What do you make of this?

fishplate42

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread about a fishery that had a rule banning telescopic 'rods' (See HERE). I wrote to them, politely asking if the ban included telescopic poles/topkits.

Well, today (eventually) I received this e-mail. I will post it in full, word for word, copied from inbox...

Ralph
During periods of maintainace we have had two incidence

Working in the water my dry suit has been punctured by a broken telescopic
I nearly passed out with the cold shock
A second incident three years later resulted in a man with a gash in the waist from a telescopic

They are dangerous
Health and safety risk don't use them on this water
Gabriels Fishery

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 4:42 pm, Ralph wrote:
Hello,

I have just been reading your rules and one rule states no telescopic

rods of any kind. Does that include telescopic poles and poles with

telescopic top kits?

Kind regards,

Ralph Laughton,

London.

What do you make of that? I have never heard of such a strange rule and even more peculiar response.

HERE is a link to the fishery rules from their website. They even talk about confiscating tackle and bait they don't like - is that even legal?

Ralph.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
What a load of nonsense. Its someone leaving litter in the water not the rod itself.
Anyway that may or may not be the real reason. Or maybe its the reasons aired in your original thread and this is a way of avoiding controversy????

mikench

Reaction score
Odd very odd but then I am not a pole or whip user. Some clubs have odd rules!

On a few of my waters there is a ban on boilies, bloodworm and jokers:) Why am I banned?:rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
Good luck to them trying to carry out the threats contained in rules # 8 and 12 they have no authority to "confiscate" any item that is owned legally to do so without authority would I imagine be theft, trespass is not a prosecutable act, its not even an offence unless damage is done to the land being trespassed on.

mikench

Reaction score
Trespass is a civil offence save in some specific circumstances not associated with fishing( defence establishments, official secrets etc) and whilst the claimant does not need to show damage per se, only nominal damages (£1) may be won with a potential liability to costs.

The taking of tackle is unlikely to be criminal either unless there is an intention to permanently deprive. It will be the civil tort of conversion however and thus actionable.

Fishing is complicated enough!:rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Given the list of "rules"then personally I'd not bother fishing at a venue like that.

Vote with your feet and find somewhere else to fish as I'm sure it would be far more enjoyable . . . .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suspect he's written you a complete load of boll0x, bit difficult to say the truth to a total stranger with the explanation that was comprehensively given in your earlier thread.

At least he had the courtesy to reply.:)

nottskev

Reaction score
I could just about stretch to a possible explanation for banning telescopics - easier to carry and disguise by poachers etc.

But they are banned because broken telescopics inflicted injury on two people in the water in drysuits? Beyond me.

No wonder you're baffled, Ralph. I know waters where there are a few pole sections sitting harmlessly on the bottom, but none where discarded telescopic rods are deemed hazardous enough to feature in the rules!

fishplate42

Reaction score
It is a shame because it looks like a nice place from the pictures on the website, but if I can't use a telescopic pole or whip then I don't want to fish there, apart from the threat of having my gear/bait confiscated!

Has anyone here fished this venue?

Ralph.

B

binka

To be fair, other than the rather bizarre banning of telescopic rods, I don't see anything else in the rules as unreasonable or overly restrictive.

I would even go as far as to say that rule no.5 is especially well considered, having in the past witnessed carp being dragged halfway around a lake so as to be released in an area where they won't go on to disturb the swim being fished.

I've taken the comments with regard to confiscation of tackle or bait in the context of anyone using the things which are specifically banned, in which case the user only has themselves to blame.

fishplate42

Reaction score
To be fair, other than the rather bizarre banning of telescopic rods, I don't see anything else in the rules as unreasonable or overly restrictive.

I would even go as far as to say that rule no.5 is especially well considered, having in the past witnessed carp being dragged halfway around a lake so as to be released in an area where they won't go on to disturb the swim being fished.

I've taken the comments with regard to confiscation of tackle or bait in the context of anyone using the things which are specifically banned, in which case the user only has themselves to blame.

I can live with most of the rules. They may not be put over in the best tone but if that is the way they want to play it, fine. It is their fishery. It is the ridiculous reasoning behind the banning of the telescopic rods/poles/whips that would stop me going, as I like fishing for silvers with my telescopic gear.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with Steves comments. Haven't been fishing for long but have fished a venue with few if any rules and others with a lengthy list of do's and dont's, think I prefer the latter scenario, even in my short time I've witnessed just how irresponsible certain anglers can be with little respect for their fellow anglers, fishery owners or the stock.. Ironically a water I fished with hardly any regulation has contracted the KHV virus this Summer and is still open for business.

Ralph, you say you wish to join the CDAA next year. You'd better have a long hard look at their rule book which is constantly changing I might add, on certain waters they go even further on what can and cannot be used, the bailiffs do their best to enforce these regs. too. Everything is aimed at the welfare of the fish so I have no issues with strict policies.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I would never fish a water where the owners think they can confiscate an anglers tackle or bait, they cannot unless they are the police or an EA bailiff, this rule #2 Unsuitable Rods & Tackle will be confiscated is just farcical.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Ralph, you say you wish to join the CDAA next year. You'd better have a long hard look at their rule book which is constantly changing I might add, on certain waters they go even further on what can and cannot be used, the bailiffs do their best to enforce these regs. too. Everything is aimed at the welfare of the fish so I have no issues with strict policies.

John, I have no problem with rules, but this post is not about having a problem with a rule. As I have said, I respect the rules, and the one about no telescopic rods/poles means I can't fish there - so I won't.

It is the explanation given - yes it is the owners right to make whatever rules they want. I respect that, I just don't understand the logic, do you?

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is a shame because it looks like a nice place from the pictures on the website, but if I can't use a telescopic pole or whip then I don't want to fish there, apart from the threat of having my gear/bait confiscated!

Has anyone here fished this venue?

Ralph.

The rules state "telescopic rods", no mention of poles or whips. I notice too that the reply didn't answer your question regarding that definition.

I also see that there is a lake designed to cater for match fishing, no poles allowed in matches either?

Edit: if the rules haven't changed, get yourself down there Ralph.

The Maggotdrowners Forum - Gabriels Fishery, Edenbridge

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
The rules state "telescopic rods", no mention of poles or whips. I notice too that the reply didn't answer your question regarding that definition.

I also see that there is a lake designed to cater for match fishing, no poles allowed in matches either?

Well, he quotes 'a telescopic' in his reply. I asked about telescopic poles and top kits he was answering that - or so I thought. I don't know; I am not bothered. I am not going to find out as there are plenty of other venues I would rather fish at anyway, after reading the rules and the fishery response.

Ralph.