Missing posters!

mikench

Reaction score
Not heard much from Lord Paul, Tee Cee and Derek Gibson for a while! I hope they are all well and just too busy fishing to post!;)

john step

Reaction score
It seems to happen from time to time. People like Arthur2sheds burst onto the scene then disappear.
There have been about 3 different mickb s .

Makes you wonder if people get fed up with the angle and do other things.....heresy:eek:

B

binka

It seems to happen from time to time. People like Arthur2sheds burst onto the scene then disappear.
There have been about 3 different mickb s .

Makes you wonder if people get fed up with the angle and do other things.....heresy:eek:

Iirc I think Arthur2sheds took umbridge to the image policy within the site's t's & c's and accordingly slung his hook :D

I occasionally see Derek listed as viewing very early in a morning, I hope he's ok.

mikench

Reaction score
I too hope Derek is well and still thought provoking! We are all ageing save for Philip who remains a 12 year old with infinite wisdom and experience!:rolleyes::D

nottskev

Reaction score
Lord Paul was lined up for a back operation, I think. He mentioned it on here, and I pm'ed him about it, as I had the same operation years ago. I've noticed he's not been on, and wondered if he is recuperating.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Often wonder why Thames Mudlarker stopped posting so ubruptly.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

He seemed like a very nice chap with plenty knowledge to boot...pity he's vanished!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Over the years hundreds of posters have disappeared from this forum.
Recent departures include...

bullet.
denzinho.
wa 1115.
qtaran
robertroach
fishing4luckies.

to name a few..

Has it all become a bit repetitive regarding subjects discussed?
Would more 'fish ins' or dare I suggest 'matches' spark more enthusiasm and banter?
We don't seem to get many arguments flaring up any more, a bit of controversy?
Maybe for the better, but they seemed to be popular when they occurred?

Like they say ' you can please some of the people some of the time blah blah blah...'

B

binka

The answer is very clearly there in the forum.

Considering his background circumstances I can't say I blame him or what I suspect was the offending comment as it was clearly intended as innocent, throw away humour which I suspect may have been interpreted differently and it's a very easy and understandable thing to do if you're unfortunate enough to be in a similar situation.

Not made by me by the way, but in a thread which I started and which I wish I hadn't if it had prevented said comment from being made and the resulting departure which ensued :(

A very sad loss of who seemed like a nice guy and a very experienced angler who had a lot to share, imo.

mikench

Reaction score
Yes he was a good bloke but I can't recall the post that might have offended him! Overall this forum is benign and I regard that as very much a positive.

There is enough aggro and animosity in the rest of world without this forum following suit! Helpfulness and polite banter should not be underestimated!;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Funnily enough I wondered about Tee Cee the other day, just thought havn't heard from him for a while. Mudlark Thames -remember him, did not know he left because of a row. And who was that bloke that used to post about using dead animals as bait, he got it in the neck and went.
Binkas right about throw away humour, it does not always carry well in print, I find I edit a lot of stuff because I don't want to offend anyone.
And I often think of leaving, the absolute tripe I have to listen to, center pins for example. And that's just the start of it, people who cannot use a computer, whats wrong with you. Cant catch a fish to save their life, HDYGO thread, full of blanks and woes and what I should have done; should you really be fishing. And who's that bloke that couldn't catch a tench to save his life, strewth. Don't know how I stick it out and no surprise people leave...

I have edited most of this..

Last edited:
B

binka

I don't think Stuart (Thames Mudlarker) stopped posting because of a row as such Mark, just what I had interpreted as something which could have been taken out of context given his circumstances but I could be completely wrong, it's just what I had read in to it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't think Stuart (Thames Mudlarker) stopped posting because of a row as such Mark, just what I had interpreted as something which could have been taken out of context given his circumstances but I could be completely wrong, it's just what I had read in to it.

I don't know Binka, I cannot remember following what went on but he a knew a lot and was a nice bloke and he had some interesting takes on sea fishing if I remember rightly, whatever the reason its a shame he doesn't post anymore. Quite a few people come and go for various reasons, its just life. Same in personal life, how many people come and go over the years and sometimes you stop and wonder where they are, same as we are doing now. Mind you its best not to know sometimes, I attended a school reunion a few years ago and not many turned up, half of them were in prison or on the run, which did not surprise me much given the area but it was nice seeing others that survived; we could teach Ray Mears a thing or two.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score

When Stuarts posts disappeared i got in touch with him through another forum, he told me that he had decided that he was a member of to many forums and that he was going to be concentrating on his Bass fishing so FM was to be one of the forums he wouldn't be visiting any more, shame really as i enjoyed his posts and it was obvious that he knew what he was talking about.

mikench

Reaction score
Funnily enough I wondered about Tee Cee the other day, just thought havn't heard from him for a while. Mudlark Thames -remember him, did not know he left because of a row. And who was that bloke that used to post about using dead animals as bait, he got it in the neck and went.
Binkas right about throw away humour, it does not always carry well in print, I find I edit a lot of stuff because I don't want to offend anyone.
And I often think of leaving, the absolute tripe I have to listen to, center pins for example. And that's just the start of it, people who cannot use a computer, whats wrong with you. Cant catch a fish to save their life, HDYGO thread, full of blanks and woes and what I should have done; should you really be fishing. And who's that bloke that couldn't catch a tench to save his life, strewth. Don't know how I stick it out and no surprise people leave...

I have edited most of this..

Mark is your post tongue in cheek or a heartfelt rant and criticism of the forum in general and certain members in particular? I must be the bloke who couldn't catch a tench but that omission has been remedied , largely thanks to Nottskev , who but for this forum I would never have met. :) I still struggle to catch tench as frequently as I would like but hey ho that's life.

There are loads of things I shouldn't be doing and fishing is probably one of them but like most things in life which one shouldn't do, they are the most enjoyable. I note your comment that you have edited your post which implies it was originally far more critical and cutting:(. You are entitled to your views which I respect but I am very happy to find such a hobby relatively late in life and one which provides great enjoyment and gets me out of the house. I have also met some genuinely nice guys who also greatly enjoy their fishing and who have been most helpful to me!

I find a perverse comfort from reports of blanks,not out of malevolence, but because it shows that even the experts encounter them like me!;)

Cheer up Mark we cannot be that bad!:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Though I look in every day my posting has slowed. I'm blaming me not being able to get out since the beginning of October.
I suppose I've turned to skulking.
The threads that are mostly showing up just don't interest me, when one gets my attention I will be there.
Angling at the moment is low on my list.
If a certain post gets any reaction especially makes me smile I give it a like.

Reaction score
I'm afraid that at times any forum can become oppressive,at one time there were a few posters who seemed to descend on threads and destroy them on FM,ruining any chance of discussion or debate,belittling the idea of any forum,almost troll like,also some people don't like others having differing opinions,that is why FM has no politics,it is too emotive a subject and friendships can be lost forever over it.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark is your post tongue in cheek or a heartfelt rant and criticism of the forum in general and certain members in particular? I must be the bloke who couldn't catch a tench but that omission has been remedied , largely thanks to Nottskev , who but for this forum I would never have met. :) I still struggle to catch tench as frequently as I would like but hey ho that's life.

There are loads of things I shouldn't be doing and fishing is probably one of them but like most things in life which one shouldn't do, they are the most enjoyable. I note your comment that you have edited your post which implies it was originally far more critical and cutting:(. You are entitled to your views which I respect but I am very happy to find such a hobby relatively late in life and one which provides great enjoyment and gets me out of the house. I have also met some genuinely nice guys who also greatly enjoy their fishing and who have been most helpful to me!

I find a perverse comfort from reports of blanks,not out of malevolence, but because it shows that even the experts encounter them like me!;)

Cheer up Mark we cannot be that bad!:rolleyes:

Totally tongue in cheek Mike, throw away humour. But you see how things can be seen differently by different people , which was my point sort of; humour is a funny thing and it does not always carry off in print. And I didn't really forget who that bloke was-you -I had to get Valium pills from the Doc.
:) :) :)

PS-Thats right Crow, I remember Stuart was well into his Bass fishing and I had quite a few discussions with him on that and there are not that many sea anglers on here so I expect he found something more to his forte.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Something that doesn't need tinkering with in my view,, forums are organic and have their peaks and troughs and ebb and flow like our depleted rivers.

Rather have a forum that's goes a little quiet from time to time than one that's plagued by trolls waiting on every thread generated to jump in and flex their keyboard.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Steve Pope was a regular monthly writer who I enjoyed with his barbel exploits and Alan Yates wrote a few times, he was a top sea match angler, never hear about them now. I suppose it is just the ebb and flow of a forum.

Last edited: