Local tackle shop

thecrow

Reaction score
For those of you who have a chat and a cup of tea, well that's just a sales tactic that you enjoy. Me, I'm in and out and thanks for the convenience.

Far sooner a friendly chat about how waters are fishing who's caught what and what might be handy for different styles of fishing than wham bam thanks for the cash who's next type of place, the information that can be gathered at such places is worth a lot more than the few quid more that you might have to pay for an item in these ever dwindling places, i don't know about video killing the radio show but it seems to me that massive impersonal tackle conglomerates are killing a valuable source of information.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that the idea that your local shop ceases to be a local shop when taken over is a little wide of the mark. I only know one personally, but to a great extent the staff remained the same. Some of the stock changed a little and the signage over the door changed. Beyond that, you could barely tell the difference.

It can be a similar story with the large warehouse type place. I do occasionally travel to one such place. However, it is independent. I know a few of the lads in there just as well as I do some of the blokes in my small local shops. If it were closer, it could easily become my local, just larger and better stocked. If it were closer, I'd quite like to work there. No more than three days a week though, I'd not like my fishing to suffer.;):D

nottskev

Reaction score
I agree that the jury is still out on some takeovers. But a lot of independents have closed.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... North West Angling Centre based in Hindley Wigan ( NWAC) is now part of Angling Direct!

That was my local Tackle Shop for the last few years - about 2 miles away - its mix of retail and on-line / mail order services has seen-off a few other local shops over the years (they reckoned!:eek:). Luckily we still have a handful of other Tackle Shops in the area - but for how long?:eek: - we'll have to see!

steve2

Reaction score
I agree, whatever the large chain store is that takes over and shuts your local shops that chain store will become your local shops because it will be the only place left to shop. Not necessarily the place you want to shop but the only place you can.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I haven't tried any of the other shops as they are too far to go to really but I may do. I will visit my local AD next week to have a look . I wonder what the price of maggots will be!:)

tacklesaver did a discount for my club on production of a club card,
enquiries are being made to see if it is still available now AD have taken over,
Mike. Daves of Middewich don't price match, Vale Royal will if you ask,
Leigh tackle and bait is a brilliant shop, helpful and knowledgeable staff,
Steve and Gavin are the main people to ask for there,