Missing posters!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I really miss the insightful posts from the likes of Derek and Tee-Cee, as well as others, but particularly from those two who I have "known" on here for many years, but sadly never met in person.

For those who have been members here for many years they will well remember the various "wars" that we have had on here over the years, and indeed many of those went to form the moderation policies that we have, and enforce, today.

These days there are more than enough political and indeed religious topics that can divide and become very divisive, si again, personally, I think we have the balance right here on FM.

Whitty rightly notes how some of these topics can break up long time friendships, as some people appear to use fishing forums to further their political beliefs.

We seem to have more than enough topics in the angling world to divide us without descending into politics . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
Graham you can make friends with anybody !;)

Life can be hard enough for us all and I try to entertain and raise a smile/groan whenever possible and to contribute to a discussion . I agree that humour is a personal thing and we all sometimes feel we have little to laugh or even smile about but there are many people who do have a lot to moan about! At least we all have a consuming and enjoyable hobby within which to escape once in a while!:rolleyes:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have only been member of FM since September, and I have found it more
friendly and helpful with advice than my own fishing club forum,
sometimes on there you get one or two posters making derogatory
comments against others, some can moan for England about various things,
I like to have a bit of banter with one or two on there and it is taken all in good fun, even though it may seem to others that it can get out of hand,
Posters on my club forum, come and go even though they remain in the club, I think they either go on to other fishing forums or give up posting,
I even recommended FM to Artie who joined last week, so keep up the good work guys, If a fish in is organized around the north west area count me in.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Could be also reflection of overall state of fishing in the UK. I have been fishing here only three years, it wasn't great then and I have to say it has been going downhill since. Just look at all the low water-level reports lately. Dont want to start rant about UK fishing in this thread, but I think it could be a reason why angling is not top hobby for lot of people anymore (not to mention new anglers coming to sport)

mikench

Reaction score
You will get used to our climate eventually! We generally have more than our fair share of rain with consequent flooding! :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You will get used to our climate eventually! We generally have more than our fair share of rain with consequent flooding! :)

Send some down to the Southeast please, been 5 years since we've had more than our fair share.:mad:

mikench

Reaction score
I accept that Kent is dry but the rest of the country has had its fair share of rain and flooding!

barbelboi

Reaction score
In the two years plus that I've been here we've had very little rain - the rivers have been continually gin clear with very little flow. Only a couple of times has there been a touch of colour in the water and that didn't last more than a couple of days - certainly need some rain.

greenie62

Reaction score
I accept that Kent is dry but the rest of the country has had its fair share of rain and flooding!

Just had Yellow weather Warnings for Wind and Rain - apparently driven by the Strong Winds from the SE - just keep it to yourself you Kentish crew and stop moaning your rivers are too low! - if you kept it down there your rivers would be fine! :D

PS: Where's D&C? - haven't heard from DorsetandChub for ages!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
This is not directed at any of the current missing posters but there could be many reasons for disappearance.

Health comes to mind. It may be someone has had to give up angling for health and perhaps to post when no longer able is like rubbing salt in wounds.

When I first joined here there was a poster that was quite helpful to me in a PM.
A while later he was banned for abusive posts and to me at the time it seemed there was a sudden problem up top so to speak.

Another had a bereavement and life changed.

mikench

Reaction score
I started this topic because of the reasons you allude to John! I mentioned Derek Gibson amongst others because I suspect he may well be suffering from the causes you mention and whilst he may not be remotely interested, and for understandable reasons, at least he can draw some small comfort from the fact that he is missed and well thought of !

There are other forums for other hobbies which I rarely post on now because the subject no longer interests me!

Non of us are getting any younger and fitter and I seem to be attending funerals more regularly!:(

Philip

Reaction score
We are all ageing save for Philip who remains a 12 year old with infinite wisdom and experience!

Gee thanks Mike…I think ! …however you forget to add handsome, clever and immensely likable..;):D

Regarding posters, well they come and go and I think its just part of the ebb and flow of any web forum. One of the reasons I post here is because for the most part its civil and the majority of posters seem to be decent people.
My own outlook on posting is that I try and debate hard but fair. Sometimes I will throw the odd more contentious nugget in there to liven up the discussion a bit but its important never to be malicious or have ulterior motives. It can be a delicate line sometimes to find the right balance between good debate and offending someone and we will all get it wrong sometimes.

Often if you see the situation is starting to escalate a simple “I am sorry I didn’t mean to offend you” is enough to set it all right again.

barbelboi

Reaction score
;)
It can be a delicate line sometimes to find the right balance between good debate and offending someone and we will all get it wrong sometimes.

Very true Philip although it becomes easier with posters that you know personally and the time scale factor where other posters can adjust to another's 'sense of humour- for want of a polite word. BTW your first line is total bollax................;)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Personally I really miss the insightful posts from the likes of Derek and Tee-Cee, as well as others, but particularly from those two who I have "known" on here for many years, but sadly never met in person.

For those who have been members here for many years they will well remember the various "wars" that we have had on here over the years, and indeed many of those went to form the moderation policies that we have, and enforce, today.

These days there are more than enough political and indeed religious topics that can divide and become very divisive, si again, personally, I think we have the balance right here on FM.

Whitty rightly notes how some of these topics can break up long time friendships, as some people appear to use fishing forums to further their political beliefs.

We seem to have more than enough topics in the angling world to divide us without descending into politics . . . .

In some cases PJ the lack of moderation may be the reason for the current demise of some forums:(