17' Acolyte short video

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi bracket as you know its a technique that can be used with any reel ,feeding line like on the video is used to control the speed of the trot and give you very precise control .
You see a top of top anglers going it including the late Ivan Marks.

If I had to trott in that manner I wouln't do any trotting!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why would that be then Ian ?
Are we saying your technique is better than a world champion give over man ;):D

There's no way on earth that you could keep up with my float by feeding line out by hand. Also to feed out up to a hundred yards of line on a trott would be a nightmare....i'd rather leger!

sam vimes

Reaction score
What really did interest me was the trotting technique being used. Paying off the line from the reel, by hand was a style I learnt as a kid and have used ever since. This method of trotting can be used with any type of reel. So it begs the question which one of you purists is going to tell umpteen times World Champion Alan he should have used a Pin?:wh Pete.

As much as I like using them, I wouldn't tell Joe Bloggs he should have used a pin, let alone Alan Scotthorne. I'd certainly never expect to see a matchman using one. If I'd have stuck with match fishing, I doubt that I'd have ever bothered to try one.

I don't know anyone of fifty, or less, that was brought up on centrepins. No doubt there will be some that inherited pins from dads, uncles and granddads and maybe got a bit of tuition thrown in. None of my angling age group peers have ever used a pin. None of the match types I know have used a pin unless they are old enough to have been fishing before the early seventies (at the very latest).

There are pros and cons for pin use. Whether the pros outweigh the cons depends on the individual, the style of fishing they enjoy and the type of venue concerned. I know quite a few of the older river matchmen in my area that use that kind of hand feeding of the line for both waggler and stick fishing. It can be very effective. However, even when the user is very well practised, it doesn't work very well when there's a bit of pace about the swim. Most of the water I fish is far too pacey for it, but it doesn't help that I'm rubbish at it. I can achieve far better float control with a pin than with fixed spool reels.

However, the ultimate reality is that I use centrepins for no greater reason than I enjoy using them. It goes hand in hand with me trotting rather than using a lead, feeder, or waggler regardless of them being the most appropriate methods at times. I like trotting and I like doing it with a pin. As I'm not a matchman, I care not one jot for ultimate speed or efficiency. However, if I genuinely thought using pins was having a significant impact on my catches, I'd not bother using them.

Let's face it, I use long rods with centrepins. I'm under no illusions of it being an on trend way of going about things. I'm happy with what I do and it works for me. I suspect that there are things I can do with long rods and a pin that others couldn't replicate with a 13' rod and fixed spool reel. However, chances are they'd do just fine with an alternate method to a top and bottom float.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't use pins if I went back to match fishing. However, the prime reason for not using them would come down to the amount of gear being taken. A couple of fixed spool reels can be enough for all aspects of running line fishing. I'd only want to use a pin for trotting a top and bottom float. It would be left at home in the pursuit of efficiency before the actual fishing even came into it.

trotter2

Reaction score
There's no way on earth that you could keep up with my float by feeding line out by hand. Also to feed out up to a hundred yards of line on a trott would be a nightmare....i'd rather leger!

In a fast flowing river there would be know need to Ian a large float and a free flowing centrepin would see you ok (long trotting). And I don't think you would see Alan doing it either in those conditions. But slow rivers light stick floats different story.

There is more than one way to skin a cat ;

YouTube

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In a fast flowing river there would be know need to Ian a large float and a free flowing centrepin would see you ok (long trotting). And I don't think you would see Alan doing it either in those conditions. But slow rivers light stick floats different story.

There is more than one way to skin a cat ;

YouTube

Even in slow flowing rivers I wouldn't faff about pulling line from the reel. I can't believe a so called top match angler fishes in that manner.....i'd say he needs to learn how to trott a river properly.

Trotter, I don't always get to fish fast glides and I have quite a lot of experience in all manner of flowing water so youtube videos arn't needed to educate me bud ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
I can see you wasting your talents Ian you should go into match fishing mate. Lol.

dalesman

Reaction score
So it begs the question which one of you purists is going to tell umpteen times World Champion Alan he should have used a Pin?:wh Pete.

Dare say if Drennan made a pin, Alan would probably use one.

He's using what his Sponsor (Drennan) makes and pays him to use

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Minor snag being that he's using a Shimano reel in the video.

I noticed that Chris, I have seen him using one on a video before and he actually mentioned it and how it was his favourite reel. I think he was legering on the trent in that video. I'sure the vid is on youtube.

Richox12

Reaction score
I think peeling line off by hand or 'assisting' it stems from the days of the 506, 501, 507 when they were great for fishing the float but had absolute rubbish line lay and the line bedded in. So you had to pull it off. Open faced reels at that time (late 70's early 80's), from what I can remember trying to use/using, didn't have manual closing bail arms and even the rotors revolved the wrong way meaning the line hit the back of your finger not the front.

nottskev

Reaction score
I think the cynicism about what top anglers like Alan Scothorne use is unwarranted. It's rather different from celebrities endorsing breakfast cereals etc. At the top level, companies build input from the angler into their product. It's more a case of the angler telling them what to make than vice versa. It's no coincidence you'll never find a bad rod with, for example, Tom Pickering's name on it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember Bernard Venables pulling line from his centrepin reel (rather than allowing the current to pull it from the reel) while he was trotting for roach and I thought it was a crappy method at the time.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What with the near drought conditions here in the SE the flow on many rivers is non existent, you'd need to pull line off a well oiled centre pin around here..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What with the near drought conditions here in the SE the flow on many rivers is non existent, you'd need to pull line off a well oiled centre pin around here..

I'd thumb it off before i'd start tugging it off. No need for that round here anyhow as yet again it's slashing down and the rivers are up and rattling through so is in no fit state for trotting :eek:mg:.