match rod and reel fittings

sis the roach

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has tried to put an oringal stanton center pin reel on a acolyte 15 ft rod you can not unscrew the top half of the handle it hits the the hook keeper ring and if you get the reel seat in can you get it back on

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it helps at all, the reel seat gaps on my four Acolyte float rods vary from 67 to 69mm. The two fifteen footers are 67 and 67.4mm respectively. I've not got any type of Stanton to measure, but reckon that you should be able to squeeze a reel foot up to about 70mm into the 67mm reel seat aperture.

seth49

Reaction score
The reel foot on my adcock Stanton pin is 68mm long, if that's any help.

Richox12

Reaction score
It's a Fuji 16mm DPS right ? If you unscrew it completely at the top rotating collar and slide it up out of the way it will easily be relocated once you've fitted the reel's foot. Just align the hoods

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I manage to get the stantons onto my acolytes. I back the collar off as far as possible. Then place the reel foot into/under one of the cups/holders on an angle and slide it in a far as it will go. Then the other end of the foot usually fits in ok. Some of the reel holders are tighter than others and I have this problem with a number of reels! It appears to be the hook keeper which is the main problem.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's a Fuji 16mm DPS right ? If you unscrew it completely at the top rotating collar and slide it up out of the way it will easily be relocated once you've fitted the reel's foot. Just align the hoods

You can't unscrew it completely due to the positioning of a hook keeper ring at the very end of the screw thread travel. It's the main reason for the slight discrepancy in measurements between different rods. You could force it open a little further, but you risk destroying the cork on the fore grip.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once posted this problem on FM some time ago, If I remember rightly someone said to cut off the hook holder but I had no intensions of doing that. Looking at my rods the reel holder is only just nipped onto the actual thread when I struggle to get a reel foot into it. It's safe enough but there's no room left to play with even if the hook keeper was absent.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's only a problem if you are an owner of new reels with unreasonably large feet, you are attempting to use excessively large reels on inappropriate rods, or if you have a penchant for old reels made before modern screw type reel seats were even contemplated (for match rods, mid nineties?).

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my acolyte, the only centre pin reel that would fit was an Allcock Ariel Match. My Speedia and original Stanton reels were both too long in the foot. I solved it by using a file and emery cloth to reduce the foot lengths and achive the correct fit. Worked fine for me although I doubt most people would want to do that. Pete.

bracket

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my acolyte, the only centre pin reel that would fit was an Allcock Ariel Match. My Speedia and Stanton reels were both too long in the foot. I solved it by using a file and emery cloth to reduce the foot lengths and tapers to achive the correct fit. Worked fine for me although I doubt most people would want to do that. Pete.

bracket

Reaction score
Sorry about the duplication. Don't know how that happened. Pete.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's only a problem if you are an owner of new reels with unreasonably large feet, you are attempting to use excessively large reels on inappropriate rods, or if you have a penchant for old reels made before modern screw type reel seats were even contemplated (for match rods, mid nineties?).

Even some of my modern reels are tight as cramp to fit on the acolyte rods, they aren't large reels either.
I still have some rods with the sliding reel holders which will accommodate most reels available from the past or the present ;).
It appears a lot of the American anglers prefer the sliding reel holders, maybe this is one of the reasons they do so.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Even some of my modern reels are tight as cramp to fit on the acolyte rods, they aren't large reels either.
I still have some rods with the sliding reel holders which will accommodate most reels available from the past or the present ;).
It appears a lot of the American anglers prefer the sliding reel holders, maybe this is one of the reasons they do so.

I've just got my big pit 7000 sized spod and marker reel out to see if it's an issue to get it on the Acolytes. The reel foot on it is 67.1mm long and it goes on no problem at all. Any modern manufacturer making reel feet bigger than that, on reels that can reasonably be expected to be fitted on a match rod, are a bit bloody stupid.

May I ask which modern reels you struggle to get on an Acolyte? I shall avoid them like the plague. If they can make such a basic design error with the size of a reel foot, what might they be cocking up on the more complex bits? They've got a valid excuse with old reels, but none at all with anything made post 2000.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just got my big pit 7000 sized spod and marker reel out to see if it's an issue to get it on the Acolytes. The reel foot on it is 67.1mm long and it goes on no problem at all. Any modern manufacturer making reel feet bigger than that, on reels that can reasonably be expected to be fitted on a match rod, are a bit bloody stupid.

May I ask which modern reels you struggle to get on an Acolyte? I shall avoid them like the plague. If they can make such a basic design error with the size of a reel foot, what might they be cocking up on the more complex bits? They've got a valid excuse with old reels, but none at all with anything made post 2000.

Just had a quick nosey Chris. The reel seat one of my 13ft acolytes measures 65 mil opened right up to the tash. My 4 1/2inch stanny measures 65 along the graphite foot and my stradic FJ 2500 foot measures 63 mil long. I didn't measure my daiwa TDR 3012 but tried it and it went in easy enough but had to have one end of the foot slid in first before the other end would go on (if you get my meaning). This was the same with the Stanny and the stradic. So long as they go on i'm happy but they are quite tight. The Allerton waggler seat isn't massive either. The normark seat is as you'd expect...perfect . The good thing about the normark is that you can unscrew it fully, slide it up the blank and clean it all out if necessary.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just had a quick nosey Chris. The reel seat one of my 13ft acolytes measures 65 mil opened right up to the tash. My 4 1/2inch stanny measures 65 along the graphite foot and my stradic FJ 2500 foot measures 63 mil long. I didn't measure my daiwa TDR 3012 but tried it and it went in easy enough but had to have one end of the foot slid in first before the other end would go on (if you get my meaning). This was the same with the Stanny and the stradic. So long as they go on i'm happy but they are quite tight. The Allerton waggler seat isn't massive either. The normark seat is as you'd expect...perfect . The good thing about the normark is that you can unscrew it fully, slide it up the blank and clean it all out if necessary.

I've just had a look at a few different rods. The smallest aperture is a Shimano Aerocast at 59.1mm. The largest, just before the fore end screws off the thread, is my Normark Titan at 74.5mm. Most fall somewhere between 65 and 70mm. For balance, my chub spod rod is only 73.1mm. I can get the Shimano spod reel, with its 67.1mm foot, on every rod bar the Aerocast. It's whipping in front of the fore end that prohibits greater movement on this rod, not the hook keeper, which is another 10mm further up the blank. Fortunately, every sensible choice of reel I own still goes on this rod. This includes a JW Young reel with a 66.6mm reel foot. It just squeezes on.

It may be sensible for those with outlandish reels to check, but I don't think it's reasonable to berate Drennan for the size of the reels seats, or the position of the hook keeper, on the Acolyte rods. Using the Normarks as a benchmark isn't fair either as they are not close to being representative of average.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Using the Normarks as a benchmark isn't fair either as they are not close to being representative of average.

Prolly right about that with the normarks being the bees knees n'all :cool: :D.

I'm not berating the acolytes, as you know I've gone from not being very impressed with them to being smitten with 'em...imo they are one of the top float rods that I've ever used.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've had a related but different problem: the foot on the 5" Stanton is too small and thin to fit tight in the sliding rings on my old 12' Daiwa Powermesh Avon, thereby preventing what might have been a happy marriage for fishing in the margins.
If I liked the rod more, I'd fit a screw reel seat. But I'm not that keen on the reel, either. Another case of decent items neither used nor sold as I'd likely get so little for them, so they'll just add to the things tripping me up in the spare room.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I inherited two Stantons. One has the small graphite composite reel foot the other had a huge aluminium foot that did not fit any of my modern rods so I did the brutal thing and filed it down until it was OK. That said, I have form when it comes to altering rods and reels using a junior hacksaw and some files! Even my Mitchell Matches have the anti-reverse lever sawn in half so that it doesn't alter when I hold the rod between my legs when catapulting out feed.

Molehill

Reaction score
Personally I would remove the hook keeper from the acolyte and fully unscrew the reel fitting, I find the hook keeper ridiculously small anyway, next to useless.

With reel feet that are loose fitting, typically on older rods with sliding winch fittings on old cork, I use a piece of self adhesive cork tape. Stick it on the bottom of the reel foot, trim the edges and that's enough to bulk the foot up. It peels off cleanly when you've finished. Worked for me for years, always have a couple of bits in my tackle box, just in case I change reels or something.