rod colour

sam vimes

Reaction score
Grey to black, matt or gloss. The only real colour I want to see on a rod is coloured edgings to the whippings. I don't mind seeing weave or spiral wrap patterns, but that's about as much decoration as I want.

iain t

Reaction score
Am not too much bothered about the colour as long as the blank has a semi matt to matt finish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Btitish racing green ; ideally with a little castle symbol!:rolleyes:

I like the racing green colour :cool:.

I prefer a gloss blank and I like to see tippets on the whippings. I don't mind graphics on the blank, the rod makers name and name of rod if it's done nicely. I like to see the line ratings etc also.

I really don't like a mat finish unless like the drennan acolyte the blank has some kind'a weave on it.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd have said black a la Normark Titan is hard to beat. But I've many rods that aren't black, and some very good to look at.

These are all different, and mostly fine by me. But you can probably guess which one might just get sprayed from a can one day.

colour.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
I think Tigger's right - it's not just colour, the graphics and so on can make a big difference.

colour1.jpg

No disrespect to Daiwa, or Daiwa fans. They make some of the best rods. But the graphics here...... would you believe the Daiwa was the most expensive of the bunch?

rayner

Reaction score
So long as the action is what I want the colour really doesn't matter.
I couldn't tell you the colour of anything other than guess or unless my wife tells me.
Strange really mentioning rods as I have what medics call (rod monochromacy) colour blindness.

nottskev

Reaction score
So long as the action is what I want the colour really doesn't matter.
I couldn't tell you the colour of anything other than guess or unless my wife tells me.
Strange really mentioning rods as I have what medics call (rod monochromacy) colour blindness.

Does it affect what colour tip you see best on a float or quiver tip?

rayner

Reaction score
Coloured tips just seems to disappear depending on the colour of the water if it becomes difficult to see I use tip ex or a marker pen, same with floats.
It's not a problem I've had it since birth so know no difference.
Used to get laughed at a lot at school in art, especially when painting trees with green trunks and brown leaves.

nottskev

Reaction score
Coloured tips just seems to disappear depending on the colour of the water if it becomes difficult to see I use tip ex or a marker pen, same with floats.
It's not a problem I've had it since birth so know no difference.
Used to get laughed at a lot at school in art, especially when painting trees with green trunks and brown leaves.

Fair enough. It's surprising what the brain can get used to. I got a pair of birdwatching binoculars as a present, aged about 14. I complained the prisms were mis-aligned as I saw two images. Then everyone else in the family tried them and said they were fine...... I found out that day that I'd always had, and still have, double vision. It seems your brain attends to one image and ignores the other.

Don't worry about the trees - they laughed at Pablo Picasso, the fools. :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't worry about colour if the rod feels right and I like it however, th e last one I bought was green and if pushed I would choose that. I also like the look of cane rods, they always look like they belong, but some will say on the allotment.

B

binka

Absolutely any colour at all for me, I really don't mind or have any preference whatsoever.

As long as it's olive green.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned the best colour of all . . . .

Varnished natural cane . . . . ;)

But have you bought one Steve or is it still an aspiration? I reckon you are making a fortune flogging lost golf balls!:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned the best colour of all . . . .

Varnished natural cane . . . . ;)

Absolutly 100% with you Peter ...but how do you get a Carbon blank to go that colour ?:D

Philip

Reaction score
Bruce & Walker and Daiwa have managed it with Hexagraph, Hexagon Whisker and Carbon Greenheart respectively.

Interesting..the Hexagraphs I remember where black, sounds like they can pretty much do anything nowadays with Rod colour.

My preferences..well ok not preference but off the top of my head ..

yep racing green is nice colour in general for rods.
Blue for float rods
Dark Maroon/Chesnut - Carp rods
Mustard - Beachcasters
Dark brown - Sea fishing boat rods (I got one in that colour and it looks ok ..while another in light green looks awful)
Glarey black with a touch of red trim...spinning rods
Cant decide for fly rods...maybe dusty red.

However all things said and done ...i'd probably go for a unobstrusive dark matt colour for everything.

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
I think Tigger's right - it's not just colour, the graphics and so on can make a big difference.

colour1.jpg

No disrespect to Daiwa, or Daiwa fans. They make some of the best rods. But the graphics here...... would you believe the Daiwa was the most expensive of the bunch?

The spectrons are so cheap looking, it’s very shallow of me I know but I get less pleasure out of fishing with that version of the spectron than the m2 which is a lovely rod to look at.

caelan

Reaction score
I do not know what i would like as i am colour blind in reds/browns/green /blues i have to ask my grandson the colours of things which he still finds funny he makes me laught tho