Fishing bread

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My normal ledgering method on rivers is cage feeder with some liki bread in and flake on the hook with a hooklink around 10" .

Only thing I find when fishing in weir pools over far bank flake comes off the hook easy . Flake is pinched around the shank on a size 8 or 10 .

Any advice how to keep it on better for a long cast?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I have had little success with bread Matt and never know if it remains on the hook whether it is punch, flake, wetbread or even flake attached to one of those clear silicon bread envelopes marketed by Greys I believe!

I have yet to use it trotting and perhaps you could try Philips rubbery baguette technique ! I doubt you could ever have a good heave ho with flake on the hook!

I often start with bread but soon revert to maggot or corn! Perhaps it's just me!:(

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have had little success with bread Matt and never know if it remains on the hook whether it is punch, flake, wetbread or even flake attached to one of those clear silicon bread envelopes marketed by Greys I believe!

I have yet to use it trotting and perhaps you could try Philips rubbery baguette technique ! I doubt you could ever have a good heave ho with flake on the hook!

I often start with bread but soon revert to maggot or corn! Perhaps it's just me!:(
In this weir pool about 20ft from the weir face towards the edge if pool if put a few feeders of bread with a few punch discs on a size 14 you will get the roach and there totally different to still water or slow river roach !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Oh Mike thinking about it the weir pool was on bristol avon but on the upper Thames had 3 trips with bread and cheese paste and maggots and nothing now . Starting to think where has the fish gone ?!

Tried far side near bushes and snags casting 10 minutes for an hour then near side bushes and trees and then out in main river too .

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Buy naturally tacky bread e.g. Warburton's Toastie, which is what I normally use, give however many slices you want to take for hookbait 10 seconds each on high power in the microwave and then put, whilst still hot, in a plastic bag.

At the waterside, tear off a piece of flake, pinch the middle between finger and thumb, and hook once through the flattened part (don't try to wrap it round the shank as most of the books tell you to do).

I find this stays on a treat, sometimes even for repeated casts.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I used to have little faith in bread staying on a hook until I found two things. The first is similar to David's post about using the microwave. However, the method I saw went a step further in removing the crusts and rolling the microwaved slice after the blast in the microwave. Unless a bite interrupts proceedings, I expect to get the bait back even after a retrieve through fast water.

The other discovery was Magic Bread. It's tough enough to withstand serious distance casting when banded. It will also stay on for hours.

mikench

Reaction score
As you might expect Sam I have some magic bread but never used it!:) How do you band it ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Rolling the microwaved slice and magic bread is the way I also go - I was introduced to the microwave method by a match angling pal of mine some 15 years ago and it certainly works well.

PS Mike, you can buy a bander from the people the sell MB - also a pellet bander from the t/s will work the same.

mikench

Reaction score
Matt magic bread looks the wáy to go! I have just found my block and have put it in the car ready for next time out!:)

chrissh

Reaction score

associatedmatt

Reaction score
What on earth is magic bread ?

mikench

Reaction score
A bit like magic mushrooms only for fish!:rolleyes:

Look up Sensas Magic bread Matt on google or just magic bread fishing for all the details you need to need. The product is marketed as magic bread !

sam vimes

Reaction score
As you might expect Sam I have some magic bread but never used it!:) How do you band it ?

Small bands, either on the shank of a hook or on a hair. Use fairly large bits of wetted magic bread. Use a bander and poke the chunk of magic bread through the band. You can always trim it down a little.

Matt magic bread looks the wáy to go! I have just found my block and have put it in the car ready for next time out!:)

I wouldn't bother putting it in the car. It's a complete PITA to cut, especially on the bank. Better off cutting a couple of slices off and taking it in a clip lock type Tupperware tub. You have to soak it to use it anyway, so a watertight container is a bonus. Don't soak too much in one go and don't get the unused dry stuff wet unintentionally.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Small bands, either on the shank of a hook or on a hair. Use fairly large bits of wetted magic bread. Use a bander and poke the chunk of magic bread through the band. You can always trim it down a little.

I wouldn't bother putting it in the car. It's a complete PITA to cut, especially on the bank. Better off cutting a couple of slices off and taking it in a clip lock type Tupperware tub. You have to soak it to use it anyway, so a watertight container is a bonus. Don't soak too much in one go and don't get the unused dry stuff wet unintentionally.
How does it work ?

Soaking ... How much water and for how long and how much does it swell ?

Anyone know ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Just enough water to wet it all. It doesn't swell as such, just goes soft as opposed to rock hard and brittle as it is dry.
Has anyone tried to bank proper bread before ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I used to use it a lot for chub, in the days when they roamed the earth round here (it does seem as long ago as the dinosaurs).

Putting your slices in the steam from a kettle - use tongs - helps make it tacky. Keep the slices bagged and take out one at a time.

The Drennan Flake Punch - a short stem with multiple heads, shaped a bit like a footprint , does a good job. And I didn't think it would!

And as **** Walker said, about keeping bread on the hook by making the bait too hard, " I don't want my bread to stay on the hook; I want it off, replaced by a fish."