Closed or open face reels

trotter2

Reaction score
Back in the days when the rivers had more barbel that could be caught on stick float tactics.
We used to regularly catch barbel on a CF reel . It can be done you just need to take your time. 2.6lb bayer perlon was the line we used. Fished straight through for the big stuff.

bracket

Reaction score
Err...I think you ought to wash your mouth out with concentrated bleach .

Tigger. You must be physic, concentrated bleach? that's my favourite tipple (well, topped up with a double brandy to give it a bit of a kick). For a little nibble I will swallow a centre pin reel whole. Digestion being no problem, the bleach takes care of that. Now also being serious, for me centre pins are a delight to use in ideal conditions but for regular fishing, nolonger my first port of call. Pete

associatedmatt

Reaction score
From what I believe don't you need a decent flow for a pin ? This is why I have thought twice about one. But now there is bit more flow so may try one

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That rather depends on the reel in question.
Have seen plenty of pins around £50 but then the price jumps up to over £200 . Was looking for something around £100 Mark

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger. You must be physic, concentrated bleach? that's my favourite tipple (well, topped up with a double brandy to give it a bit of a kick). For a little nibble I will swallow a centre pin reel whole. Digestion being no problem, the bleach takes care of that. Now also being serious, for me centre pins are a delight to use in ideal conditions but for regular fishing, nolonger my first port of call. Pete

LOL Bracket, you must have an asbestos stomach :eek: ;).

Reaction score
I'm afraid you can trot with any decent reel(even not so decent),if you know what your trying to achieve,some prefer pins,as do i ,but I've caught a lot of fish on c.face and fixed spool reels too,preference I think they call it...:w

mikench

Reaction score
Matt, Matt you need a pin only you just don't know it yet. I can enjoy just looking at mine, giving them a spin, admiring the engineering, liking the looks and marvelling at how they work! Just as well because I cannot use either properly!::rolleyes:

You won't sit there with a glass in the one hand and a fs reel in the other whilst still at home !:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have seen plenty of pins around £50 but then the price jumps up to over £200 . Was looking for something around £100 Mark

Matt,
as much as I like pins, and still have a soft spot for closed face reels despite barely using them now, I'm not advocating you buy anything new. Just use your existing fixed spool reels to give trotting a go. You might find that you are one of those deviants that prefers legering and never bother trotting after an initial flurry. You may not get the fishy satisfaction you might expect. Until you've given it a bash, spending money on a centrepin or a closed face reel is pretty daft.

nottskev

Reaction score
mikench;1442534 You won't sit there with a glass in the one hand and a fs reel in the other whilst still at home !:)[/QUOTE said:
Are you marvelling at the invention of the wheel, Mike?

Only kidding - the coincidence of form and function is beautiful.

mikench

Reaction score
The wheel is mundane by comparison Kev! Perpetual motion is the pursuit of all inventors but a good pin comes close ! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the recent DaVinci sold for countless millions moved me not one jot! It was and is a hideous painting no matter the quality of the artistic element or the fame of the artist! A Cezanne , Matisse or Raoul Dufy on the other hand.......!:)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Matt,
as much as I like pins, and still have a soft spot for closed face reels despite barely using them now, I'm not advocating you buy anything new. Just use your existing fixed spool reels to give trotting a go. You might find that you are one of those deviants that prefers legering and never bother trotting after an initial flurry. You may not get the fishy satisfaction you might expect. Until you've given it a bash, spending money on a centrepin or a closed face reel is pretty daft.
Cheers Sam. Going to give it a go with the reel I got . Is 4lb ok to fish straight through?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually use 6lb straight through....Daiwa sensor of course ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I usually use 6lb straight through....Daiwa sensor of course ;).
Dont have any problem with dace or roach being line shy ?

Yes sensor on my spools too except my carp reels that has esp syncro

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Back on the sensor comments ha ha next we be on to the snottys and mud pigs

laguna

Reaction score
Trio down local river today and the flow is coming back . So it's time to learn to trott been advised to get a closed face reel .

What's people's opinions ? Would it help or make things more harder for me ?

Cheers

Ignore those pin snobs on here. Closed faced all day long!
My Diawa Harrier is over 45 years old Loaded with 4lb sensa, its versatility means it is used both on stillwater and running water - can land pasties and barbel to 7lb and almost everything that swims.

ps. unlike a pin, you don't need to pay out line when trotting... just let the lightest of floats go with the flow!

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ignore those pin snobs on here. Closed faced all day long!
My Diawa Harrier is over 45 years old Loaded with 4lb sensa, its versatility means it is used both on stillwater and running water - can land pasties and barbel to 7lb and almost everything that swims.

ps. unlike a pin, you don't need to pay out line when trotting... just let the lightest of floats go with the flow!
The spool only has 4lb on from when float fishing for tench... lucky but then the other spool has 8lb sensor on .

Was advised when learn to trott to use a chubber type float with bulk shot down line with a single dropper to avoid tangles and bigger float would be easier to control.

Cheers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dont have any problem with dace or roach being line shy ?

Yes sensor on my spools too except my carp reels that has esp syncro

Never had any problems catching fish using 6lb straight through.