Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default match rod and reel fittings

just wondering if anyone has tried to put an oringal stanton center pin reel on a acolyte 15 ft rod you can not unscrew the top half of the handle it hits the the hook keeper ring and if you get the reel seat in can you get it back on

Default Re: match rod and reel fittings

If it helps at all, the reel seat gaps on my four Acolyte float rods vary from 67 to 69mm. The two fifteen footers are 67 and 67.4mm respectively. I've not got any type of Stanton to measure, but reckon that you should be able to squeeze a reel foot up to about 70mm into the 67mm reel seat aperture.

The reel foot on my adcock Stanton pin is 68mm long, if that's any help.

It's a Fuji 16mm DPS right ? If you unscrew it completely at the top rotating collar and slide it up out of the way it will easily be relocated once you've fitted the reel's foot. Just align the hoods

I manage to get the stantons onto my acolytes. I back the collar off as far as possible. Then place the reel foot into/under one of the cups/holders on an angle and slide it in a far as it will go. Then the other end of the foot usually fits in ok. Some of the reel holders are tighter than others and I have this problem with a number of reels! It appears to be the hook keeper which is the main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Richox12 View Post
    It's a Fuji 16mm DPS right ? If you unscrew it completely at the top rotating collar and slide it up out of the way it will easily be relocated once you've fitted the reel's foot. Just align the hoods
    You can't unscrew it completely due to the positioning of a hook keeper ring at the very end of the screw thread travel. It's the main reason for the slight discrepancy in measurements between different rods. You could force it open a little further, but you risk destroying the cork on the fore grip.

I once posted this problem on FM some time ago, If I remember rightly someone said to cut off the hook holder but I had no intensions of doing that. Looking at my rods the reel holder is only just nipped onto the actual thread when I struggle to get a reel foot into it. It's safe enough but there's no room left to play with even if the hook keeper was absent.

It's only a problem if you are an owner of new reels with unreasonably large feet, you are attempting to use excessively large reels on inappropriate rods, or if you have a penchant for old reels made before modern screw type reel seats were even contemplated (for match rods, mid nineties?).
    Last edited by sam vimes; 23-11-2017 at 12:09.

I had the same problem with my acolyte, the only centre pin reel that would fit was an Allcock Ariel Match. My Speedia and original Stanton reels were both too long in the foot. I solved it by using a file and emery cloth to reduce the foot lengths and achive the correct fit. Worked fine for me although I doubt most people would want to do that. Pete.
    Casternets

I had the same problem with my acolyte, the only centre pin reel that would fit was an Allcock Ariel Match. My Speedia and Stanton reels were both too long in the foot. I solved it by using a file and emery cloth to reduce the foot lengths and tapers to achive the correct fit. Worked fine for me although I doubt most people would want to do that. Pete.
    Casternets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast