17' Acolyte short video

john step

Reaction score
What with the near drought conditions here in the SE the flow on many rivers is non existent, you'd need to pull line off a well oiled centre pin around here..

Do you recall fluted floats that were supposed to catch more of the flow?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I think it’s a bit of a marmite float (it certainly seems to have disappeared from most people’s float boxes and I never really stuck with one during the ‘earlier years of popularity’). A fluted float was supposed to get considerably more grip on the water and this in turn should make mending the line easier. If you’re trotting 40 or 50 yards downstream, with line passing over fast water, slack water and eddies with perhaps the further influence of wind, a fluted float, in the right hands, could/should make a considerable difference.

PS I believe a lot depends on what line you use Ian...................................;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it’s a bit of a marmite float (it certainly seems to have disappeared from most people’s float boxes and I never really stuck with one during the ‘earlier years of popularity’). A fluted float was supposed to get considerably more grip on the water and this in turn should make mending the line easier. If you’re trotting 40 or 50 yards downstream, with line passing over fast water, slack water and eddies with perhaps the further influence of wind, a fluted float, in the right hands, could/should make a considerable difference.

PS I believe a lot depends on what line you use Ian...................................;)

I only use the best line you can get BB ;).

flightliner

Reaction score

Fluted floats, made little or no differance , if they were any good many a Trent stickfloat user would have incorporated the fluted idea into the sticks they used . That said, using one with a poorly chosen line could have given the impression that they did indeed work as claimed.
A backshot or a foot or two of line above the float treated with fullers earth was/is:) a far better option.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd give fluted floats a go for no better reason than liking the look of them, provided they work at least as well as any other float. However, as cheap as I've seen them is about £10 a pop. I don't care how many feathers you stick on the side, I'm not paying much more than an extortionate fiver for any float that I intend to use.

mikench

Reaction score
Fluted floats, made little or no differance , if they were any good many a Trent stickfloat user would have incorporated the fluted idea into the sticks they used . That said, using one with a poorly chosen line could have given the impression that they did indeed work as claimed.
A backshot or a foot or two of line above the float treated with fullers earth was/is:) a far better option.

I have some Fullers Pride does that work as well?:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
Wife has just bought me the 14' version for Chrimbo, wonder if she can exchange it before the big day for a 17' :wh

I would not worry too much ...from what I hear the tips snap so easily that the 17 will become a 14 within a month or two anyway...:D

Ps ..I'm actually dead jealous;)

Philip

Reaction score
Do you recall fluted floats that were supposed to catch more of the flow?

One of my favorite looking floats. I still have one tucked away somewhere.

In my opinion although the difference will probably be minimal I think given identical tackle a fluted float will "grip" the water better than a round one as it offers more surface area to the water round it. However what is never mentioned about them is that for the same reason it will also mean it takes more effort to pull them under.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well you've got me stumped on that post Jerry, wtf is an ESB:confused:

esb.png