Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Closed or open face reels

Trio down local river today and the flow is coming back . So it's time to learn to trott been advised to get a closed face reel .

What's people's opinions ? Would it help or make things more harder for me ?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Closed or open face reels

A decent closed face reel shouldn't make life harder when trotting. However, one with issues might. Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.

One thing for certain, you don't have to buy a closed face reel, or a centrepin, to start trotting. You can give it a go with the open face reels you already own. Give it a whirl before you think about splashing the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    A decent closed face reel shouldn't make life harder when trotting. However, one with issues might. Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.

One thing for certain, you don't have to buy a closed face reel, or a centrepin, to start trotting. You can give it a go with the open face reels you already own. Give it a whirl before you think about splashing the cash.
    I have a shimano stardic 3000 which should be suitable

Matt I hesitate to venture forth an opinion but I love my closed face reels , an ABU 501 and an ABU 507. I haven't trotted with either as yet but will do so! I have a couple of pins and the most recent of which I intend to put to good use this coming week on a local river!

I would definitely get one for general float fishing as they are a pleasure to use particularly in windy conditions! I use them now for all my float fishing except specifically waggler fishing for carp on the drop. I have had several carp and bream to 7lb on both with no problems at all. The 507 has a drag and is more modern and meant for heavier lines and bigger fish! Lovely reels imho!

The 507 has spoolswhich are a little rough but a sand down with a small file and they are fine. I suspect they are marmite reels but then I love marmite!

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Worth bearing in mind that the drags, if they have them, on closed face reels are invariably poor. You are likely to have to backwind to play decent fish. If this doesn't suit you, it could be an issue.
    I have always wondered why I'd condemned closed face reels to the dirty cupboard, especially given their halcyon days of the 80's when I worshipped and used little other than an Abu 501.

Windy days apart, that's reminded me nicely

How is the drag adjusted on the abu 507's then ?

I know nostalgia ain't what it used to be Steve, but with your skills accumulated since you abandoned them, you might just enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by associatedmatt View Post
    How is the drag adjusted on the abu 507's then ?

There is a simple knurled knob on the back of the reel which you turn just like any drag! I accept that this drag system cannot compete with say the fighting drag on your stradic but it does work ! I wouldn't want to battle a large barbel with it but smaller fish would be fine! Do what Sam advises first and then have a look at a 506 or 507 in your local tackle shop!

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I know nostalgia ain't what it used to be Steve, but with your skills accumulated since you abandoned them, you might just enjoy them!
    Don't encourage me Mike, after my recent and numerous splurges I really can't afford it

I bet you have every model lined up in your wonderful garage!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast