Small stream chub fishing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Got a couple of small streams near me where it's proper jungle fishing . Anyone had any experiences with this kind of fishing?

In places it's a mere 2 ft deep and others it's 6ft. Is it better to ledger with a swan shot or 2 on the line or trotting ?

If ledger any better baits for small streams as guess boilies and pellets be out the window ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
You've more or less got it right Matt, either trot or fish a small lead and avoid those baits as they are selective - maggots will give you a good idea of what's in there and you can learn the river more each time.

Also that jungle will become less of a problem as winter progresses and those little rivers give a better account of themselves after a good bit of rain

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You've more or less got it right Matt, either trot or fish a small lead and avoid those baits as they are selective - maggots will give you a good idea of what's in there and you can learn the river more each time.

Also that jungle will become less of a problem as winter progresses and those little rivers give a better account of themselves after a good bit of rain
That was the idea why I have got my interest now as looked in summer and was too overgrown .

But now il go have a go try trotting or ledger baits like lobworms , bread , prawns

I guess feeders are a now as could easily feed too much . Guess if do loose feed anything like mash bread only a little bit .

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
Matt I plan to try a little river this week armed with maggots, prawns and bread! I plan to use a light ledger ie a couple of sssg on a short piece of line, and a trot or two if circumstances allow! Good luck Matt!:)

Ps I will also be using corn!!!!!!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matt I plan to try a little river this week armed with maggots, prawns and bread! I plan to use a light ledger ie a couple of sssg on a short piece of line, and a trot or two if circumstances allow! Good luck Matt!:)

If your going where I think your going Mike, maggots/casters and corn are your best bet ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score

I have noticed even after a day of rain here in swindon and I drive over a bridge further downstream the water is flowing nicley .

Can you trott when only a foot or 2 deep ?

theartist

Reaction score
I have noticed even after a day of rain here in swindon and I drive over a bridge further downstream the water is flowing nicley .

Can you trott when only a foot or 2 deep ?

Are you serious? I yearn for a swim 2 foot deep, yes you can

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Corn for chub ? Do they like them ?

If you wanted to train a chub for the circus you probably manage it if you gave them corn lol. They also like corn/maggot cocktails ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Are you serious? I yearn for a swim 2 foot deep, yes you can
Just thought with a float 9 inches long the fish may see it above there heads . Guess not the case . Had a thought of Sweetcorn mash may be worth as loose feed

bracket

Reaction score
I regularly fished the Little Witham around Dry Doddington /Long Bennington area, and this would be a typical example of a small river, stuffed with fish and weed. My usual approach was a small bodied waggler cut down to 4 inch in length, cast over to the far bank at a depth of between 1ft to 2ft 6in
, depending on the swim, with maggot or caster on the hook. The reason for the little waggler was that it cuts clean through the water and you strike straight to the fish. Pete.

B

binka

I regularly fished the Little Witham around Dry Doddington /Long Bennington area, and this would be a typical example of a small river, stuffed with fish and weed. My usual approach was a small bodied waggler cut down to 4 inch in length, cast over to the far bank at a depth of between 1ft to 2ft 6in
, depending on the swim, with maggot or caster on the hook. The reason for the little waggler was that it cuts clean through the water and you strike straight to the fish. Pete.

Many years ago I regularly fished slightly further downstream at Beckingham Pete, it was possible to fish a single swim all day and catch without spooking everything on the first fish and there were some beautiful roach back then, in addition to a good average size of chub.

Similarly on the Auburn stretch which I joined much later in life but unlike the nearby Devon where it was a case of catch and move as everything within twenty yards would spook away at the slightest disturbance, but it was a much smaller river...

If that's possible?

On the Devon we used to identify several deep(er!) holes along a length and after a fish we would up and off to the next hole, rather than bait and sit it out until the fish returned.

steve2

Reaction score
There is a float for these type of waters called the Trent Trotter used them for many years on Essex streams.

B

binka

There is a float for these type of waters called the Trent Trotter used them for many years on Essex streams.

Paul Duffield still produces them at a very modest price.

A shorter and stubbier, fatter and skittle shaped version of a chubber type of float and strangely enough the very last type of float I would ever consider using on the Trent, given that it's my backyard water.

I think there's been some deviation from the very early Trent Trotters which incorporated an additional side eye so that they could be fished slider style in deep swims, I've got a really interesting article on them somewhere but the usual and cursory quick rummage around has produced zilch.

If/when I eventually find it i'll post it up.

Edited to add: The Trent Trotter has also been mentioned here on FM previously, I had a feeling that Billy Lane had some input into it but I reckon it stems back way before then...

The 'Trent Trotter' and 'Chubber' by Billy Lane

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A few pictures but ignore the bridge picture as more like a jungle .

Only thing is I think my 13ft rod will be a tad too long . Now it's either use my 11ft Avon or got a 8ft light spinning rod
38f490e3ac084336bb3f7b2da957bdb0.jpg
cdebc3e537887ac4844c36612041cd59.jpg