Bite Alarms

steve2

Reaction score
Am I missing something?

I was going to put bite alarms on my Christmas list till I checked and the choice is now ridiculous. Just what does a £100 alarms do that a £10 one doesn’t? Why do you have an alarm with a range of 400 plus metres? Why do you need to have it blue toothed to your phone you are supposed in control of your rods not down the shops.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just what does a £100 alarms do that a £10 one doesn’t?

Generally stands a better chance of working properly in all weathers.
Will probably have a wireless remote facility and other extra features.

Why do you have an alarm with a range of 400 plus metres?

Because those with shorter ranges often struggle to reach a remote a few yards away from the heads, especially in adverse conditions.

Why do you need to have it blue toothed to your phone.

You don't, unless you fancy using your phone as a remote.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree it's overkill just like having an electrical appliance linked to the internet!:)

I have a simple Chub something or other which chirrups at a low volume and is really all I need . I think it was about £20 and recommended by Robtherake! It has proved to be reliable and caught me done decent carp and bream!

thecrow

Reaction score
When I used alarms the ones I had were delkims, one broke down in France and when I got back I took it into work and asked the instrument fitters if they could repair it, they told me they could get the internals for around £10 :eek: they did repair it at no cost to me but I felt ripped off and would never pay that sort of cash again.

sam vimes

Reaction score
When I used alarms the ones I had were delkims, one broke down in France and when I got back I took it into work and asked the instrument fitters if they could repair it, they told me they could get the internals for around £10 :eek: they did repair it at no cost to me but I felt ripped off and would never pay that sort of cash again.

Most electronic devices have very little intrinsic value. When they are made in relatively small numbers, it's even worse.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a set of three colour coded wireless Sundrige bite alarms in a alloy case and they where superb for the money, I think they where about 70 notes all in and that included the case and backdrops.

Philip

Reaction score
I seem to collect Alarms...I have literally lost count.

Interanaly I would agree with the others that I dont think there is a huge difference between them. Some maybe roller wheel, others vibration and so on but they are all much of muchness with a few bells and whistles attached.

Where there can be some difference is in the weatherproofing so there is something to be said for getting cheaper ones and giving them a waterproof makeover.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had some fox alarms years ago and they where some of their higher end ones, anyhow if it rained heavy they ceased to work!
I have some delkims now but only their cheapest models and on the few occasions that I've used them they have been reliable even in very heavy prolonged rain.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
You need the remotes if you want to be notified when in the pub or chippies. Or in bed.

Philip

Reaction score
Totally waterproof, vibration sensing, needs no batteries and weighs nothing. :D

philip-albums-misc-picture4333-rod-bell.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had entry level Fox and Chub alarms. Didn't like the Foxes at all...the Chubs were better IMO but I didn't like the single led which I couldn't always see when fishing two rods and I hated the convoluted way of adjusting them. So I bought a pair of the cheapest Delks with their dead easy manual adjustment dials and I love em.

My only tiny niggle is that I cannot get both on exactly the same tone but that's really not a big deal bankside. I don't need a remote as I'm " Old School" ie always next to me rods and awake when I'm fishing not fast a kip or 200 m away chatting to a mate.

Another Dave

Reaction score
I had entry level Fox and Chub alarms. Didn't like the Foxes at all...the Chubs were better IMO but I didn't like the single led which I couldn't always see when fishing two rods and I hated the convoluted way of adjusting them. So I bought a pair of the cheapest Delks with their dead easy manual adjustment dials and I love em.

My only tiny niggle is that I cannot get both on exactly the same tone but that's really not a big deal bankside. I don't need a remote as I'm " Old School" ie always next to me rods and awake when I'm fishing not fast a kip or 200 m away chatting to a mate.

I once had the original Delkim conversions which actually made me a cool person back in the day. However i was terrible at catching carp and i'm a very deep sleeper.

john step

Reaction score
Steve, I usually dislike anything with a minor celebrity "name" on it but I would not hesitate to recommend those TFG "dave Lane" magrunners alarms. (whoever Dave Lane is)

I have had a set of 3 for a number of years. Basic alarms with a remote and a silent but vibrating mode.
The actual alarms without the remote on are very quiet and you can buy mufflers to kill the noise completely relying on the vibration only or in fact one of the 3 noise levels..if that makes sense?

I can vouch for the waterproof and idiot proof ability as I have abused them in all weathers for those years.
I even dropped the remote in the drink and managed to fish it out in the landing net. Taken home and given the hairdryer treatment, it still works.

I see in the current brochure they are £69.99 for three with remote.

iain t

Reaction score
I have a pair of no name alarms from China. They cost me about £5 delivered for the pair. Bought about 6 years ago. Never let me down and the PP3 battery has lasted over 2 years so far. They have volume, tone and sensitivity buttons. The sensitivity of the alarms are second to none. A Stickleback even set them off. They have been out in all weather.For £2.50 each and after 6 years, if they went wrong i'll just bin them and buy another one.

steve2

Reaction score
I remember that the first alarm I had was a Heron I modified it with an extension cable so I could hear it in the tent. No bivvy back then we used tents. Herons suffered badly in the rain and were not reliable.
Thing have certainly moved on from those days but an alarm still only tells you when you have bite quite simple really.

flightliner

Reaction score
I still have my original Dellareeds bought in '78 or 9.
A year later I had them converted Delkim. Style with GPO speakers for the princely sum of £6.
In all the intervening years they have been out in wind, rain, snow, the lot and still work perfectly never letting me down.
When I'm Breaming or Tenching several carpers on the water often remark on them, several have offered to buy them (£100 the pair from one) , apparently "retro" is cool .
But no, I prefer to keep them, super bits of kit.