river colne

paul k

Reaction score
hi,

can anyone suggest a good stretch of the river colne in the uxbridge,middlesex area that i can fish on a day ticket (or better still-free!!)

i fished the little britain stretch near cowley and couldn't buy a bite. it was very shallow and clear,which didn't help,but when i used to fish it over 10 years ago i had some nice bags of chub and roach.

any advice would be appreciated,

cheers

paul

L

Laurie Harper

Staines Moor (south of the area you refer to) used to be OK. Not fished it for a while. Longish walk, too. Might be worth a look. Free.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
try the stretch between the coy carp pub and the lock on the canalin coppermill lane harefield,its only short but its free,holds bream chub roach dace pike perch,perfect for stick float.you can park in the pub car park and walk across the road.best to take waders if you can and stand in the edge.

paul k

Reaction score
thanks guys,i'll try both of those. the harefield stretch is not far from me at all.

can't wait to get the trotting gear out!

the rain today should give the river a bit of colour too

thanks for the advice.

paul.

C

Chris Hewett

Big boy,I know its a bit far from the middlesex/Uxbridge area but if you wouldn't mind traveling toWatford(Herts) we have a lovely free stretch

I fish it most weekends and I must say its a brillant part of the Colne

This year alone I've had Chub 6lb,Carp 18lb,Barbel 8lb and Roach to 1lb 10oz and its all Free

If you would like some more information by all means e-mail me

Chris

paul k

Reaction score
nice one,chris

that sounds like a good stretch of river,travelling to watford's no problem for me,

i learnt how to fish and trot a stick float on the river gade in cassiobury park when i was a kid

if you could let me know some more info on the stretch of river i'd be very grateful

cheers

paul.

R

Roto Fryer

had a 7lb chub from the colne in watford /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Both sides of otterspool way are free. lots of jacks, a few carp and some serious chub.

Past the motorway is private. used to be otterspool way club but that folded, have no idea if anyone has it now.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Hi roto the section of the colne from the m1 through the munden estate and down stream of aldenham golf club is controlled by otterspool ac,I have been a member since june 2007 when the new club was formed by gary cullum.Membership is £30 per season.

R

Roto Fryer

Used to be a member there myself before it folded. I lived on the Meriden when I was in the UK.

Some nice fish in there if you can find them.

R

Roto Fryer

I was just thingking big boy that there is some cracking fish in the cowley arm of the canal.

In fact there are some crackers all along that section as its one of the longest pieces without a lock

paul k

Reaction score
i've heard someone say that about the cowley stretch,some big chub and perch aswell.

it's not the same as running water though,eh?

thanks for the advice though guys,i'm a newby on here,but it's a great place to get advice and tips.

i'll be trying out these new stretches and let you know how i get on.

cheers

paul.

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
Roto Fryer

Both sides of Otterspool Way are not free fishing.

The Fishing between the A41 (Otterspool Way) and the M1 is controlled by Boxmoor and District Angling Society on one bank and the Otterspool AC on the other. Neither issues day tickets and both banks are bailiffed.

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
As Michael says.. the section of Colne being discussed in this thread is club run and bailiffed. And Otterspool Angling Club has never ?folded? as suggested above, having been running for the past 15-18 years at the very least. There is no free fishing these days to the east ( away from the town centre) of the A41 road bridge - the free fishing that did exist was lost as a result of mainly local anglers disrespecting the environment and littering the bank.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Hi Gary, Can you give me a call or PM sometime, I lost your numbers when my laptop set fire (on my lap)

You'll find my telephone number HERE

We have one of your old Colne anglers up here now, Les Weller, do you know Les?

Look forward to your call.

Best wishes for 2009

John H

paul k

Reaction score
hi guys,i've joined uxbridge rovers now,they've got some great stretches of the colne.

can't wait to get on the bank!!

tight lines

paul k

peter crabtree

Reaction score
see you down there paul,I fish mainly at ricky,its a great stretch with plenty of big chub and barbel.watch out for the car park closing time if you park in the aquadrome .

paul k

Reaction score
can't wait to try it,peter.

i fished the denham court stretch the other day,had a couple of nice chub on flake.

the ricky stretch sounds good,i definately fancy the sound of the barbel!!

thanks for the advice on the car park.

i'll let you know how i get on.

Andrew Potter-Irwin

Reaction score
I used to live near Watford but only got to fish the Colne a couple of times as most trips were on the GUC.

One time was just up stream from the tescos and I think I managed to pull out a small carp.

I always wanted to fish on the stretch in Tescos as I used to always make my mum get a loaf in the shop then chuck bread off the bridge and watch the chub come up and take it. Anyone know about whether you can fish in the Tescos stretch?

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>peter crabtree wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I think its free,but its very shallow and full of rubbish..</blockquote>
You should be able to pick up a nice brace of shopping trolleys/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif