Closed or open face reels

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ps. unlike a pin, you don't need to pay out line when trotting... just let the lightest of floats go with the flow!

If you have to pay out line from your pin it must be shafted :eek:mg:.

After thinking about your comment I would say that you have never used a pin otherwise you would know better than to say that.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If you have to pay out line from your pin it must be shafted :eek:mg:.

After thinking about your comment I would say that you have never used a pin otherwise you would know better than to say that.
I thought the line gets pulled of the pin with the flow ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

laguna

Reaction score
The spool only has 4lb on from when float fishing for tench... lucky but then the other spool has 8lb sensor on .

Was advised when learn to trott to use a chubber type float with bulk shot down line with a single dropper to avoid tangles and bigger float would be easier to control.

Cheers

Matt, 4lb line is ample, especially with a clutch. Funny enough a lot of people say to use 3lb with a closed face there spool capacity is small but to be honest I've never had a problem switching spools from 3-6lb on occasions without interference.
I mostly use a stick float as I like to mend line and hold back at the end of each trot-through. It depends on the flow/river/conditions and what your fishing for. A chubber might suit you if your river is shallow and running fast. The alternative is the Loafer which can be fished stick style with shiret button shot or waggler style.
Personally I only ever fish stick style but I'm not a fan of shirt button preferring instead a single dropper shot with the bulk near the float.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Matt, 4lb line is ample, especially with a clutch. Funny enough a lot of people say to use 3lb with a closed face there spool capacity is small but to be honest I've never had a problem switching spools from 3-6lb on occasions without interference.
I mostly use a stick float as I like to mend line and hold back at the end of each trot-through. It depends on the flow/river/conditions and what your fishing for. A chubber might suit you if your river is shallow and running fast. The alternative is the Loafer which can be fished stick style with shiret button shot or waggler style.
Personally I only ever fish stick style but I'm not a fan of shirt button preferring instead a single dropper shot with the bulk near the float.
Mending the line may be a tad harder on the jungle of a stream I'm planing to fish . Would use sticks but was advised to learn with a bigger float . What is the difference between a chubber and a loafer?

Bulk shot directly below your float ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Mending the line may be a tad harder on the jungle of a stream I'm planing to fish . Would use sticks but was advised to learn with a bigger float . What is the difference between a chubber and a loafer?

Bulk shot directly below your float ?

This is what been advised to start out like . But progress after get used to it .
43fadb95678f10006d8ae2a8e004b641.jpg