Closed or open face reels

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Trio down local river today and the flow is coming back . So it's time to learn to trott been advised to get a closed face reel .

What's people's opinions ? Would it help or make things more harder for me ?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
A decent closed face reel shouldn't make life harder when trotting. However, one with issues might. Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.

One thing for certain, you don't have to buy a closed face reel, or a centrepin, to start trotting. You can give it a go with the open face reels you already own. Give it a whirl before you think about splashing the cash.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A decent closed face reel shouldn't make life harder when trotting. However, one with issues might. Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.

One thing for certain, you don't have to buy a closed face reel, or a centrepin, to start trotting. You can give it a go with the open face reels you already own. Give it a whirl before you think about splashing the cash.
I have a shimano stardic 3000 which should be suitable

mikench

Reaction score
Matt I hesitate to venture forth an opinion but I love my closed face reels , an ABU 501 and an ABU 507. I haven't trotted with either as yet but will do so! I have a couple of pins and the most recent of which I intend to put to good use this coming week on a local river!

I would definitely get one for general float fishing as they are a pleasure to use particularly in windy conditions! I use them now for all my float fishing except specifically waggler fishing for carp on the drop. I have had several carp and bream to 7lb on both with no problems at all. The 507 has a drag and is more modern and meant for heavier lines and bigger fish! Lovely reels imho!

The 507 has spoolswhich are a little rough but a sand down with a small file and they are fine. I suspect they are marmite reels but then I love marmite!:rolleyes:

B

binka

Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.

I have always wondered why I'd condemned closed face reels to the dirty cupboard, especially given their halcyon days of the 80's when I worshipped and used little other than an Abu 501.

Windy days apart, that's reminded me nicely :)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How is the drag adjusted on the abu 507's then ?

mikench

Reaction score
I know nostalgia ain't what it used to be Steve, but with your skills accumulated since you abandoned them, you might just enjoy them!:)

mikench

Reaction score
How is the drag adjusted on the abu 507's then ?

There is a simple knurled knob on the back of the reel which you turn just like any drag! I accept that this drag system cannot compete with say the fighting drag on your stradic but it does work ! I wouldn't want to battle a large barbel with it but smaller fish would be fine! Do what Sam advises first and then have a look at a 506 or 507 in your local tackle shop!

B

binka

I know nostalgia ain't what it used to be Steve, but with your skills accumulated since you abandoned them, you might just enjoy them!:)

Don't encourage me Mike, after my recent and numerous splurges I really can't afford it :eek:mg: :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I maintain a certain fondness for closed face reels after using them for many years. However, they rarely see the light of day now. In half decent conditions, they do nothing better than a standard open face reel or a centrepin. They come into their own when it's windy. However, if it's windy enough to necessitate the use of a closed face reel, it's too windy for me to be bothered about going float fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's true that CF reels have inferior drags, if any. But consider what you expect to be catching. If you see yourself catching bags of small to medium size roach, dace and chublets - staples of a lot of river floatfishing - the drag won't really be an issue. I regularly use a CF for that type of fishing on local rivers, and can't remember feeling deprived by lack of a finely calibrated drag. There are places where big fish like chub and barbel are likely to gatecrash, but these are rare even on the Trent and Derwent stretches I fish, and I wouldn't gear up for a once in a blue moon eventuality. A bit of backwinding has taken care of anything unexpected I've hooked this year.

If you're new to river floatfishing, there is one big advantage CF's have, which hasn't been mentioned so far. The second after you've dropped your finger onto the spool/face and struck a bite works differently on the different reels. On an open-face reel, you have to flip over the bail arm, hopefully without giving an inch of slack or fumbling the job. That becomes second nature, but is one extra complication when you're learning the whole thing. On a CF, a turn, or half-turn of the handle, puts the winding pin(s) in play, and the whole thing is foolproof.

There's no doubt open-face reels are superior for versatility and playing big fish, and these are what I use most, but in it's proper place, the CF is a treat to use and its simplicity a virtue.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like to use my 501 for float fishing when targeting tench at night. The drag on the 501 is great. I set the drag (on the handle) to what I feel is just less than what's needed and then control the handle with a finger to create as much drag as is needed to stop the fish dead if need be....similar to a centrepin really. My biggest bug bear when trotting with it was line stick, which was worse with finer lines. Even though I seldom use it these days the abu 501 is my all time favorite reel....love it!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Matt.
That Stradic 3000.

Perfect for trotting.

You will find that fingering the spool and then clamping the finger down on a bite / strike then winding the bail arm over becomes second nature/automatic.

CF reels always feel like un-oiled metal on metal grinders.:D

padman400

Reaction score
506 is my go to if windy. Had the drag removed, as I am more than happy to back wind, so not a problem.

Just bought my first Pin and feel like the 506 will become redundant unless the wind is blowing.

mikench

Reaction score
Why make 3 or 4 movements, automatic or otherwise when 1 will do! I have a few high end fs reels and I much prefer my ABU's.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks all . I have got 4lb on a spool is that light enough main species are chub , roach and dace , bearing mind some chub known to be upto 7lb .

bracket

Reaction score
As a child in Nottingham I spent the first fifteen years of my angling life (8 to 23) fishing the Trent with a centre pin. I eventually disciplined myself to use a fixed spool reel for trotting and naturally graduated to Abu's, then on to a Diawa 125m. I now use a 125m, for all of my trotting sessions. In moments of nostalgia I will put a pin on, just to prove I can still do it (which I can because it is instinctive) but when I fish seriously it's a close face reel which, for me beats a centre pin hands down in any circumstance. Pete.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
when I fish seriously it's a close face reel which, for me beats a centre pin hands down in any circumstance. Pete.

Err...I think you ought to wash your mouth out with concentrated bleach ;) :D.

Being serious, having used fixed spool and closed faced reels for trotting I don't think any are anything like as good for the purpose as a centrepin reel, when using a top and bottom float at least :w.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I suffer with cramps in my hands and using a fixed spool river float fishing for any more than 30 mins is painful.

What made me change back to CF reels was when I got spanked off the next peg in a match when the guy fished the waggler for bleak with an old Abu on a very windy day, he walked the section with 6lb and the speed he fished at in the conditions could not have been done with any other reel.

Since then I've enjoyed building a collection of old daiwa 120m's and this week on the Thames I finely gave one a real test when I finally landed my first barbel "double" on the float with a 10lb 12oz fish