Its funny, i came into fishing as a very accepting person but after encounter after encounter with poachers I find myself getting mad at certain anglers. I have personally had a very scary encounter with some poachers. I was fishing an obscure location and as i arrived on site there were two poachers with a gillnet and rubber dingy.. They were cutting a big pike out of their net and setting up their boat in order to reset the net. when i approached they started shouting and waving a knife about, at this point fight or flight kicked in and as i couldn't flee, i fought. Long story short I know have a 30ft gill net and a rubber dingy + mr pike lived another day. Anyway I realized I started developing hate towards a certain race of anglers.. I found myself asking questions like "are you going to eat the fish" every time i bumped into someone so I decided to make an effort to judge people by what gear they have with them. No net and no landing mat normally means poachers. HOWEVER I myself use telescopic and 4 piece rods as i walk and cycle everywhere. I would be crushed if i turned up somewhere and they told me i couldnt fish because my rods are shitty telescopic things. Link to pictures of pike and net: rescued pike and the gill net. - Album on Imgur

Last edited:

tomino2112

Reaction score
Where do I even start with this thread... Actually I wont, same people blubbering same racist stuff - no point.

Instead on the topic. I have seen not only once anglers actually snap their telescopic rods and usually they are the cheap combos from Decathlon. Those rods have zero action in them and are popular with non-skilled anglers. It usually results in lucky hookup of 15lb carp, rod snapping and eventually out of frustration or fear ending up in the water with the fish still attached.
After asking around this happens far too often on commercials as those are the places you are almost sure to catch something, hence the rule.
Obviously cannot speak for every fishery.

daniel121

Reaction score
Ralph,

There are a lot of silly rules at fisheries,it's a pet hate of mine. I'm sure you have read my rants of this over time. However it's important to remember it's their fishery to do what they wish if they want to turn it into a tackle tarts showroom let em. Plenty of good fisheries without going to one's which spoil your enjoyment with silly rules.

I think Sam Vines nailed this on the first page, it's got to be stereotype snobbery, I'm adding the snobbery but because that's how I personally see it

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have a carp telescopic rod which I bought for £20 in a second hand shop, it had a nice looking reel full of line as well so i thought for £20 why not. I have only really used it for close in sea fishing. A couple of the rings have come loose so I superglued them back in place. The reel handle snapped of once as well so I had to pack up fishing. I glued it back on by winding loads of fishing line round it and layers of super glue which surprised me seems to have worked so far. Still use it, maybe when it completely falls apart I will give it up but I like the convenience of it and despite looking like a walking scrap yard its handy for a bit of float fishing for mullet and mackerel etc but I don't think its for Redmire.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Where do I even start with this thread... Actually I wont, same people blubbering same racist stuff - no point.

I can't find that. The nearest I can find is reference to signs in different languages by the Angling Trust. It is not too unreasonable considering there have been problems.
I saw 3 lads who turned up at a day ticket water nr. Home Pierpoint with tele rods, no landing net, barbed hooks , no unhooking mat and were turfed off by the bailiff. Not unreasonable I think. They were locals according to the bailiff and were chancing it.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score

Instead on the topic. I have seen not only once anglers actually snap their telescopic rods and usually they are the cheap combos from Decathlon. Those rods have zero action in them and are popular with non-skilled anglers. It usually results in lucky hookup of 15lb carp, rod snapping and eventually out of frustration or fear ending up in the water with the fish still attached.
After asking around this happens far too often on commercials as those are the places you are almost sure to catch something, hence the rule.

Yes, racism, the same old accusation every time it's pointed out that a certain culture steals fish for the pot.
Let me be clear Tomino, it is not racist to point out and condemn theft, if a certain group of people stopped committing these crimes and made the effort to blend in with the rest of the angling community they'd find they're made to be welcome.
Until that happens then you're going to be calling the racism word an awful lot, but you'd be wrong. Once you have your house in order then you, and Lutra can carry on making sweeping generalisations whenever your people are pulled up for fish theft.

nottskev

Reaction score
I can see why it looks like an arbitrary rule - equally I can see some possible reasons concerning the kind of fishing they might be hoping to deter.. Following Binka's nod to a fishery under new management, I had a look at their Facebook page, and I was delighted to see the rule "All anglers should have some sort of seat". I didn't wonder why - I spent an afternoon last week with Mike fishing a lake where several anglers stood up on the skyline to fish and a couple - on the next pegs - walked up and down talking non-stop and smoking weed that was chokingly strong two pegs away. I actually said to Mike, should be a rule to have a seat.

Rules that look a bit odd on a board can sometimes make sense when you see what they're trying to cut out....

daniel121

Reaction score
Nobby C/John

Don't feed em guys, there's enough of this s##t else where on the Web.

There is nothing of any truth in that statement by tomino2112, bar maybe reinforcing the serotype snobbery of telescopic rods?

Racism gets over used now, I'm unsure how a white Englishman - aka white European can be racist to a another white European.

Ignore them and they get board and disappear :thumb:

O

O.C.F.Disorder

I use lots of very cheap telescopics And I have never snapped one, I know how to use the drag and play fish. In fact the two rods I have snapped were both two piece rods and snapped due to the two parts slipping apart after repeated casts with heavy lures. There are good cheap french brands (like i have) that have a beautiful action.. The action only suffers as you use smaller telescopic rods. I bet you I could play any fish equally as efficiently as you do on your £300 2.5 test curve rod with my £15 telescopic. Stop making such judgmental generalizations, Sir.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

Why is the racism card played every time poaching is mentioned, ? is it because it is mainly non UK "anglers" ( I put UK instead of English in case of racism ) that are caught poaching and taking fish to eat, ? Yes we have given in to the PC brigade on many things, we are losing our own identity, the English get called racist for flying the flag of St George, Why ???
There is is saying "British born but English by the grace of God " and I am proud to be English, and lets hope God lasts longer than our identity.
Tomino how do you knw the rods have zero action, ? could you define zero action please ? and how do you know they are popular with unskilled anglers ? I fish lots of commercials around my area and in all the years I have never seen a telescopic rod on one, I have seen telescopic whips both cheap and expensive, and I have never seen one of those break either, In fact a lot of juniors start off with a cheap telescopic whip, and you don't get more cack handed than a kid learning to fish, the only thing I have seen break with kids using them is either the float or the line if we have had to untangle them.
So please stop making sweeping statements and thinking everyone is racist especially fishery owners who wish to protect their livelihood .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those that read the HDYGO thread, my last few posts have all been visits to my local lake catching roach, bream, carp and tench, all using a whip, a telescopic piece of equipment.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I am not going to get dragged into the racism debate because it is so out used by many,all i can say is i used a telescopic rod for a long time for ease of use,i could set it up in no time and be fishing,easy to move around the pool as well without taking it all apart,i am not a poacher yet it appears that some think that these rods are for them or are used mainly by them,i am not disputing the fact that poachers would find these kind of rods advantagous but not ALL who use them are poachers,i never had any trouble with my tele rod and it was a cheap decathlon make,i never used the reel that came with it has it never worked right but the rod did,no it did not have the kind of TC some would like but it never broke,in fact i still have it but never use it now as i use a pole these days,i landed a good 20lb carp on that rod without any trouble and the carp was returned safe and sound,i was not looking for carp but thats fishing.
To think anyone who uses these kind of rods are numptys or poachers or simply have no clue and need banning is a big mistake to make..i had to think why should anyone want a rule on sitting down or chairs,i can see the point being made but after a few hours of sitting it is best to get up and take a walk just to get the blood flow going again if nothing else.
At the end of the day it is up to the fishery owners what rules they put up and if you don't like them then don't go but don't have goes at them for having such rules and like i say telescopic rods are not the best by any means but they do not point at the Angler using one that he knows sweet FA about fishing or he is a poacher or someone up to no good...
I carried a old ladder once,was i going to break into some ones house?..no just cleaning some ones windows but the same thing applies i think,don't paint everone with that same brush.